Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just entered the 10mm world round gun style

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Dammit. Last thing I need to spend money on is another gun. Impractical. I look at the 2k of .40 HST stashed on the shelf and whisper “practical”....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Just got back from the range today with the Ruger 10mm. Gun shot well and seemed to like handloads 165 grains up to 180s. The Altamont "Ropers" that are OEM began to "squirm" under recoil today despite frequent tightening. This is identical behavior to the "Altamont Ropers" I put on my GP/MC 357 a couple years ago.

GOOD BYE ALTAMONTS, AGAIN!

Back to my old Standby Hogue fingerless grip from their 44 Special.

Our range had been closed due to wildfire danger, but just reopened. I was able to get out there today and shoot my GP100 10MM 5" a bit. I also did some chronographing.

Winchester Silvertip, that averaged 1200+ FPS when previously tested in various 5" autoloaders, averaged 1147 FPS in the Ruger revolver. Buffalo Bore 180 grain JHP, that averages 1380 FPS in my 5" autoloader, averaged only 1306 FPS in the Ruger. Some 165 grain plated hollow point reloads I tested averaged a bit over 1300 FPS, just as in the auto.

I expected velocities in the revolver would be higher than in the auto. This was common with two S&W model 610 5" revolvers I used to own, but not at all so with the Ruger revolver, at least with the ammo I tested today. I try not to assume, because the chronograph often surprises me.

Rock 185, thanks for the data using the GP 5". I figured 50-75fps with a revolver due to cylinder gap. How do you like your 10 in the GP? 180s are what I am choosing to run in the GP it appears to like them best.

Zeke38, I was just interested to see if there were any functional issues, and in chronographing a couple loads previously tested in the semi-auto. I wasn't paying much attention to accuracy, but did notice the BB 180s were the most accurate in the couple targets I shot with the three different weights. May have been a fluke though, have to shoot it a lot more to determine anything definitive. My favorite 10MM bullet weight for many years has been the 165-170 grain. I have some 165 grain Underwood coming to test...

BTW, I replaced the factory grips with the MC type. Fit me much better than the smaller, slicker stock grips

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Just got back from the range today with the Ruger 10mm. Gun shot well and seemed to like handloads 165 grains up to 180s. The Altamont "Ropers" that are OEM began to "squirm" under recoil today despite frequent tightening. This is identical behavior to the "Altamont Ropers" I put on my GP/MC 357 a couple years ago.

GOOD BYE ALTAMONTS, AGAIN!

Back to my old Standby Hogue fingerless grip from their 44 Special.
    The factory grips on the 5 inch 10mm are just awful. I ditched the ones off mine after one range session in favor of the Match Champion style wood grip.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    Now a Winchester 1873 in 10mm would be awesome !
    The toggle-link action of the '73 was never envisioned or intended for anything like the pressure of a full house 10mm (37,500 psi as I recall). A modern made (best steel and heat treatment) Model of 1892 would be a wiser choice. Post WWII converting 32 WCF '92 to 357 Magnum became almost a cottage industry, at least in the West.

Dave

PS: Yes, I know the Italians are making repro '73s in 357 Mag, and what a dumb idea that is. They get away with it largely because all the CAS (IPSC in Boots) folks shoot wimpy 38 special loads in them.

Jetfire: I have a couple sets of those Altamont "Ropers" up for adoption. Running the MC grip on mine, also. Bought the first pair of "Ruger Ropers" for the MC and quickly realized my mistake, and the second pair came on the 10 but fit better, than the aftermarket. They felt OK but wiggled loose after 24 rounds of fire. Have the Hogue Ruger 44 Spl grip on the 357 MC.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I have the MC 10mm. I like it but I’m pretty frustrated with cast bullet accuracy. The chamber throats are a bit on the large side and a bullet sized .402 slips through a lot more easily than I’d like.
    Put a .403 in it and I bet those groups shrink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List