Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated .45 suppressor host

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Dedicated .45 suppressor host

So my Form 4 for my Octane 45HD finally arrived at the ATF's NFA branch. Now for the long wait. Have been thinking about what I want to do with this can. While I plan to buy a couple threaded 9mm Glock barrels, I really like the idea of having a dedicated .45 suppressor host.

Most of the shooting I do with my 9mm glocks is from the holster, where the can is not helpful, and the .45s I have are not optimal for suppressing (crappy RIA 1911 and a M&P45 midsize that nobody seems makes a threaded barrel for). Besides, this is an excuse to buy something ridiculously awesome that I couldn't otherwise justify. I'm not buying any time soon with the market as it is, but I've started setting a little money aside so I will have the cash in a year when my stamp goes through.

So, basically I am looking for a fullsize .45 that is ready to be suppressed from the factory. This leads me inexorably towards HK. The USP 45 Tactical, in particular. However, open to the HK45 and HK45c Tactical models, too.

Is there really any other gun I should consider here? Have thought about an M&P45 as I already have some mags, but the HK just seems... cooler?

Not gonna buy the FN45. Any other suggestions? Not sure if there are some .45s that will run better suppressed than others, though I imagine 1911s are not high on the list

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The USP 45 Tactical.

Is there really any other gun I should consider here?
    No.*

*Except for a Contender carbine, because it won't even have the noise of the slide cycling.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have a both a Glock 21 and H&K USP Tactical. The H&K is cooler and more accurate but the Glock is convenient. The H&K has that weird left hand threading. This caused some problems for me when I cranked on the can, I would unwitting loosen the mid section of my AAC Ti-Rant 45.

Site Supporter
    Some years back, I got to put a few mags through a USP45T with a USP45T-specific suppressor made by KAC. The owner had chosen because (according to him) any suppressor other than Knight's or B&T voids the HK warranty. But it shot very well, no noticeable first round pop, very accurate and very much hearing-safe. It looked very cool with the KAC can, too.

If not an HK, though, I would get a G21 + threaded barrel and get an RDS cut/suppressor height Trijicons done. I had a ball with a borrowed 'range try' on a G21SF w/Jarvis barrel and an early SiCo Osprey 45 - it shot very accurately and the muzzle climb basically didn't exist. It was an absolute pleasure to shoot. It was always hearing safe and it ran very well. The owner said he just dropped the barrel in and started shooting and never needed to mess with it. The years that separated the HK and this Glock experience made it difficult to say which one was really better.

The same owner had a Dan Wesson 1911 with a factory threaded barrel, and while it ran great and accurately without the Osprey mounted, it seldom made it through a whole mag with it mounted (stovepipes). There was something very cool about a suppressed 1911 though. I didn't personally shoot the Dan Wesson because I was having so much fun with his G21, and I didn't want to impose further.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    *Except for a Contender carbine, because it won't even have the noise of the slide cycling.
    Just remembered the Octane is rated for .300 BLK subs, so just get this instead of a Contender:

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/cv...compact-300aac
    Not another dime.

If .45-70 did not generate too much gas volume, I would have used a Marlin 1895 for a host. The .45 Colt Marlin 1894 is a great host if you can find one. Ringing steel with one is a figurative blast, not a literal one.

For pistols, the consensus of the HK45CT makes sense to me.

I have an Osprey and was able to snag a factory threaded barrel for my full size USP 45 from Midwest gun works several years ago, I guess it is the tactical model barrel. It works very well. I tried the Osprey on a gen 1 M&P45 and it ran ok, but for whatever reason was not as accurate as the same gun was unsupressed. At some point I should also get a threaded barrel for my HK45C I guess.

Site Supporter
    I'm just gonna throw this out there...

This is a good excuse to buy a Mark 23.

Site Supporter
    My Octane 45 recently came home, and I've been trying to decide between putting it on the G21 or grabbing one of the new factory threaded Ruger 77/44s and handloading 300 gr subs for it, and maybe SBRing the latter if I enjoy it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I'm just gonna throw this out there...

This is a good excuse to buy a Mark 23.
    If you're in the NBA, maybe. If you have merely XXXL hands, like me, stick with the USP 45 FS.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List