Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampfox Optics

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    As a datapoint on battery life, I purchased one of the mid-September justices based on recommendations in this thread. I started carrying it early November. The included Malak branded battery was dead this past Friday afternoon. A new energizer was installed yesterday evening and everything looks good. The large thin o-ring was pinched during the initial install and came apart when I removed the battery door. I am impressed with how securely the battery is retained within the optic. Carry was 6-8 hrs/day at full brightness for the first month, then 3 clicks down after that.

I purchased a second justice on new-years and plan to mount it on the carry handle of my AR using the trijicon mount.
    I woke up this morning to a dead dot. I replaced the battery with a Eunicell branded cell that came with my second justice, and it appears to be good to go. Has anyone else been tracking battery life?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Metal deforms and stays that way. Plastic tends to deform and return to it's original shape.

Early polymer housing MRDS like the Doctor, while fragile, tolerated G forces on slides very well, better than early metal body MRDS. It's definitely worth exploring for industry.
    You need the total package- a polymer housing and/or lens alone is not enough.

In my indirect experience (several friends carrying them) the all-plastic Romeo Zero is, to borrow a particularly pithy phrase which, as far as I am aware, originated with a respected member of this forum, a Wretched, Pulsating Ball of Suck and Fail.

I think a polymer housing puts significantly greater demands on the internals of the optic, particularly PCB’s and adjustment hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    You need the total package- a polymer housing and/or lens alone is not enough.

In my indirect experience (several friends carrying them) the all-plastic Romeo Zero is, to borrow a particularly pithy phrase which, as far as I am aware, originated with a respected member of this forum, a Wretched, Pulsating Ball of Suck and Fail.

I think a polymer housing puts significantly greater demands on the internals of the optic, particularly PCB’s and adjustment hardware.
    So maybe an integral but replaceable polymer shroud around a metal body? Allows the polymer to deform absorbing and distributing impact around the inner metal body?

Quote Originally Posted by skandar View Post
    So maybe an integral but replaceable polymer shroud around a metal body? Allows the polymer to deform absorbing and distributing impact around the inner metal body?
    You'd be getting too large at that point. I'm also not sure how much absorption a plastic shroud would offer for these drop "tests", at least with the envelope things have to fit into.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You'd be getting too large at that point. I'm also not sure how much absorption a plastic shroud would offer for these drop "tests", at least with the envelope things have to fit into.
    I'm thinking more of a laminated or little to no air gap structure. The deflection of the polymer may not even be a visible thing, but more a materials compression issue, sort of like early laminate armors. But...I'm not an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    Completely different use/concept.
    The defender is designed to protect the lens from front impacts, such as racking the slide off the optic. It's not a shroud to reduce drop damage.
    His defender (like the two Swampfox optics) broke on the drop test, but the defender and Swampfox all easily survived the racking the slide off the optic.
    I feel like if he's gonna call the defender a sacrificial protector that helped absorb shock on the drop test (since that's when it got "sacrificed"), then the metal shroud could easily be considered the same exact thing.

TOE-MAY-TOE, TUH-MAH-TOE.

It sounds like the closed emitter Kraken is delayed until the end of the year.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

So it’s been over a year with no updates. Is everyone happy with theirs or did they crash and burn so bad it’s not worth updating the thread?

I’m looking at dots for a couple of Ruger MKIVs and these came up in the ~$200 range.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I'm happy with mine.

Justice, on a G19 build. It's been solid, just crossed 700 rounds with it, various drills and training evolutions, day and night, 0-50 yards, wierd positions, all of it.

Been knocked around outdoors, out shooting/training in a couple of rainstorms, carried daily quite a bit.

Too soon to tell on battery life, still on original.

Holds zero, nice and bright in day, low levels are great for shooting at night, glass is good and clear. I think it's solid, very pleased with it.

Fun fact: a friend of mine bought one used, dirt cheap. Had a scratch on the lense. He contacted their warranty dept., they had him send it in, and sent him a brand new one, no charge. That is amazing.

So now they have 2 customers for life. Swampfox kicks ass.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So it’s been over a year with no updates. Is everyone happy with theirs or did they crash and burn so bad it’s not worth updating the thread?

I’m looking at dots for a couple of Ruger MKIVs and these came up in the ~$200 range.
    The optics I bought are still running. I have multiple Arrowhead optics on carbines that are running fine. No complaints.

I have multiple Justice optics, one on a 1301 and one running on an M&P. The one currently on the M&P has been mounted on multiple guns without problem.

I've seen a couple of issues with client-purchased Sentinel optics.

- A client purchased multiple green-dot version Sentinel optics that had significant optical distortion in the lens. It was creating enough distortion that even when I shot her guns I found myself closing my left eye to shoot. She exchanged them for red dot equipped Sentinel optics.

- The glass in one of her green-dot Sentinel optics came loose of the optic housing during firing. The bottom of the lens protruded out the front of the optic housing. She's getting that replaced with a red dot version.

I have one more Justice currently not mounted on anything. It's likely going to get mounted on my Ruger MKII.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List