Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Small Pistol Primers in Stock?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Some people have reported excessive breech face erosion when doing this, and the theory I've seen put forward about it is that the harder cups of the rifle primers do not expand to fill the pockets as well and thus let hot gas sneak past. Whether there's any truth to that or not, I'm unsure, but I've never run my supply of pistol primers down low enough to be willing to try it.
    IIRC, this was being done primarily with Open guns at Major PF, often in 9mm so at higher pressure than +P. I don't know if the same outcome would obtain with standard pressure 9x19.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    IIRC, this was being done primarily with Open guns at Major PF, often in 9mm so at higher pressure than +P. I don't know if the same outcome would obtain with standard pressure 9x19.
    My understanding was that typically it was higher pressure where it was actually OK, as that's the pressure range at which SRPs are designed to operate, and that it was when SRPs were run at pistol pressures that it became a problem. It will be interesting to see what experience TOTS reports after a few thousand rounds.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^Good point. I’ve got about 4.5k of Federal 205s that will take a long time to use up in rifle loads, I’ve used some in 9x19 in my CZ-75Bs and they seemed to work okay.

Powder Valley has Federal SPPs in stock. Just picked up 5k which combined with my factory ammo stockpile should tide me over until the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Powder Valley has Federal SPPs in stock. Just picked up 5k which combined with my factory ammo stockpile should tide me over until the end of the year.
    Nutz. Oos.

Shows in stock and added 5k to my cart, but there is a message that there are "0" in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Shows in stock and added 5k to my cart, but there is a message that there are "0" in stock.
    I get the same thing from Powder Valley from time to time. I guess it's a little glitch in their software. Still, I prefer that when I got to checkout it denies me the opportunity, than to later learn everything is on back order.

___

My last primers came via either Mid-South Shooters Supply or Powder Valley. To be honest, I haven't really been paying much attention. I had zero primers, and I've managed to pick up ~2k in small pistol regular, 1k small pistol match, 1k small rifle match, and 1k large pistol. I had a couple of hundred small pistol and 100 or so large pistol bought years ago when I thought I would reload the first time. Which while not a ton, is enough to get me through any shooting I do right now (which varies monthly from 0 to 100 rounds...).

I set up alerts on AmmoSeek for "small primers" of any kind, figuring I can run anything I need from those. The only thing I don't have on hand right now is large rifle primers, but I only have a single caliber (.30-30) that uses them. So, if I pick up a 1000 next time I buy powder, I'll probably be set...for life.

Winchester SPP on MidwayUSA, max of 5k per order. My ammoseek alert didn't trigger so I've been manually refreshing the search every hour or so.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 07-22-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Winchester SPP on MidwayUSA, max of 5k per order. My ammoseek alert didn't trigger so I've been manually refreshing the search every hour or so.
    Thanks, ordered.

Thanks for the tip. My AmmoSeek Alert came just as I completed my Midway purchase.

User Tag List