Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch guys. Any clue what this is worth?

Watch guys. Any clue what this is worth?

I purchased this Rolex in 1983. When cell phones came around and gave more accurate time I stopped wearing a watch. I think it has been 25 years since I have worn this watch. You can see that the luminescent material has yellowed and I think it’s dead. Not necessarily looking to part with it but have become curious about how much I could get for it.

Ballpark worth? I have no clue. I’m not a watch guy. I purchased it because my dad always talked about how he wanted and should have gotten a Rolex.

Name:  285F2C45-A19E-4F50-BF84-D4131A0615BA.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  62.7 KB

You had good taste! Stainless steel no date submariners are like the air cooled Porsche 911s of the watch world. I guarantee it’s worth several multiples of $825 (what I see on the price tag in the picture). With all of the original packaging and paperwork etc. you might be pushing close to $10k.

Get a Submariner guru to evaluate it because certain variations bring good money ($8-12k) and other variations bring ridiculous prices ($20k+).
    It'd suck to find out you jumped on the first $10k and the guy who bought it flipped it for $20k the next day.
    @Duke
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I have no idea, but defer to the guys above and mentioned.

That is a pretty cool watch though, no doubt.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

One quick bit of advice DO NOT even dream of sending it off to Rolex to be serviced!
    That faded dial adds a few thousand $ to the value, if Rolex replaces it with a new dial you just cratered the price.
    For now, leave it alone until it's been evaluated by a real Submariner guru.

That appears to be a reference 5512 or 5513, which are extremely popular references with collectors. For collectors, the condition of the box, papers, and original receipt as well as the condition play a huge role in value. The accessories with that watch combined with the original condition of the watch make for a nice package.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    One quick bit of advice DO NOT even dream of sending it off to Rolex to be serviced!
    That faded dial adds a few thousand $ to the value, if Rolex replaces it with a new dial you just cratered the price.
    For now, leave it alone until it's been evaluated by a real Submariner guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That appears to be a reference 5512 or 5513, which are extremely popular references with collectors. For collectors, the condition of the box, papers, and original receipt as well as the condition play a huge role in value. The accessories with that watch combined with the original condition of the watch make for a nice package.

All of this plus -

It will not lose value. Ever. In its current shape it’s worth ^enough^ to hold on to it.

It’s also worth ^enough^ that you can be selective of who you sell it to and when.

If that were mine. And I had decided to sell it....the photos should be enough for any dealer to make a -/+ 5% offer before you needing to send it to them.

To that id only send it to someone like David SW, Fog city vintage or Paul at Bob’s watches.

But if it were mine - I’d stick it back in whatever safe it’s been in for 35 years and wait. When lesser condition pieces hit 20k due to simple lack of supply, then I’d dig it out and start taking bids.

The vintage Rolex market can be a minefield. But as a seller with an known condition/Authenticity piece, you hold
    a lot of the power.

The downside to having a vintage piece worth $30-40k is finding a guy who is ready to drop the cash when you’re ready to sell, in a geographic location that’s convenient and safe for such a transaction.

I’m not saying it’s a 30-40k piece - yet. But it could be.....

Contact Eric Wind at windvintage.com. He will give you a good ballpark figure. He gets excited about subs, even if he can’t buy them. He’s ericmwind on IG if you want to chat with him there.

This is him talking Subs:
    Last edited by theJanitor; 07-26-2020 at 09:27 AM.

I’d wear it, but that’s just me

User Tag List