Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reference Material: Red Dot Reticles Relative to Targets @ various distances

Reference Material: Red Dot Reticles Relative to Targets @ various distances

One of my biggest pet peeves is when optics makers show you this zoomed in view of their reticles and you get the idea that this thing looks giant and easy to use and then you get the thing in person and go "Well I can't see that chevron tip at all." (Primary Arms ACSS reticle at 1-3x is this way for me) What would help this is if they put their reticle against a known target size at a known distance and showed me that. Since very few optics makers seem to do this I thought "Well ok I guess I'll do it then."

I was inspired by this page that C-More has on their website:
    https://cmore.com/DotSize

Which is absolutely excellent resource that I link to anytime someone says they need a 2 MOA dot to be precise on a pistol; look if you prefer the 2 MOA dot by all means go buck wild but if you can't be precise with a 6 MOA dot inside of 25 yards it's you not the dot.

Anyway here's a bunch of pictures of reticles at different distances for you to reference if you are curious. I intend to do this with more of my optics over the next few months. I don't know if I should put this post here or in the rifles section or somewhere else because I intend to do this with my magnified optics as well at some point. If you'd like to do it with your optics as well please do.

Notes:

• My range has separate rifle and pistol ranges with the pistol range being able to stand anywhere inside of 25 yards; I did not go to the pistol range that day but I would like to take pictures of the reticles against the target at pistol distances as well at some point (Maybe 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards? I don't know yet)
      rifle range has fixed target berms at 25, 100 and 200 yards so that's where I put my targets
    • My rifle range has fixed target berms at 25, 100 and 200 yards so that's where I put my targets; sorry I can't do 50 yards.
    • Target is a paper USPSA Target
    • I used my camera at 2x zoom for all pictures
    • This is intended to show you how large the reticle looks relative to a target you are familiar with, not be a 100% accurate representation of what the sight picture looks like if you were behind the gun; hence why I was ok with 2x zoom on camera
    • Pictures were taken with a Pixel 3A phone so obviously it's not great but it gives you the idea, if you want to pony up the dough to buy me a camera or loan me a better camera I'd be happy to take them all again
    • It's hard to get the white balance perfect relative to the dot brightness so that the dot looks crisp in the pictures so forgive me is some of these are a bit bloomy or too dim it was really hard to tell on the range while looking at my phone.

The optics used were
    • Holosun 407CO with the 8 MOA ring reticle
    • Holosun 507c pictures taken with 2 MOA Dot only, 32 MOA ring only and 2 MOA dot + 32 MOA ring at all distances
    • Holosun 503CU with is a 2 MOA dot + 65 MOA ring; this model does not let you do ring only so no pictures of just the 65 MOA dot and the 2 MOA dot only seemed redundant with the 507c so I didn't see the point.

I'm not intending to show bias towards Holosun it's just what I brought with me.

The target used across all pictures:
    Name:  Target.jpg
Views: 3788
Size:  11.2 KB

2 MOA Dot Only:

Name:  2 MOA dot - 25 yards.jpg
Views: 6293
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  2 MOA dot - 100 yards.jpg
Views: 4035
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  2 MOA dot - 200 yards.jpg
Views: 4487
Size:  62.2 KB

2 MOA Dot w 32 MOA Ring:

Name:  2 MOA dot + 32 MOA Ring - 25 yards.jpg
Views: 4875
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  2 MOA dot + 32 MOA Ring - 100 yards.jpg
Views: 4492
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  2 MOA dot + 32 MOA Ring - 200 yards.jpg
Views: 6752
Size:  56.0 KB

32 MOA Ring Only:

Name:  32 MOA Ring - 25 yards.jpg
Views: 5112
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  32 MOA Ring - 100 yards.jpg
Views: 4498
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  32 MOA Ring - 200 yards.jpg
Views: 3921
Size:  63.9 KB

2 MOA Dot w 65 MOA Ring:

Name:  2 MOA dot + 65 MOA Ring - 25 yards.jpg
Views: 5096
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  2 MOA dot + 65 MOA Ring - 100 yards.jpg
Views: 4132
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  2 MOA dot + 65 MOA Ring - 200 yards.jpg
Views: 5254
Size:  43.2 KB

8 MOA Ring:

Name:  8 MOA Ring - 25 Yards.jpg
Views: 4162
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  8 MOA Ring - 100 Yards.jpg
Views: 3836
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  8 MOA Ring - 200 Yards - On-Target.jpg
Views: 4518
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  8 MOA Ring - 200 Yards - Off-Target.jpg
Views: 4474
Size:  65.3 KB

Observations
    • The 65 MOA ring is almost the same size as the width of the USPSA target
    • At 100 yards the 65 MOA is about twice the size of the height of the target which makes sense because 65 MOA is just shy of the 68 MOA EoTech uses which is designed to be the height of the average man.
    • At 25 yards the 32 MOA ring is almost the same size as the C zone of the USPSA target. GJM is an advocate for using just the ring and this picture kind of "prooves" that out because inside of 25 yards the 32 MOA ring is small enough you should have zero issues making accurate hits.
    • At 100 yards the 32 MOA ring is about the same size as the target is long suggesting you should still be able to get decent enough hits even out to 100 yards if you just center your target in the ring and line it up with the top & bottom of the ring.
    • At 25 yards the 8 MOA ring is a bit larger than the A-zone of the headbox of a USPSA target but because it's a ring it's totally doable
    • The 8 MOA ring is almost the exact same size as the target is wide at 200 yards which is why I took a picture with it on target then then just to the right of target. I think you could make your shots with this at 200 yards even if it wouldn't be quite as easy as it would be with the 2 MOA dot so my previous assertion that the 8 MOA ring is great for PCCs holds true and I'd go so far as to say the 8 MOA ring is still pretty good for a rifle as long as you are only making occasional 200 yards shots on larger targets; if you are going to shoot rabbits at 200 yards this 8 MOA ring might not be for you.

Questions for you:
    Was this useful/helpful/informative? Or was it a waste of time?
    Do you want me to do this with more reticles and these reticles at pistol distances?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm finding it very useful.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This is really cool. Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize that the forum resized the pictures.

Full size pictures are located: here

Hammertime
    Outstanding and informative post.

This is great info.

What Stoeger would say, is except zeroing and on a very unusual shot, if you are shooting the dot and not a streak of red, you are shooting too slow.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great info!

I actually just bought an 8 moa holosun based on the OPs recommendation to experiment with. I'm enjoying the 32 moa ring only on my v1 508t. Looking forward to a more precise ring and the ability to replace batteries easily.
    I hope it works out. If not I'll have a holosun v2 407co for sale in the next few months, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I actually just bought an 8 moa holosun based on the OPs recommendation to experiment with. I'm enjoying the 32 moa ring only on my v1 508t. Looking forward to a more precise ring and the ability to replace batteries easily.
    I hope it works out. If not I'll have a holosun v2 407co for sale in the next few months, lol.
    Honestly I like it so much that my only complaint is I wish they made it in their 509 or 403 series of optics that are are fully enclosed which would give me a little more piece of mind for using it on a rifle. As I said above it's going to be hard to use to make shots past 200 yards with it but for a rifle you intend to primarily be CQB I think it'd worth really well.

Super useful. Thanks for the effort to do this.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

User Tag List