Thread: Shot timer? (particularly Brownells choices)

Shot timer? (particularly Brownells choices)

I've been being cheap, and using one of the old timers at work, but I'm tired of hoping one is available, and need to get my own.

I know the AMG Commander has gotten much praise here, but I'm thinking of getting something that's available from Brownells, just because of the "Guaranteed Forever" policy, and all shot timers have a reputation for being "fragile."

So, what is the consensus on what is the best bang for the buck, from what's offered by Brownells?

Thanks in advance, for your advice.

I’m 3 years on a pact with no issues. But I keep it in the box in my range box. Rain hasn’t effected it nor has the inevitable drop onto gravel, dirt etc.

No cracked screen, no battery drain.

Brownells shows out of stock on it though.

Name:  083EE297-FFEB-4F54-A700-E1DBBB5C5B77.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  62.8 KB

I had a lot of good use out of a Pocket Pro II from Brownell’s. I vastly prefer my AMG Commander, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I had a lot of good use out of a Pocket Pro II from Brownell’s. I vastly prefer my AMG Commander, though.
    There’s a solid argument here for just buying what you know you want to begin with - and if it breaks- deal with it later.

As much as I like warranties...I like stuff that I like a lot more

Site Supporter
    I have been using the same Pocket Pro since 1998. I would not hesitate to buy the newer version if mine stops working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I've been being cheap, and using one of the old timers at work, but I'm tired of hoping one is available, and need to get my own.

I know the AMG Commander has gotten much praise here, but I'm thinking of getting something that's available from Brownells, just because of the "Guaranteed Forever" policy, and all shot timers have a reputation for being "fragile."

So, what is the consensus on what is the best bang for the buck, from what's offered by Brownells?

Thanks in advance, for your advice.
    I would pick the Pocket Pro 2 over the PACT Club Timer 3 or CED 7000. I've heard of durability issues with the CED 7000s and I didn't like the idea of having one extra thing to keep charged. Compared to the PACT, the Pocket Pro 2 has a screen backlight (useful in the dark), adjustable sensitivity in a menu as opposed to having to take the timer apart, and adjustable beep volume which is nice in dry fire.

The only problem I’ve had with my PPII is weak 9v battery leads. I have had to re solder the wires a couple times. Other than that, it’s been solid for the last 5 years

I’d go AMG if I was starting over today, and at some point I’ll probably get the AMG at some point and keep the PPII as a back up.

No experience with anything else.
    David S.

I've got a CED7000 and it's been good for many years. I did have to mail it in for repair at one time --- I think one of the buttons stopped working? Can't actually remember. The rechargeable battery lasts a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The only problem I’ve had with my PPII is weak 9v battery leads. I have had to re solder the wires a couple times. Other than that, it’s been solid for the last 5 years

I’d go AMG if I was starting over today, and at some point I’ll probably get the AMG at some point and keep the PPII as a back up.

No experience with anything else.
    I had to wiggle the battery compartment vs. battery on my PPII as well, from time to time, in order to get the battery to seat on the + and - leads. The leads themselves never did come loose but it's not like I needed to fend off sharks with that timer. Aside from it's Windows 3.1 look and feel, the PPII did work, and I never had to send it back to Brownell's for a replacement.

PS Hope all are well at home David. Looking forward to catching up at Tac Con '21, if you are going. Ms. Rich is coming along but not registered.

My pact club 3 broke after a few years of use, approximately 2 years.

Next I used a ced 7000 for several years and found it to be very user friendly. I disliked charging it and much prefer something with batteries. Had it about 6 years.

Now I use a pocket pro 2. While I found it less user friendly and don't like the display as much, i like it better than the other two options now that I've got used to it. I just keep some 9 volts in the range bag so if it dies then it's back up right away. Can't do that if it needs a charger like the ced7000. I just got it last year so I can't comment on longevity other than i saw a handful of them take a beating and keep on ticking when our club was running uspsa and I was still ro'ing.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List