Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lego: 3P-Z

Lego: 3P-Z

My latest Lego build is a variation of the Light Saber shown below;;

The configuration above works very well in an icepick hold but not so much in a cigar hold as used with the Rogers/Surefire technique. Since acquiring a SF Z2 Combat light, I now appreciate how well that hold works for me;

My goal was to use the Malkoff E2XTD head (650 lumens/70,000 candela) to Lego a 3P size Z2 light. No such animal was ever made so Lego was the only way it was going to happen. Here's what I ended up with;

This configuration works extremely well with the Rogers/Surefire technique yet rides comfortably in the bottom of a front pants pocket without a clip. The elimination of the clip ensures it won't interfere with the cigar hold. The light as shown above only has about five minutes of runtime on a IMR 18350 1200mAh cell, but for its intended use that is adequate. I carry two extra cells in an 18650 battery locker just in case.

The "3P-Z" Lego is made up of the Malkoff E2XTD head, an Oveready E35 body and a Surefire tailcap. As with the original Light Saber, it is intended for self-defense use with or without a pistol.

For more mundane illumination tasks, I also carry a Malkoff 1CR123-size 230-lumen light with about 90 minutes of runtime shown below;

I'm always in search of the ultimate EDC lights and these two lights cover the bases well for me, and are easy to carry.

I hope you enjoy this latest installment of Light Nerdery.

A bit more experimentation with this build;

I installed a TorchLAB ZeroRez Shorty Z41 Brass Insert in an old Z41 tailcap and gave it a try. The ZeroRez insert eliminates the the switch mechanism and all of its fine components and replaces it with a sold piece of brass.

The benefits of the ZeroRez insert are as follows;

1. Increases battery compartment internal length by 15mm. This allows the use the longer, higher capacity 18500 2000mAh protected cell.
    2. Higher current capability due to the elimination of electrical resistance in the switch. This is a major advantage when using a high current draw head such as the E2XTD.
    3. Greater reliability with the deletion of the switch components.

The interesting thing about this conversion is that with the tailcap backed-off just a touch from constant-on it will work momentary as well. I experimented with the cap on different bodies and with different cells and it consistently works reliably as a momentary switch due to the play in threads between the body and the tailcap, providing the tailcap is adjusted correctly (not difficult to do). Double O-rings on the body under the tailcap ensures it does not inadvertently move when set for momentary operation. Additionally, the tailcap very slightly compresses the O-ring under the lanyard loop which helps ensure reliable momentary operation.

The light weighs 4.4 ounces as shown, is constructed of super high quality components to ensure extreme robustness and reliability, and at 70,000 candela is devastatingly bright. It carries comfortably in the bottom of a pants pocket, so it's easy to EDC. Like all other gear we stake our lives on, I'll be carrying and using it regularly to give it a full shake out. In the meantime I think this thing kicks ass like no other.

That is a seriously bad-ass little lightsaber you built yourself... I'm impressed and a bit jealous. [emoji4]

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    That is a seriously bad-ass little lightsaber you built yourself... I'm impressed and a bit jealous. [emoji4]
    He's our resident mad scientist shackled to the P-F laboratory of luminosity.

There's nothing civil about this war.

There's so much Surefire E/P Series stuff on the market that you can build just about anything you want. In this case the Malkoff head is designed to fit E-series bodies, the ZeroRez insert fits P-series twisty tailcaps, and the very unique Oveready E35 3P-size body accepts E-series heads on the front, P-series tailcaps on the back and 18mm cells in the battery compartment. How cool is that? :-)

Site Supporter
    What is the school solution for upgrading the old school E1B 80/5? lumen model?

I prefer constant high but could live with gas pedal push for low, push harder for high switching.

In stock would be nice as it seems the Malkoff solutions are sold out.

THX

DB

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    What is the school solution for upgrading the old school E1B 80/5? lumen model?
    Lots of options, depends on your intended use. Do you want to stick to standard CR123 batteries or are you willing to work with rechargeable Li-ion cells? Is the tailcap on yours a twisty, clicky or gas pedal type?

Depending on the above, any of the Malkoff E-series heads will work, depending on power source and if you have a gas-pedal type switch. You could also use any of the P-series drop-ins with the VME head (it no longer has the white lettering on the face as shown in the photo).

I'm happy to help you with specific recommendations once I know the answers to the above questions.

Site Supporter
    Thank you in advance

Lots of options, depends on your intended use. (EDC)

Do you want to stick to standard CR123 batteries (YES re std batteries)

Tailcap is presently the OEM clicky with twisty constant on IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    • (EDC) use
    • Standard CR123 batteries
    • Tailcap is presently the OEM clicky with twisty constant on IIRC

Edited - forgot to mention the Bodyguard head.

Standard CR123 batteries limit the options, but here they are;

Bodyguard v1 head - great performance, and will work with both a single CR123 battery or a Li-ion cell. Comes on at max output, drops to a very usable intermediate level (around 200 lumens) after 8 seconds. A number of PF members are using this light. This would be my first choice.

E1/Scout M300 1CR123 Head - 320 lumens, reflector design. General use beam with nice hot spot (about 9k candela).

E1 Hyper Throw/Scout M300 1CR123 Head - 325 lumens, TIR lens design. This one has a much brighter hot spot (23k candela) but the spill is not as bright as the previous option. I'd say this one is better geared to self-defense use as it's bright enough to temporarily blind an assailant with dark-adapted vision.

You could also consider using the VME head that will accept any of Malkoff's 3P/6P/9P drop-ins. This is a huge advantage as you can simply swap out the drop-in if you decide to start using Li-ion cells which greatly expand your options;

VME head and any of these 3P drop-ins. The 3P drop-ins are all reflector designs and create a more general use beam profile.

Select the "notify me" option if out of stock, it usually takes a few weeks but is worth the wait.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 07-25-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Got on the mailing list re the one you recommended. I confess I am on water' edge re the VME Head and M61 drop in given the 400+ lumens and ability to get in my hand sooner.

User Tag List