Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampfox Optics

The marketing dude from Swamp Fox laid out how they came to be on another site early last year. Some un-named China is asshoe optics factory who OEM's for several companies decided they wanted to go direct to consumer and Swamp Fox Optics is that vehicle. Someone involved has Army SOF ties and that's behind the naming convention.

ETA: On the gram they show SF guys OCONUS running the Arrowhead LPVO's on various blasters.

Site Supporter
    Tough to get details on Swampfox - the other forums focused on long range rifle fill up the threads with "China bad" vs technical discussion.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Tough to get details on Swampfox - the other forums focused on long range rifle fill up the threads with "China bad" vs technical discussion.
    I see that a lot of places too. And while I agree with the sentiment and I'm no fan of the Chinese Communist Party assholes, a lot of the people saying those things have absolutely no idea where the stuff they are buying is made. I see "I buy American! That's why I buy Vortex!" from people posting pictures of their Strike Eagle and I feel that stabbing pain behind my right eye that tells me it's time to go stare at the sun for a while.

It's not just optics. A number of guitar manufacturers are selling "made in the USA" guitars that are "made" from parts imported from China. Wood, hardware, pickups, pots, switches, the lot. It all gets shipped to a factory in the US where they do some assembly and final finishing and charge a premium because "made in USA!"

People struggle with the international nature of commerce (A Honda Accord is a more domestically manufactured vehicle than, say, many cars offered by "domestic" makes) and sourcing of parts and materials is often kept quite close to the vest.

Undoing all of that is like trying to untangle a backlashed baitcaster reel. Or Christmas lights. When you're blindfolded. And you can only use your two index fingers.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    “Undoing all of that is like trying to untangle a backlashed baitcaster reel. Or Christmas lights. When you're blindfolded. And you can only use your two index fingers.”

While perhaps true, that is because manufacturers in the first instance and retailers in the last often choose to be less than forthcoming, deliberately, with an agenda for doing so, in my personal opinion re their products’ country of origin.

I get that Chinese made goods can be superlative-Apple and Arcteryx are but two well known examples. Neither wrap themselves in a rah rah ‘Merica motif. Swampfox clearly is.

To extrapolate, it was important to my son that he attend an unapologetically Christian college. To him, that meant 2 things as he searched:

1. Weekly Chapel
    2. It should be clear within 2 clicks on the website re the essential essence of the school.

Maybe I just did not make the correct two clicks on Swampfox website re country of origin/manufacture/supply etc...but I doubt it. The Swampfox “about “ tab is chock full of info. If they wanted their potential American customer base to know that they are changing the paradigm by manufacturing in Asia in a factory that SF owns and they are passing the savings on to the customer, they could say that.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    The marketing dude from Swamp Fox laid out how they came to be on another site early last year. Some un-named China is asshoe optics factory who OEM's for several companies decided they wanted to go direct to consumer and Swamp Fox Optics is that vehicle. Someone involved has Army SOF ties and that's behind the naming convention.

ETA: On the gram they show SF guys OCONUS running the Arrowhead LPVO's on various blasters.

Who am I to say it's wrong for a Chinese company to appropriate the name of a guerrilla warfare pioneer and Revolutionary War hero? Either you think it is wrong or you think it isn't wrong.

That the marketing guy for the Chinese company claims there was an undefined tie to an unidentified person with ties to Army SOF doesn't make the name correct. Unless COL Banks is the majority shareholder, I don't want to hear some weak sauce about an SF guy making it okay to use the name.

]========

Send some free stuff to some SF guys and get them to take pics on the range. It's not a testament to much.

============

Who said this was an American company? Everything I'm reading on the 'net says it isn't.
    Last edited by BigD; 07-21-2020 at 12:51 AM.

I for one welcome this company into the market. Competition is good for us. If companies like Holosun, Sig, and Shield didn't come into the market, I don't think Aimpoint, Trijicon and Leupold would be apt to be as innovative or offer lower prices.

As far as the Swampfox branding, it worked! They're being talked about, and maybe somebody will actually try them out. Like the saying goes: there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Site Supporter
    Does anyone have info or seen technical reviews on their 5-25 scope with 34 mm body? As someone else pointed out on another forum, every rifle does not need a $3000 scope. I am interested in a competent lower price point scope.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I for one welcome this company into the market. Competition is good for us. If companies like Holosun, Sig, and Shield didn't come into the market, I don't think Aimpoint, Trijicon and Leupold would be apt to be as innovative or offer lower prices.

As far as the Swampfox branding, it worked! They're being talked about, and maybe somebody will actually try them out. Like the saying goes: there is no such thing as bad publicity.
    I agree. Competition is a very good thing. I have been shooting long range for a few years now and the evolution of rifle scopes is amazing - specifically the "PRS like" entry scopes. See the Vortex evolution of PST 1 to PST 2 and now their Strike Eagle 34mm model.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Who am I to say it's wrong for a Chinese company to appropriate the name of a guerrilla warfare pioneer and Revolutionary War hero? Either you think it is wrong or you think it isn't wrong.

That the marketing guy for the Chinese company claims there was an undefined tie to an unidentified person with ties to Army SOF doesn't make the name correct. Unless COL Banks is the majority shareholder, I don't want to hear some weak sauce about an SF guy making it okay to use the name.
    Let me be clear since you quoted my post. What I posted was informational in nature and not done to justify anything about this company. I'm not a stakeholder or customer invested in defending my purchase. The entire naming convention is weak sauce when tied to a china is asshoe product regardless of who's involved.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Let me be clear since you quoted my post. What I posted was informational in nature and not done to justify anything about this company. I'm not a stakeholder or customer invested in defending my purchase. The entire naming convention is weak sauce when tied to a china is asshoe product regardless of who's involved.
    I understood you were passing the information along, not trying to justify the name. My little rant was meant for Swamp Fox, not you.

User Tag List