Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampfox Optics

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Sage Dynamics review of the Justice

I never have the time or patience for video reviews of anything. If anyone can provide a simple recap, I’d be very appreciative.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I never have the time or patience for video reviews of anything. If anyone can provide a simple recap, I’d be very appreciative.
    Lense cracked during drop test but it still functioned and maintained zero. He wouldn't carry it on duty.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Lense cracked during drop test but it still functioned and maintained zero. He wouldn't carry it on duty.
    Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Sage Dynamics’ drop tests are truly brutal. Anything that survives his testing should last me for a lifetime.

It is not that I am defending this, or any other Swampfox product. I am committed to the Aimpoint ACRO P-1, with a milled slide that already has an ACRO, and a second ACRO that I later acquired, still awaiting its permanent placement on a weapon. (We stopped going to ranges, when COVID came along, stopping all sighting-in and T&E.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    It's a little too truncated of a summary. He did 4 drop tests and 2000 rounds. On the first, there was a slight delamination crack in the top of the window similar to what happened when he tested the Holosun 507c. Zero was maintained. On the next 2 drops, no further cracking of the glass occurred and zero was maintained. On the fourth and final drop, the glass finally cracked top to bottom, but the glass stayed in the housing, dot was still useable, and zero maintained. He said he wouldn't carry it in a duty capacity but thinks it's fine as a concealed carry optic.
    I was baffled because it outperformed the DPP in his previous tests. He also tested it without the steel ironsides shroud to make it a better comparison to optics without one. For some reason I don't understand, in follow up comments he was very negative about them offering the ironsides in the first place.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    It's a little too truncated of a summary. He did 4 drop tests and 2000 rounds. On the first, there was a slight delamination crack in the top of the window similar to what happened when he tested the Holosun 507c. Zero was maintained. On the next 2 drops, no further cracking of the glass occurred and zero was maintained. On the fourth and final drop, the glass finally cracked top to bottom, but the glass stayed in the housing, dot was still useable, and zero maintained. He said he wouldn't carry it in a duty capacity but thinks it's fine as a concealed carry optic.
    I was baffled because it outperformed the DPP in his previous tests. He also tested it without the steel ironsides shroud to make it a better comparison to optics without one. For some reason I don't understand, in follow up comments he was very negative about them offering the ironsides in the first place.
    He doesn’t believe shrouds - whether from SIG, Swap fox, or Whomever, make any real difference in drip or crush durability.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    He doesn’t believe shrouds - whether from SIG, Swap fox, or Whomever, make any real difference in drip or crush durability.
    Well that's an odd stance to take.... What is his rationale behind that belief? I have a hard time believing a well designed shroud would not help absorb impact forces.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Well that's an odd stance to take.... What is his rationale behind that belief? I have a hard time believing a well designed shroud would not help absorb impact forces.
    It's based on his experiences testing optics and what his students, particularly LE students carrying RDS pistols have reported. Details are in his white paper.

Data > belief.

https://1312bba5-e7e7-76e8-1fca-a01b...bb23e912fa.pdf

My agency is requiring shrouds for those using the SIG Romeo1 Pro so not everyone agrees with him. However, "impact" is not the only failure mechanism. Cowan has documented several non-RMR optics on holstered pistols crushed during fights with suspects including some R1P's with the shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It's based on his experiences testing optics and what his students, particularly LE students carrying RDS pistols have reported. Details are in his white paper.

Data > belief.

https://1312bba5-e7e7-76e8-1fca-a01b...bb23e912fa.pdf

My agency is requiring shrouds for those using the SIG Romeo1 Pro so not everyone agrees with him. However, "impact" is not the only failure mechanism. Cowan has documented several non-RMR optics on holstered pistols crushed during fights with suspects including some R1P's with the shroud.
    Good enough... I haven't read his white paper but I really respect his opinion and his approach. And if he's seen the failures then he has a justified opinion.
    My retort however would be in my original statement... "a well designed shroud". If the current shrouds do not properly protect the optic then it's design failure, not a concept failure.
    That being said, a shroud is an extra point of failure and increases the size, so the better solution is a drop-proof main housing.

I’ve got a Swampfox Justice with the shroud. I like it but it won’t work in Safariland duty holsters, at least the 6354DO, with the shroud on. Makes the RDS too wide.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List