Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lego: 3P-Z

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Got on the mailing list re the one you recommended. I confess I am on water' edge re the VME Head and M61 drop in given the 400+ lumens and ability to get in my hand sooner.
    You would need to run a Li-ion 16340 cell to get the full output from the M61, but it is a nice drop-in. Here's what the runtime looks like on a 700mAh 16340 cell - https://imgur.com/1UkAgCM

Here's a cell and charger that would do it. I would recommend getting two of the 16340 cells and rotate them between charges.

Carrying the Light Saber

I purchased this Daranich Tactical Flashlight Carrier a while back to carry my SF Z2. The Z2 is a great light for use with a pistol, but its shape makes it difficult to use with most carriers. The Daranich carries the Z2 perfectly but the length of the Z2 makes it less than ideal for comfortable concealed carry.

With some simple adjustment and adding a strip of Velcro loop inside, it carries the 3P-Z perfectly. Better yet, the short light carries comfortably in this carrier, conceals well under a loose-fitting shirt (the type I always wear) and keeps the light easily accessible. It all seems quite appropriate as I consider the light as much of a non-lethal SD weapon as I do an illumination tool.

Another 3P-Z

So I Lego'd another 3P-Z (on the left);

It is shown next to a pretty standard Malkoff set-up using their VME bezel, a M61NLL drop-in and an old-style 1CR123 shrouded body. Notice the difference in cell size/capacity.

This 3P-Z also uses the Oveready E35 body, but with an Oveready tailcap with the ZeroRez insert. On this build I used the VME bezel with a Malkoff M91B drop-in. Though it is intended for use with two Li-ion cells or three CR123 batteries, it actually performs quite well at lower voltage on a single Li-ion cell. This is a more general purpose light with a wide, diffuse beam that produces about 600 lumens on a single, freshly-charged cell, holds north of 500 lumens for about 20 minutes and drops down to 200 lumens in 90 minutes. Not too shabby.

Here are the three in one photo;

Building Lego Lights sure is a lot of fun!

Site Supporter
    I need to go through my surefire stash and see what I can cobble together

Site Supporter
    "Got on the mailing list re the one you recommended. I confess I am on water' edge re the VME Head and M61 drop in given the 400+ lumens and ability to get in my hand sooner."

Got a coupon code and went with the in stock solution with the VMW head/M61. 400+ lumens should do for a GP/EDC/pistol distance defensive light.

Thank you for your input.

DB

Site Supporter
    Big Shout Out to NH Shooter re the Malkoff VME head/M61/16340 rechargeable combo recommendation for my circa 2009 80 lumen Surefire E1B. I have always liked the build quality and form factor of the E1B but came to dislike the switchology as it toggled between 5 and 80 lumens if activated 2x too quickly.

It slots in at 350 lumens relative to my one cell 250 lumens Quark 4sevens and my two cell M61 Lego Surefire 6P. (Based on my unscientific shine on the wall test.)

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have always liked the build quality and form factor of the E1B but came to dislike the switchology as it toggled between 5 and 80 lumens if activated 2x too quickly.
    Build quality and what I'll call "pride of ownership" is a thing. Sure, you can get a cheaper Chi-com light with higher output and gimmicky 7 ways to Sunday programming, but there's just something about a high quality, single mode light that gets the job done and can be counted on to deliver in a time of need.

Glad to hear you're happy with the recommendation!

User Tag List