Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All things four wheel drive thread. Pics/Videos

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Meh. Slickrock. That's essentially a paved surface based on the videos I've seen (real popular with mountain bikers, but looks like riding in skate park to me). I didn't see any ground clearance issues either.

We don't have that here. Our rocks are covered with dirt, muck, and water. Sometimes the rocks aren't even anchored in place.

Chris
    Yes, its not as challenging as it first appears. I went a lot of crazy places in an old 2wd IH farm pickup before getting 4wd pickups. Chains made a huge difference in mud and snow. Nothing replaces 4wd or some modifications, its still funny to see people claim many things like special tall megatires and extensive vehicle mods are absolutely required to go nearly anywhere off pavement. I see much the same thing in motorcycles. "Good thing we had our XYZ super offroad all purpose superbikes...(insert long list of tires and other offroad specialty items)." when all the vids and pics in the ride report looks like pretty easy stuff on an H-D big twin (said by someone thats ridden an H-D hardtail and swingarm on many many miles of dirt roads).
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    a sanctimonious colleague....
    her Subaru....
    Fucking people...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Yes, its not as challenging as it first appears. I went a lot of crazy places in an old 2wd IH farm pickup before getting 4wd pickups. Chains made a huge difference in mud and snow. Nothing replaces 4wd or some modifications, its still funny to see people claim many things like special tall megatires and extensive vehicle mods are absolutely required to go nearly anywhere off pavement. I see much the same thing in motorcycles. "Good thing we had our XYZ super offroad all purpose superbikes...(insert long list of tires and other offroad specialty items)." when all the vids and pics in the ride report looks like pretty easy stuff on an H-D big twin (said by someone thats ridden an H-D hardtail and swingarm on many many miles of dirt roads).
    I did a lot of camping in the Mojave with lowered sporty cars and four-inch sidewalls. Just pay attention to where the wheels are going.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

No cool action shots but here's my '84 K5. I call it Waldo. It's currently having a new radiator and fan clutch put in it. I want to lift it, either 2 or 4", haven't decided but I'm leaning toward 2".
    Name:  K5.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  103.2 KB

I wanted a comfortable daily that got close 20mpg but also had 4wd so I could go on longer trips to explore ghost towns and out-of-the-way places that my 2wd Sonoma wasn't suited for. So I got this pile specifically because it has a manual transfer case and manual hubs. Then everything broke. I'm still shaking it down for issues but soon it'll be getting some new wheels and tires and eventually it'll get repainted. I currently refer to it as Purple Rain. Might change it to Prince after the paint job.
    Name:  Ranger.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  95.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

No pics, but I had a Bronco II and a Jeep Cherokee, both on 31's that took me a surprising number of places. I miss those days.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    No pics, but I had a Bronco II and a Jeep Cherokee, both on 31's that took me a surprising number of places. I miss those days.
    I would rock a Bronco II. Even looked at several on Craigslist and such.

If I something happened to my Blazer I would get an XJ next most likely. That or one of the Grand Cherokees. One of my buddies has a '84 2 door with a 4 cylinder and a manual tranny. That thing was surprisingly good offroad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Anything done to the Jeep? Makes me miss the one like it I had!

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    The cobblestone path to our destination.

Attachment 57903

Sights from the trail. Mine, mill, critters, etc.

Attachment 57904

Attachment 57905

Attachment 57906

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When I got my FJ rig, a sanctimonious colleague lectured me about how I was killing the planet with my "Humvee", and how her Subaru could go anywhere my truck could. I smiled and said "Ok, if you say so."
    Should i buy a new vehicle, or stick with what I own which doesn't add to your landfill?

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    Anything done to the Jeep? Makes me miss the one like it I had!
    Just a 2" lift and some LT245/65R17 8 ply BFG AT KO2's. Upgraded brake pads and zinc dichromate coated, drilled and slotted rotors. KYB Trail Boss large bore steering stabilizer shock.

It came with the Quadra-drive system with Vari-Lock carriers front and rear from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I would rock a Bronco II. Even looked at several on Craigslist and such.

If I something happened to my Blazer I would get an XJ next most likely. That or one of the Grand Cherokees. One of my buddies has a '84 2 door with a 4 cylinder and a manual tranny. That thing was surprisingly good offroad.
    XJ's are pretty rad. They're pretty light, and when the rust gets ahold of it, even lighter

User Tag List