Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Pistol Primers in Stock?

And they are gone. Despite my qualms about the price I picked up some along with 4lbs of N320.

I was thinking of getting started with reloading last fall but kept putting things off because of low ammo prices and then wanting to cut down on my discretionary spending due to the economy and potential layoffs. I am really hoping the primer shortage is similar to the toilet paper shortage and people will stop stockpiling once they realize they have more primers stored than they will ever hope to shoot, but I keep seeing people posting about buying 20k at a time so maybe I am too optimistic.

Site Supporter
    Mid south reloading supply had a 1k limit and you also had to buy powder or bullets as well. At least midway didn't have that requirement. I have a ammoseek saved search and notification going for small pistol primers pickens are pretty slim right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    And they are gone. Despite my qualms about the price I picked up some along with 4lbs of N320.

I was thinking of getting started with reloading last fall but kept putting things off because of low ammo prices and then wanting to cut down on my discretionary spending due to the economy and potential layoffs. I am really hoping the primer shortage is similar to the toilet paper shortage and people will stop stockpiling once they realize they have more primers stored than they will ever hope to shoot, but I keep seeing people posting about buying 20k at a time so maybe I am too optimistic.
    Keep looking. A lot of old guys like me have a giant stock pile of components because of buying from older shooters who were getting out of the game. Many shotgun powders are used for reloading handgun ammo. Gun clubs abound with treasure to be found. Want to know how to get started reloading cheap with excellent equipment?
    PM me. We can correspond on my favorite topic. You can begin buying basic items now. Cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I used to run Small Rifle Primers in pistols trying to make the old 175 major power factor. No issues lighting them off in a pistol. If you are out of small pistol but have small rifle, might give them a try. Of course small rifle is hard to find now also.
    Some people have reported excessive breech face erosion when doing this, and the theory I've seen put forward about it is that the harder cups of the rifle primers do not expand to fill the pockets as well and thus let hot gas sneak past. Whether there's any truth to that or not, I'm unsure, but I've never run my supply of pistol primers down low enough to be willing to try it.

Apparently the shortage is severe enough that OEM ammo companies using other companies primers can't get them anymore. Supervel is offering to load ammo with customer supplied primers as their supplier, CCI, is loading the majority of their primers into ammo themselves and reserving what's left for retail customers.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Keep looking. A lot of old guys like me have a giant stock pile of components because of buying from older shooters who were getting out of the game. Many shotgun powders are used for reloading handgun ammo. Gun clubs abound with treasure to be found. Want to know how to get started reloading cheap with excellent equipment?
    PM me. We can correspond on my favorite topic. You can begin buying basic items now. Cheap.
    I just sold 2 MEC loaders with bars and bushings to a trap shooter for $200. He was driving a new Lincoln SUV if that matters.

I'm all done with trap shooting. Shotguns were sold a few years ago.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I have enough primers to get me thru this latest shortage. I stock up when I can find them for $25/1000. That might be awhile given the latest conditions. 5.56 and 9 mm may be gone for a very long time.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    As an aside, last October I googled up “small pistol primer sale”, just for curiosity sakes. I had 5,000 primers still sitting under the bed, unopened since purchase in 2014. I didn’t really need to buy another 5,000 small primers, but noticed the CCI was running a generous rebate that expired end of Oct 2019. So, bought 5,000 online, and submitted the rebate. Got my money back from CCI in about eight weeks. Lesson learned. After this crisis settles back down, I will probably buy another case of primers. They don’t go bad.

I get it but the answer isn't always be smarter. When there is a drought for long enough those personal stockpiles of primers begin to dry up. I'm not buying components to hang on to them I'm buying to shoot. This has been a slow year of shooting for me (for obvious reasons) and it still hasn't taken long to burn up 5k of primers. Now it's time to replenish or seriously throttle my shooting.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I have enough primers to get me thru this latest shortage. I stock up when I can find them for $25/1000. That might be awhile given the latest conditions. 5.56 and 9 mm may be gone for a very long time.
    I haven't seen primers for $25/1k in a long time. My average is around $30. Well it was until recently.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

It seems like it just goes from one extreme to the other. We just went from ammo being so cheap that reloading didn’t make sense to no ammo and no components at all.

I think it’s safe to say stock the hell up when stuff comes back around. I’m okay for now but I’m putting back 2 years of supply when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List