Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger finger placement

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    To the right, and I am left handed. So the gun is pulling toward the trigger finger.
    Derp. I said the wrong thing. The sights are shifting left, not right, but they are shifting toward the trigger finger on my left hand.

Maybe y'all have fatter fingers than I do. During my Glock years, there were a couple of times that my finger was high enough on the trigger to miss the trigger safety. One time was putting down an injured deer, and wearing gloves in winter time.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I find myself with medium size hands that have room in the finger of a medium mechanix glove. But way to tight for a small. That higher is better the further away. I was shooting yesterday on 6 inch steel and walking back the further I got the more I had to place my finger to be able to cleanly brake the shot. Of course I suck by most standards because i am slow.
    Last edited by camel; 07-26-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Lots of useful commentary. Thanks, folks.

One other issue with low trigger finger placement is trigger finger drag on the inside bottom of the trigger guard. It can pull a shot low, and can really chafe the finger during a long day in a "shoot 'til you puke" training course.

Getting more finger into the trigger guard -- perhaps centerline of the distal joint on the palmar surface, the "power crease," at the center of the trigger face -- gives palpably more leverage and therefore more control. Feels as if the trigger has been made a couple of pounds lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Maybe y'all have fatter fingers than I do. During my Glock years, there were a couple of times that my finger was high enough on the trigger to miss the trigger safety. One time was putting down an injured deer, and wearing gloves in winter time.
    I haven't had it prevent a shot, but on my Gen3 26 I can occasionally land high enough that there's a little bit of a "hitch" as I force it past the last tiny bit of trigger safety engagement. For lack of better description.

However, I've got a Shield with an Apex trigger, and both females that have shot it land too high on the trigger and have this problem big time.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Derp. I said the wrong thing. The sights are shifting left, not right, but they are shifting toward the trigger finger on my left hand.
    When that happens to me, it is usually from me hooking up the trigger by inserting too much of a finger in*. In regards to imparting too much pressure on a gun after the break, that's possible. Careful attention to the timing of events could help sorting it out, as could some live fire.

*Conventional wisdom says that over inserting a trigger finger is because the grip is too small / reach is too short. I find that I commonly do it when I wish to gain more leverage on a trigger, for example, a heavier trigger DA pull, even though trigger reach or grip size on those guns are substantial.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    When that happens to me, it is usually from me hooking up the trigger by inserting too much of a finger in*. In regards to imparting too much pressure on a gun after the break, that's possible. Careful attention to the timing of events could help sorting it out, as could some live fire.

*Conventional wisdom says that over inserting a trigger finger is because the grip is too small / reach is too short. I find that I commonly do it when I wish to gain more leverage on a trigger, for example, a heavier trigger DA pull, even though trigger reach or grip size on those guns are substantial.
    In all this analysis of trigger pull. I've noticed that I seem most comfortable (for what that's worth) with a higher grip. This puts my trigger finger pointing slightly down into the trigger guard. When in the guard, the side of my knuckle is sliding against the frame and the tip of the finger is pointing angled slightly down. The pad is flat against the trigger, but if the gun is pointed at a clock face, the end of the trigger finger is pointing about 4:00.

I’ve generally found that you want to shoot for close to the middle of the trigger face. Too low and you drag against the bottom of the trigger guard and sometimes the right side of the frame above the trigger. Too high and you’re definitely pressing against the right side of the frame.

Going low doesn’t seem to affect some people as they have very good support hand pressure and technique. I’ve found, in general, in my experience that if you have a proper strong hand index and if you let your finger naturally come straight back to the trigger that you’ll find the best position to simply press the trigger straight to the rear with only having to bend the middle knuckle of your index finger.

IMHO this is where the Glock frame truly shows how much of an ergonomic nightmare it really is. Unless your strong hand index is on point or extremely close out of the holster, you’re going to be off enough to cause some problems unless your either fix it before shooting or know how to precisely compensate for it. The window for which your strong hand index can be off I imagine can differ from person to person due to anatomy, but it’s generally going to be less forgiving than most other pistol frames.

Okay, so I had to go get a gun out and play with it. Cleared gun, safe direction, front camera where appropriate, yadda yadda...

I hit the trigger at an angle, and I’m surprised how much my finger rides the frame and drops down onto the trigger.
    Name:  9FC76038-ABC1-47D6-A706-EE6A229CE17E.jpeg
Views: 519
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  B5F2DC6A-2398-4BE6-8A74-CF194DA91171.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:  012EF4D1-D4B1-4162-9FD0-3B11909F1E88.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  57.6 KB

ETA:
    Sorry those rotations are all fubar, they’re okay on my phone and created at the same angle...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

The point of my original post was to point out that while how much finger on the Glock trigger has been debated for years, there has be scant discussion of how high to place the finger on the trigger, and higher keeps the force closer to the center line of the pistol. Like all things related to pressing the Glock trigger, individual results may vary, and there in no “one right way.”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List