Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock trigger finger placement

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=GJM;1089141]The point of my original post was to point out that while how much finger on the Glock trigger has been debated for years, there has be scant discussion of how high to place the finger on the trigger, and higher keeps the force closer to the center line of the pistol. Like all things related to pressing the Glock trigger, individual results may vary, and there in no “one right way.”[/QUOTE
    What I’ve been wondering is trigger finger interface porprtional to a straight back pull. If that makes since. I think @Mas was always onto something in regards to anatomical placement.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    What I’ve been wondering is trigger finger interface porprtional to a straight back pull. If that makes since. I think @Mas was always onto something in regards to anatomical placement.
    Hence why gun to user fit is a thing. We have carbines with telescoping stocks, interchangeable pistol grips, and different optic height mounts. We have precision rifles with completely adjustable stocks and combs. We have shotguns that are literally fitted to shooters. Why some people think pistols are any different never really made any sense to me. I don’t have Shaq sized hands and neither does Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The point of my original post was to point out that while how much finger on the Glock trigger has been debated for years, there has be scant discussion of how high to place the finger on the trigger, and higher keeps the force closer to the center line of the pistol. Like all things related to pressing the Glock trigger, individual results may vary, and there in no “one right way.”
    Indeed! This was one of those things I'd never paid attention to until I read it on the internet (this thread!). Same as how I discovered my G19s had a different trigger face than my 17! LOL "see ball, hit ball"

Just checked with my dry fire pistol, I'm all up high on the trigger.

My hunch is that centerline business you and others mention is why it might work well for them to prefer high.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In my experience with Glocks, I've found more difference in changing the angle of my trigger finger than in the actual placement. In both dry and live fire, I have better trigger control when I decrease the angle that my trigger finger hits the trigger by moving the second knuckle lower. This lets my finger meet the trigger closer to perpendicular, i.e. trigger finger pointed at 9 oclock instead or 730 or 8 if the gun was aimed at a clock. This movement also ends up lessening the amount my trigger finger is in contact with the frame and very slightly raises the point of contact on the trigger although that isn't what I'm thinking of when doing so. The sensitivity of my shooting to this and other very small shifts in alignment is one of several reasons I switched to CZs as my primary match guns as I found them much more forgiving and they "got out of the way of my shooting" better (although I'm coming back to glocks for teaching recently).

For those of you using a "higher finger placement" or "less frame contact," do these things cause you to end up with a similar change in finger alignment? I wonder if these are just different ways of explaining essentially the same technique.

Here's some photos to better show what I mean:

Higher and lower 2nd knuckle alignment:
    Name:  High finger.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  27.6 KB Name:  Low Finger.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  27.5 KB

On the gun -
    High:
    Name:  High trigger right.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  26.6 KB Name:  High trigger left.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  35.6 KB

Low:
    Name:  Low trigger right.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  23.6 KB Name:  Low trigger left.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  25.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Maybe y'all have fatter fingers than I do. During my Glock years, there were a couple of times that my finger was high enough on the trigger to miss the trigger safety. One time was putting down an injured deer, and wearing gloves in winter time.
    [Ahem]..full figured...

pat

A strong grip can cover many sins with trigger, so I think the way to approach this is to hold the pistol in one hand, somewhat loosely, and experiment with finger placement to sort out what works best for you in minimizing sight movement with the trigger press.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A strong grip can cover many sins with trigger, so I think the way to approach this is to hold the pistol in one hand, somewhat loosely, and experiment with finger placement to sort out what works best for you in minimizing sight movement with the trigger press.
    Asking because you would know. Should we build our two handed grip off our one handed?

Asking because you would know. Should we build our two handed grip off our one handed?
    Not sure about grip, but I don’t press the trigger differently depending upon how many hands I am holding the pistol with.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Obviously I’m not GJM, but IMHO you should. The reason is consistency. The way you index the gun and press the trigger shouldn’t change just because you have a second hand on the gun. The support hand is there for additional support because you have an extra hand.

User Tag List