Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampfox Optics

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    He doesn’t believe shrouds - whether from SIG, Swap fox, or Whomever, make any real difference in drip or crush durability.
    Or Leupold... I suppose based on my experience he’s right. That “non-duty worthy” SRO did better on our drops than the DeltaPoint Pro did with that steel shroud.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Or Leupold... I suppose based on my experience he’s right. That “non-duty worthy” SRO did better on our drops than the DeltaPoint Pro did with that steel shroud.
    I’d be cushions how many “crush” failure involve plainclothes type holsters vs duty type.

I’d be cushions how many “crush” failure involve plainclothes type holsters vs duty type.
    I’d be curious to know all about them. I wouldn’t be surprised they can happen, but with details I can test and attempt to replicate. Without they are allegations.

I’d be curious to know all about them. I wouldn’t be surprised they can happen, but with details I can test and attempt to replicate. Without they are allegations.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Calen mentioned one occurring as the officer rolled around on the ground with a suspect and another resulted from an officer and suspect struggling and knocking a holstered pistol into the side of a concrete Jersey barrier.

For a guy who "doesn't believe in shrouds," he had no problem testing out the CHPWS polymer "defender" shroud for the Holosun.

I mean, technically it's a mounting plate AND a shroud, but it's still polymer.

NOTE: The "Defender" broke in the testing and he said that was okay because he considered it a "sacrificial" protection thingy.

A guy stepped up to the plate to test the Ironsides in a drop test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOjRjAF77aU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzuMH1jMXA
    My takeaway is that the shroud will keep the optic safe for one hard impact. But, it should be immediately replaced because the closer it deforms to touching the optic, it might actually transfer MORE force.
    Considering even the Holosun titanium models are delaminating even a little on drops, Trijicon just flat out has everyone by the balls with their patent and the shroud is about the only other way to maybe protect the optic.
    I like my Liberty better without the shroud, and to me it's about the same in durability as the Holosun 507c. The Trijicon RMR will probably reign supreme as a patrol duty optic. The Liberty and Justice have a clearer window, are supremely affordable, and durable enough in my mind to be a viable choice.
    Something to note, when I changed to the CHPWS plate and took the Ironsides off, I had a very significant elevation shift in my zero. I had to make a large adjustment just from optic being a tiny amount closer to the plate.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 05-03-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    For a guy who "doesn't believe in shrouds," he had no problem testing out the CHPWS polymer "defender" shroud for the Holosun.

NOTE: The "Defender" broke in the testing and he said that was okay because he considered it a "sacrificial" protection thingy.
    Metal deforms and stays that way. Plastic tends to deform and return to it's original shape.

Early polymer housing MRDS like the Doctor, while fragile, tolerated G forces on slides very well, better than early metal body MRDS. It's definitely worth exploring for industry.

Sage Dynamics Sentinel Video

https://youtu.be/KaRwwdvs-Kg

Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post

Completely different use/concept.

The defender is designed to protect the lens from front impacts, such as racking the slide off the optic. It's not a shroud to reduce drop damage.

User Tag List