Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just entered the 10mm world round gun style

Just entered the 10mm world round gun style

Just purchased a Lipsey's 5 inch 10mm GP100. Been curious about the cartridge in a revolver. Only shot it a few rounds 30, but it's accurate and fun to shoot. Going to enjoy wringing this caliber out!

I guess I'm kind of a 10MM revolver fan. I had a couple of early 5" S&W 610s back in the early '90s, and later one of those "Buckeye" Ruger 38-40/10MM convertible Blackhawks. Never shot a single round of 38-40 through the Blackhawk.

Hope your 5" GP100 10MM works out well, I recently bought one myself

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Do your stocks fit, or do they rattle?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Olong the stocks fit tight so far. I have an identical set I purchased from Altamont a year or so ago and I had to sand and shim to get them to sorta fit. The mid seam on the grip is fairly sealed but not seamless like the VZs on other model handguns. I'll send you the other set to see if they fit yours. These in the pic were on my MC.

Nice. Did you shoot any .40 S&W thru it? Does that model come in stainless? I tried searching fo a Smith 610 pre-lock version, but most sellers want more than I am willing to pay.

I did shoot 6 rounds of Double Tap 180 40 S&W through the Ruger using the Ruger Moonclips that came with the gun. All six fired without a problem. Just a curiousity sample, shot tight too. One hole ten yds on a head shot target. I used to carry a 40 and have lots of brass and ammo. Will keep you posted. Have the Double Tap load as a SD load right now. Still accumulating components and equipment for the 10.

Site Supporter
    Lipsey's has a run of stainless convertible Blackhawks in .40 & 10mm. They offer a 4.62in or a 6.5in barrel variant. Right as I decided on the 4.62in, they sold out which I think was a message. I haven't decided if I want the 6.5in of that flavor, or to find a blued 10mm GP100 just like Zeke's.

But a 10mm wheel gun is really the last thing I need right now, but I *want* it and with all that's going on, buying something I want that isn't terribly practical seems like good medicine for the soul.

FWIW, I did fair amount of chronographing back in the day with my 5" S&W 610 revolvers, and various 10MM semi-autos with 4.25" and 5" barrels. More often than not, the revolvers produced higher velocities with a given load. For instance, factory CorBon 135 grain JHP averaged 1475 FPS in a 5" semi-auto, 1585 FPS in a 5" 610 Revolver. I've not had the opportunity to chronograph loads in the Lipseys 5" Ruger, and compare to my one remaining 5" 10MM semi-auto, but I'm going to do that as soon as the opportunity presents.

JRB, I sure didn't need another firearm of any type. The Lipseys revolver was just one of those "good medicine for the soul" things you mentioned
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    FWIW, I did fair amount of chronographing back in the day with my 5" S&W 610 revolvers, and various 10MM semi-autos with 4.25" and 5" barrels. More often than not, the revolvers produced higher velocities with a given load. For instance, factory CorBon 135 grain JHP averaged 1475 FPS in a 5" semi-auto, 1585 FPS in a 5" 610 Revolver. I've not had the opportunity to chronograph loads in the Lipseys 5" Ruger, and compare to my one remaining 5" 10MM semi-auto, but I'm going to do that as soon as the opportunity presents.

JRB, I sure didn't need another firearm of any type. The Lipseys revolver was just one of those "good medicine for the soul" things you mentioned
    A 1076 is a 'bucket list' gun for me (one of the very tip-top of that list, no less) so I adore that beast you shared there! I didn't know they did the frame decocker on a 5in gun, what variant is that?

I don't know if it's because I'm approaching my 40's, or if it's a simple inescapable truth - but I've found that basically all revolvers are 'good medicine for the soul'.

My current 5" S&W is a 1026. I had two, or maybe it was three, 1076s. I suspect one was one of those FBI guns, but I never cared enough to confirm it. Didn't realize that one day a 1076 lettered to the FBI would be a $$$$ collectible. In any case the 1076s, FBI or not, were fine, totally reliable guns that handled the "real" 10MM ammo without issue. Interestingly I thought, the 1076s have a lighter recoil spring than the 1006/1026s, etc. I suspect they were set up for the lighter FBI loads. I just preferred the 1006s and 1026s due to their heavier slides, and slightly better ballistics due to the longer barrel

User Tag List