Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Myths (that gunnies tend to believe)

Gun Myths (that gunnies tend to believe)

That there are a lot of myths, lies, and misinformation amount the general non-shooting public is facts that pretty much everyone here knows. However, there is a large body of mythology that even the firearms aficionado tends to hang on to. Here are a few myths I’ve seen reinstated on the internets lately:
    • The belief that the perfect lady’s gun is a lightweight, snub-nosed revolver.
    • The overall thought that a revolver in general is the perfect gun choice for those who will never practice with it.
    • That the .45ACP (or insert the hot caliber of the moment) is some sort of Instant Death Bullet, capable of knocking anyone right down.
    • That the 1911 is the epitome of pistols, nay, of firearms technology!

Anyway, here's to hoping our panel of distinguished S.M.E’s and others will bust these and other myths that have accumulated over the years.

I encourage everyone to the read the myth busting stickies about wound ballistics I have posted here: http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91.

Here's some more I see too often ....
    • A GLOCK will NEVER have a malfunction.
    • A shotgun is a point and shoot weapon. In fact, you prob don't even need to fire it. Just rack the slide and all bad guys will immediately poop themselves and flee the premises.
    • "Turkey load" is the best choice for a shotgun used for HD. Anything else is overkill.
    • A carbine used for HD will likely shoot through your walls and into the neighbors house, killing all inside.

Let's see here.....

The AR system is inherently unreliable.....

The AK series is immune to malfunctions, and doesn't require end user maintenance... (bovine excrement).

Anyone carrying a 9mm is a "sissy".

Conversely, the .45 ACP has magical "knockdown" power, and is immune from the laws of physics. Also, carrying one makes one more masculine.

Using the .50 BMG against enemy combatants violates the Geneva Convention (heard this BS in the .MIL)

The Soviets designed their firearms so they can shoot our ammo in wartime, but we cannot shoot theirs. (heard this many times in the .MIL)

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    The AR system is inherently unreliable.....

The AK series is immune to malfunctions, and doesn't require end user maintenance... (bovine excrement).
    Yeah man.

Generally the AR is way more reliable and the AK is way more accurate than either are given credit for.

Taking LAV's AK Operator Class really opened my eyes to how accurate the AK can be given the following critera are met.

-Dialed in end user

-Properly zeroed rifle

-Decent ammo

As for the AR:

Mags
    Extractor
    Ammo
    Lube

Keep it lubed, fed good ammo with good mags and it will most likely run well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post

Yeah man.

Generally the AR is way more reliable and the AK is way more accurate than either are given credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Here's some more I see too often ....
    • In fact, you prob don't even need to fire it. Just rack the slide and all bad guys will immediately poop themselves and flee the premises.
    I actually heard a salesman in a gunshop tell this to a customer recently.

Couldn't believe it.

My wife and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

My all-time favorite is "revolvers don't jam". As someone that's had to literally beat a case out of a revolver with a mallet, torn the sideplate off my revo in the safe area at a match, I can officially call "bullcrap" on that one.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    My all-time favorite is "revolvers don't jam". As someone that's had to literally beat a case out of a revolver with a mallet, torn the sideplate off my revo in the safe area at a match, I can officially call "bullcrap" on that one.
    On another site I saw this gem recently:

"A semi-auto pistol is one sure shot and 17 chances for a malfunction. With a revolver you're sure to get your six."

I had to sit down for a moment after reading that. I felt dizzy.

Potato-Chipping: Hitting someone wearing body armor with a shotgun and believing they will be like a bag of chips, all broken inside even if the outside is intact.

I guess that's something I believed and was corrected of recently.

User Tag List