Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampfox Optics

Yeah I remember the first drop that we ever did a RMA on. Dude had one on a competition gun and was running a stage that required you to shoot steel with primary hand only, then switch hands and shoot left hand only after moving from point A to point B. He tried to do the hand switch while on the run and sort of flung the gun sideways, earning a DQ for the day as everyone cringed and dove for cover. Landed on concrete, like a cinder block material. Cracked glass, boom done. As the kids would say, YEET! Anyway, he got a new optic. The good news is, our return rates are really small, small enough that I can actually remember and recount individual stories like this on why guys had to send scopes back to us.

It was one of our first generation pistol dots, the Kingslayer which is made of 6061. The new ones are 7075 and will all have the optional "Ironsides" stainless steel add-on available for them to help out with "whoops" situations like that. We came a long way in just one year between the Kingslayer and the newer generation of dots.
    Last edited by SwampfoxMike; 09-16-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampfoxMike View Post
    Yeah I remember the first drop that we ever did a RMA on. Dude had one on a competition gun and was running a stage that required you to shoot steel with primary hand only, then switch hands and shoot left hand only after moving from point A to point B. He tried to do the hand switch while on the run and sort of flung the gun sideways, earning a DQ for the day as everyone cringed and dove for cover. Landed on concrete, like a cinder block material. Cracked glass, boom done. As the kids would say, YEET! Anyway, he got a new optic. The good news is, our return rates are really small, small enough that I can actually remember and recount individual stories like this on why guys had to send scopes back to us.

It was one of our first generation pistol dots, the Kingslayer which is made of 6061. The new ones are 7075 and will all have the optional "Ironsides" stainless steel add-on available for them to help out with "whoops" situations like that. We came a long way in just one year between the Kingslayer and the newer generation of dots.
    I have not yet started using pistol mounted optics, but am looking to start at some point soon. Your participation here as well as your openness and honesty about your products definitely gives me a favorable impression of your company and products.

Site Supporter
    Some pics for you
    Attached Images Attached Images     

@CarlK

Thanks for those pics! It looks like those XS Sights work well through the optic, correct? Could you measure the front sight and rear sight heights? Thanks!

Also, a bit unrelated, has anyone ran a green fiber optic front sight with an RDS? Thinking of going this route. I really like the green vis laser and red dot combo on my 300BLK HD gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    @CarlK

Thanks for those pics! It looks like those XS Sights work well through the optic, correct? Could you measure the front sight and rear sight heights? Thanks!

Also, a bit unrelated, has anyone ran a green fiber optic front sight with an RDS? Thinking of going this route. I really like the green vis laser and red dot combo on my 300BLK HD gun.
    The Minimalist sights give a great lower-third sight pic through the Sentinel optic as seen in my bottom pic above. I unfortunately am unable to provide the sight measurements.

Like @HeavyDuty I was inspired by @CarlK 's setup and ordered an auto Sentinel from Rockeys and a set of the Minimalists. Delivery was speedy on both. My first impression is that the Sentinel is pretty bright in daylight and dims nicely when the sensor is covered. It's definitely compact, but also efficient. I don't feel cheated in FOV.

I could be a little off here and there, but with my calipers, the XS front blade measures 0.215 high x 0.145 wide. The rear is a little tricky due to angles, but I get 0.295 in total height. The rear blade itself is 0.205 tall but I haven't installed it or measured the dovetail depth to know how much of a gap there is with the top of the slide. The notch is pretty wide at 0.175 and its 0.150 deep leaving 0.055 of blade showing below the notch. The front dot is nice and big and bright.

Site Supporter
    SwampfoxMike,

I did find the missing screws and can confirm that the M4x0.7 10.1mm length works perfectly in mounting the Sentinel to the G43X MOS.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK View Post
    SwampfoxMike,

I did find the missing screws and can confirm that the M4x0.7 10.1mm length works perfectly in mounting the Sentinel to the G43X MOS.
    I hope your foot heals quickly.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I hope your foot heals quickly.

Haha! The vacuum cleaner found it.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'm so impressed with the Trihawk I ordered a Blade and Sentinel.

As far as the Trihawk goes, I was limited to 100 yds but at the same time that's about as far as I can ever shoot anyway. Razor sharp reticle, and the shake-n-wake seems to work just fine - this is my first optic with that feature, I admit I was a bit leery. Optic held zero...with some basic and preventable foresight/prep. The mounting screws did work loose initially on my first range trip, but not after I put blue loctite on them. Not an issue and it was even something I considered beforehand, so just something to be aware of. With that corrected, I have had and foresee no issues with normal (by PF standards, fairly heavy by most others) use.

3x has its own pros and con vs 1x prisms or "regular" dots, and I've stated before and even recently that I see no real advantages to a 1x prism vs a blurry dot. But I've changed my mind. While testing will tell the whole story, I've come to believe a sharp reticle may be a substantial improvement over a blurry dot at 50+ yds. After familiarization I'll be running timed drills with an accuracy penalty to see which suits me best.

Regarding the Trihawk, overall I expected it to be "ok" and live on a range gun but it's overperformed. I'm quite impressed. There's a bit of a weight penalty but I believe it would do quite well on an HD or hunting gun. I don't hunt myself (got enough expensive hobbies already) but my brother said it'd do well on a deer gun.

User Tag List