Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small Pistol Primers in Stock?

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I haven't seen primers for $25/1k in a long time. My average is around $30. Well it was until recently.
    I think I paid around $30/1K now that you mention it. I probably had 30K on hand a few years ago so I haven't needed to buy any recently. Lost track of prices.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My average is around $30. Well it was until recently.
    Right before this started we did a group buy at PV for 15k and they were $30.80 net.

About the time I get panicked I have to take a breath and actually count up what all I have and do a timeline projection. Right now I am working my way through a batch of 2k I did when Dardas was casting, but then decided to switch to jacketed because as good as they are they were leading with Titegroup. So I had put them aside for a few years, but now I am about half way through them, and I just Chore Boy the bore after each range trip.

And I still have a few hundred of my good loads, so I am saving them for matches. And I have a few hundred FMJ over TG that I didn't crimp right, I will shoot them up in practice after I shoot up the CLB loads in practice.

And as I mentioned in the thread about 40 ammo I have a perfecty fine M&P-40 and about 3k loaded rounds.

And I have a ton of SRPs that will work if they have to.

So even though I perceive myself to be "almost out" I will probably actually run out sometime in 2023...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I am blessed with a LGS that gives a mil discount so I get primers for about $30 per 1000. I have learned to stay stocked. When Cabelas sold S&B primers and I got some $20 off type coupons in mail - I stocked up on those. We have a sporting goods type digital classified ad and i have done well on some estate sales for reloading supplies too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am blessed with a LGS that gives a mil discount so I get primers for about $30 per 1000. I have learned to stay stocked. When Cabelas sold S&B primers and I got some $20 off type coupons in mail - I stocked up on those. We have a sporting goods type digital classified ad and i have done well on some estate sales for reloading supplies too.
    I still have about 2K of those S&B small pistol primers that I bought from the Cabela's about four miles from my house. Used the coupons, too....

I get it but the answer isn't always be smarter. When there is a drought for long enough those personal stockpiles of primers begin to dry up. I'm not buying components to hang on to them I'm buying to shoot. This has been a slow year of shooting for me (for obvious reasons) and it still hasn't taken long to burn up 5k of primers. Now it's time to replenish or seriously throttle my shooting.
    I don’t want to give the impression that I’m buying, just for the sake of buying. Lots of shooting still going on. Just finished up shooting some 3,000 reloads (.38 wadcutters), that I reloaded back in 2010. I like to be readying for the next decade worth of shooting.

Site Supporter
    Just received 5,000 from Everglades Ammo. Got a tip and ordered a week ago. Called back an hour later and they were out of stock.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Just logged off at work and sat back down at my personal computer to see that Powder Valley listed one box of 1k CCI small pistol primers as in-stock. They're out of stock like 5 minutes later but I wonder if there wasn't some kind of mistake putting things into the system and hopefully there are more to come.

It may take a year or two but things will settle down again, it always does. If the market is there, and it will be, the manufactures always catch up.

I got caught flat footed in 2008 and suffered without powder and primers for what seemed like an eternity. I had just started reloading for pistol and rifle and had no powder or primer supply to get thru the shortage. That was brutal. I can die with 20 lbs of powder and 20K primers and it won't bother me even a little.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Just received 5,000 from Everglades Ammo. Got a tip and ordered a week ago. Called back an hour later and they were out of stock.
    I got an email re primed 223. Notified a friend who's short on materials. Sometime in the four minutes between me texting him (literally as soon as I saw it) and him texting me back... it was out of stock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Some people have reported excessive breech face erosion when doing this, and the theory I've seen put forward about it is that the harder cups of the rifle primers do not expand to fill the pockets as well and thus let hot gas sneak past. Whether there's any truth to that or not, I'm unsure, but I've never run my supply of pistol primers down low enough to be willing to try it.
    I’ve read that too, among other varying opinions. I have over 6k small rifle primers left and have been running them for a while since I cannot find spp. Haven’t seen any detrimental issues but will keep the group updated.

User Tag List