Thread: Federal Frangible 12ga Slugs

Federal Frangible 12ga Slugs

https://www.natchezss.com/federal-re...lug-25-ct.html

Anybody have any info on these? They advertise it for training or defense, and I already ordered one box simply because these have been the only slugs available since I have installed a rifle-sighted 18in barrel on my 870, and i needed something to sight it in with, and these would do for that if nothing else. But anybody know if they would be any good for more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    https://www.natchezss.com/federal-re...lug-25-ct.html

Anybody have any info on these? They advertise it for training or defense, and I already ordered one box simply because these have been the only slugs available since I have installed a rifle-sighted 18in barrel on my 870, and i needed something to sight it in with, and these would do for that if nothing else. But anybody know if they would be any good for more than that?
    They are good for training on steel targets. Frangible bullets have to hit something hard to function as intended. In regular building materials and people, they tend to penetrate just like FMJs.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    They are good for training on steel targets. Frangible bullets have to hit something hard to function as intended. In regular building materials and people, they tend to penetrate just like FMJs.

Never had any experience with frangible projectiles, so that's good to know. Probably not the best option for home defense then. Also low recoil must be relative, because "3/4 oz slug" and "1600fps" don't say low recoil to me. And after firing 5 rounds, my shoulder takes issue with that labeling.

User Tag List