Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying Bullet (From Xray)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That the nerves and blood vessels were OK was fascinating enough to me. Would it be more typical of a person in a developing nation to have weaker/more brittle bones due to nutritional deficits? Perhaps that explains the dramatic difference from your patients (who are presumably at least not malnourished).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Good questions, I don't have answers. @Doc_Glock might be able to suggest demineralization of the bone from the X-ray. I can't.

Name:  Humerus injury 5.56 (2).jpg
Views: 485
Size:  18.2 KB

That is a humerus hit with two 5.56 rounds. Both entered very close to the target, no intermediate targets and no bony injuries before they hit the humerus. I think everyone can see the difference. That's why I was wondering if that bullet is something that had a bit more ooomph to it.

Would the velocity difference between an M4 length gun vs a 20" barreled A2/A4 type gun account for any difference in effect?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Looks a lot like an M855 "green tip" penetrator; A1 is a different shape.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Was the scapula also involved?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Hammertime
    There is conjecture amongst my upper extremity surgery colleagues that there could have been a pre existing bone tumor or something to explain the outstanding bone loss. I think that is probably a reach, but anything is possible.

Unfortunately the doc who posted the Xray has gone completely dark. I will give more details when available.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Was the scapula also involved?
    No idea. Sorry. My information is very limited. It’s just an amazing film.

That first X-ray looks like the kind of damage I’ve always pictured when reading about the damage a Minie ball would do when it hit bone.

Could that arm be salvaged and made functional again? Either in Whateverstan or here?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That first X-ray looks like the kind of damage I’ve always pictured when reading about the damage a Minie ball would do when it hit bone.

Could that arm be salvaged and made functional again? Either in Whateverstan or here?

That is the question. There is debate over watch and wait to see if it will mineralize versus free fibula grafting. In a rustic environment he’s likely in a sling for a good long time.

Site Supporter
    I’d be curious to see where the entrance wound was and if it was round, or if maybe the bullet hit the bone lengthways rather than point on. It does kinda looks like there is a “hole” at the bottom of the head. But I’m also completely untrained in reading x-rays and not a medical professional.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

If that happened in CONUS what would be the course of treatment for that?

User Tag List