Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal officers in Portland may have been permanently blinded by lasers

I haven’t had it done to me personally but a bunch of guys at my Station have been lazed from the south side. It’s not unusual... Laser protective lenses for available eye pro are ok but as a previous poster said they do not offer protection from all spectrums. IR can be even more dangerous IMO because you aren’t going to have any indication or warning that it is being employed where a vis laser you may see and have a chance of getting behind cover. Most of us don’t wear eye pro at night (I have clear lenses close by most of the time but usually don’t have them on). The laser protective lenses can help but are not a definitive answer.

People who use these against us (FLEO) should really become familiar with our UoF policy (at least for CBP not sure about the Marshalls or others under DoJ)...someone using force that can result in serious bodily injury (blinding definitely qualifies) against us or in defense of someone else is well within policy to justify a deadly force response.

Small potatoes, but, could someone caught with an imported laser at one of these events get jammed up with an ITAR charge on top of agg assault, etc., as icing on the cake? Just mulling over the collection of teeth in the mouth.

Does anyone have further information about protective eyewear for lasers? Is it crazy expensive, or priced so ordinary people can afford them?

It seems lasers are becoming more of a thing in general, and the exposure generated by the news and personal vids of the various protests and unrest will likely further the trend.

I contacted an eyewear maker Ive used (Edge) asking if they had any laser protection eyewear, I havent heard of specifics so far, but the rep I heard back from sent two links about it in general.

https://www.technologyreview.com/201...aser-pointers/

https://www.phillips-safety.com/2018...afety-glasses/
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-22-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Small potatoes, but, could someone caught with an imported laser at one of these events get jammed up with an ITAR charge on top of agg assault, etc., as icing on the cake? Just mulling over the collection of teeth in the mouth.
    Pretty sure ITAR only applies to stuff going out, not really to stuff coming in, and that it specifies transfers to non US Citizens and countries as what it is trying to prevent, might be wrong though......
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

While not lasers, the Inuit have used a peculiar snow goggle for, well, a long time. No guarantees, but a few pieces of duct tape across each lens of a pair of cheap, plastic sunglasses should be better than nothing.

Still think it's time for sniper teams.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) hard to see exactly, but the LE guy seems to have a DP Pro on his pistol.

2) I am generally pretty docile, but as a pilot and someone sensitive to bright reflections, if someone intentionally pointed a powerful Laser at my eyes, I would consider that a lethal threat to me.
    1) He is a USMS SOG member so that is an issued STI 2011 with the issued DPP. Not sure I would want to use a no retention concealed carry holster while openly carrying in uniform vs hostile crowds but ...

2) Lasing an aircraft is a federal felony under 18 USC 39A with a potential sentence of 5 years.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/39A

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    1) He is a USMS SOG member so that is an issued STI 2011 with the issued DPP. Not sure I would want to use a no retention concealed carry holster while openly carrying in uniform vs hostile crowds but ...

2) Lasing an aircraft is a federal felony under 18 USC 39A with a potential sentence of 5 years.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/39A
    What would the law say about someone intentionally lasing you as an individual citizen?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Pretty sure ITAR only applies to stuff going out, not really to stuff coming in, and that it specifies transfers to non US Citizens and countries as what it is trying to prevent, might be wrong though......
    ITAR is generally only outbound but they could be charged with Customs Import violations under 19 USC for smuggling or falsifying customs import declarations. @blues might have some insight.It would take some legwork to trace it back.

I know someone who bought a made in China, green laser on Amazon, for his USPSA PCC, that he said was “way brighter and cost less than $100.” 5 PF dollars that it is illegally strong.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

While the lasers are rightfully getting a lot of attention in this thread, I am also concerned that the "U.S. Marshals Service also reported communications jamming." I assume the USMS uses decent encrypted radios that were designed to allow communications in the presence of jamming. I know the Project 25 (P25) standard is easily jammed, so I expected the USMS would not use a radio compliant to that standard.

As for the lasers, I consider lasers to be capable of grave bodily harm. I figure, as said above, someone is going to receive one or more projectiles in return for a laser. It sure would be well deserved.

User Tag List