Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDS Dry Fire

RDS Dry Fire

Is anyone doing any specific RDS focused dry fire? I recently put a RDS on a pistol and while I have been to the range twice I知 not getting the round count I壇 like with the current ammo situation.

I知 assuming basic marksmanship dry fire while watching the dot for tells? I知 RDS holsterless so all of my presentation work will be from the ready for now.

Looking for ideas to speed up the learning curve without 5 cases of 9 if possible.

I would start with reliably acquiring the dot freestyle, strong hand and support hand only. Then look at spots on the wall and make the dot go there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Is anyone doing any specific RDS focused dry fire? I recently put a RDS on a pistol and while I have been to the range twice I知 not getting the round count I壇 like with the current ammo situation.

I知 assuming basic marksmanship dry fire while watching the dot for tells? I知 RDS holsterless so all of my presentation work will be from the ready for now.

Looking for ideas to speed up the learning curve without 5 cases of 9 if possible.
    I don't think pistol RDS is so totally different that the dry fire doesn't carry over from iron-sighted pistols.
    IMO here are some of the main differences shooting RDS on a pistol vs shooting irons:
    • Index on the draw
    • Index after a reload
    • Index while shooting 1 handed
    • Index in awkward leans and low ports
    • Getting used to the level of confirmation needed (shooting with a streak of the red dot vs slightly moving dot vs totally still dot when appropriate)
    • Getting used to having a hard target focus at all distances and not shifting focus back to the dot or optic housing.

The first one won't apply since you don't have the holster yet but you can still work from the ready. The awkward leans and low ports may not apply if you're not shooting competition.
    I would work on the gunhandling to get used to the index and work on target transition drills to get used to the target focus.

I would start with reliably acquiring the dot freestyle, strong hand and support hand only. Then look at spots on the wall and make the dot go there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@Bratch

I don't think that GJM meant to say the same thing twice but he's right, and Eyesquared is a spot on. His last point is pretty big, a lot of folks think that they shoot target focused simply because they have a dot. Instead, they acquire the sight pic target focused but then pull their focus to the the dot. Make sure your eyes stay on target, it is harder than we think. I do it more often than I want.

Dot presentation is index dependent and anything that changes your usual angles between arms, body and head will screw you up. As mentioned above, one handed, leans, draw in constrained spaces where you're hunched, just a target that is flat on a floor require a bit of work.

If physical space allows, entering a position after a good sprint is something I have issues with. Finally, dry fire at super close easy large targets is something worth paying attention to.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    @Bratch

I don't think that GJM meant to say the same thing twice but he's right, and Eyesquared is a spot on. His last point is pretty big, a lot of folks think that they shoot target focused simply because they have a dot. Instead, they acquire the sight pic target focused but then pull their focus to the the dot. Make sure your eyes stay on target, it is harder than we think. I do it more often than I want.
    I have noticed in live fire that I find my eye focus moving back and forth from the dot and the target, I致e never had the problem with a RDS AR so it was an interesting feeling.

I have noticed in live fire that I find my eye focus moving back and forth from the dot and the target, I致e never had the problem with a RDS AR so it was an interesting feeling.
    Yes, my eyes want to do handgun things while shooting a handgun and carbine things while shooting a carbine. It's almost like our eyes and brain are complex organs capable of adapting to new things but incredibly stubborn to give up on old ways.

For a dryfire target, a couple years ago I bought a copy of Recoil magazine at the airport prior to the flight. It had a folded up paper target inside of a would be mugger. I hang it from a suction cup hook on our sliding glass door and do my dry practice on it. I can pie corners and work from different areas of the house with the target placed there. Works for carbine too.

This is my dry fire target, should look familiar...

Pre RDS it was nice with the different size targets with the RDS I知 using the P-T to try and focus to get my eyes on the target and off the dot. I知 still finding myself shifting back and forth from the dot to the target.

Name:  7454E5AE-3589-43B6-BA16-B4478A6B13E8.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  22.2 KB

I知 still finding myself shifting back and forth from the dot to the target.
    This is a struggle for me, and I'm concentrating on remaining target focused during dry fire. I find a measurable speed gain when I manage to remain target focused. When my eyes shift to the dot I sense I am over confirming the sight picture.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What GJM wrote, twice.

User Tag List