Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Militarization of Police Appearance

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Let’s not get crazy.
    Fixed it in the original post for you.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yes and no. The two are so close that they might as well be the same thing for these purposes. I’m well aware of the fact and still won’t notice unless I’m looking for it. Plus there’s still a lot of MC floating around. All SOF have it, plus tons of people that deployed to AFG before OCP was adopted and was issued OEF-CP (legit Multicam), and any piece of aftermarket anything that I’m aware of. All of that still adds up to less than half of what the army is wearing, but it’s not like there isn’t lots of genuine Multicam floating around too.

And off topic but I’m curious what you mean by commie lover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OCP was created to be as close to MC as possible without losing a copyright infringement lawsuit.

The whole kissing the BLM ring and distancing himself from Trump after the Floyd protests. Withholding military aid to Ukraine, plus the NY Times likes him.

Now he and Esper are playing to the left over this LE uniform issue which is part of the left’s false narrative about Portland.

According to the left’s narrative Trumps “troops” have “taken over all of Portland” Instead of simply correcting the record they are bitching about LE uniforms which is WAY out of their lane.

I think you guys are completely misunderstanding the opposition's argument (and really, their strategy). For starters, they're not talking about the federals, they're talking about the police. Right now, they may be opportunistically referencing the feds, but that's just to appeal to the uninformed, because the tan-clad feds look very military-ish to those people.

For another, their main target isn't BDUs and balaclavas and shit. Again, that's some stuff they reference to gain support from the classic Aging Hippie Liberal Douche that makes up their mainstream support. When they get nice and comfortable in a setting where they know nobody's going to call them out, you'll find they're talking about basic riot control devices, and protective equipment. They don't want the police to have CS gas and rubber bullets, because getting gassed and shot with rubber bullets fucking sucks and is not fun, and you can't have a riot if people don't have fun. They want police to not have protective gear because they want cops to get hurt. It's that simple. These people are radicals, they have objectives, you have to filter everything they say in those terms, and watch them on outlets friendly to them.

If you want to have a good chuckle, go find a riot control policy book from any decent-sized city, circa 1970. It'll be full of fun tidbits like the proper angle to bounce birdshot at, and how to drive squad cars in formation at crowds before locking up the brakes at the last second. These fuckers today have absolutely nothing to complain about. Rioting is easy-mode.

Now, there are entirely legitimate complaints to make about police uniform policy in 2020. I've seen agencies that had guys running around in t-shirts, wearing ball caps in place of uniform hats, sneakers, unkempt beards, neck/face tattoos--you name it. Up here, we don't get that so much, but I've seen a ton of guys with sloppy uniforms. Now, that said, I know not every agency is starting guys out at $48k, some of these places are barely paying $40k (and sometimes even less), and in some areas guys have to go out and get their own academy training, which may or may not by reimbursed, and at that point those municipalities are getting what they paid for.

PS--I used to think the BDU uniform was pretty sloppy, but these days, I can't imagine trying to keep the old dry-clean-only uniforms remotely clean, or having to constantly re-sew the brass buttons back on. Or, from an agency perspective, trying to supply all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    First the military doesn’t wear Multicam. They stole Crye’s intellectual property by adopting the “multicam knock off” called “OCP Scorpion.”
    Crye was under DoD contract for the joint development of a camo pattern called Scorpion. Just before the pattern was completed, Crye made slight modifications and patented it as Multicam. In violation of the the DoD Contract. Crye then tried to charge the DoD more than $200/set for right to use the pattern and claimed that the Scorpion pattern was copied from MC (not the other way around). The Army decided to select ACU pattern instead (political/Military leadership decision, not an R&D decision). The other Services went their own direction. Crye and the DoD have been involved in multiple lawsuits for more than 15 years over this situation. The current pattern is actually "Scorpion 2" developed by the DoD in-house based on the original work which the US Government owned the data rights too.

Last I heard the lawsuits were being settled, after it was indicated that because of the language in the first contract, Crye may owe the DoD a portion of all sales from it's MC pattern.

As for the use of camo patterns similar to those in use with DoD, I've seen that issue come up locally. I still work for the DoD and we were questioned about the deployment of Active Duty personnel in response to protests when it was actually State PD in MC patterns but with crappy little patches that no one could see or read.

My biggest concern with the Mil-Gucci uniformed LE is it's getting hard to differentiate them from the LARP'ers (both right and left).
    Some much higher visibility front/back/sides POLICE patches (in standardized colors/fonts/reflectivity) would go a long ways in urban environments, IMO.

Make fun of the R.I. State Police uniforms all you want, but aint nobody LARP'ing around looking like one of them.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    You know, the classical police uniform of Mayberry theme was no doubt inspired by the military uniforms of the early 20the century.

Not really sure the issue? Is it the multicam that has people upset? If they were wearing dark blue or Black people would be accusing them of trying to look like ninjas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My biggest concern with the Mil-Gucci uniformed LE is it's getting hard to differentiate them from the LARP'ers (both right and left).
    Some much higher visibility front/back/sides POLICE patches (in standardized colors/fonts/reflectivity) would go a long ways in urban environments, IMO.

Make fun of the R.I. State Police uniforms all you want, but aint nobody LARP'ing around looking like one of them.
    This.
    I was thinking about RI staties as an example also.

I think there is a valid point to wanting police uniforms to be instantly distinguishable as police and not some dood trying to dress to give the appearance of police without being arrest-able.

Also considering the general populace wants to pretend that bad shit doesn’t happen, I understand the general wish for “friendlier” uniforms. Not including assignments that have the police not “out in nature”, I could picture the general populace might be more comfortable with this sort of look:

(Random golf clothing picture)

What would be so wrong with that, as long as you had materials and colors that were appropriate and hid dirt somewhat?
    “We can’t afford them” kinda misses the point of the discussion re: conceptual agreement, and why isn’t something like this chosen when it is time to purchase new uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This.
    I was thinking about RI staties as an example also.

I think there is a valid point to wanting police uniforms to be instantly distinguishable as police and not some dood trying to dress to give the appearance of police without being arrest-able.

Also considering the general populace wants to pretend that bad shit doesn’t happen, I understand the general wish for “friendlier” uniforms. Not including assignments that have the police not “out in nature”, I could picture the general populace might be more comfortable with this sort of look:

(Random golf clothing picture)

What would be so wrong with that, as long as you had materials and colors that were appropriate and hid dirt somewhat?
    “We can’t afford them” kinda misses the point of the discussion re: conceptual agreement, and why isn’t something like this chosen when it is time to purchase new uniforms.
    I'm sorry but if you want to wear burnt orange you have to pay royalties to University of Texas.

Maybe I'm ignorant to the situation but stop fucking around with Federal buildings and you won't get jacked up by Federal agents... just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Also considering the general populace wants to pretend that bad shit doesn’t happen, I understand the general wish for “friendlier” uniforms. Not including assignments that have the police not “out in nature”, I could picture the general populace might be more comfortable with this sort of look
    I actually really liked the old brass-button uniforms for a professional appearance, at least back in the day. Most kids could even tell the difference between an officer/patrolman, a sergeant, and a captain/Lt/inspector. I'm not in favor of anything that makes police look less police-y--they should be identifiable and easily recognizable as a person in authority. Polo shirts are for plainclothes detectives in really hot weather.

User Tag List