Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition as a negative

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    One last thing re: competence/confidence and martial arts (especially competitive martial arts), you cannot overstate the benefits of getting completely smashed and the gut check it takes to not only go back and keep getting smashed but doing it for months or years until you're the one doing the smashing.
    I could not possibly agree more. Taking that ego hit as a lesson that you have work to do and then actually doing said work and getting better is probably competition's largest single benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    As a side issue, I think it is a mistake for an attractive women to post sexualized pictures of herself on social media. As a professor type, we told our female students to avoid that as they certainly would have their social media searched when they applied for a job. Also, in professional presentations, time to dress conservatively.

You don't need the distraction and unwanted attention in this world.

Now, not to step into the lawyer lane but if this (God forbid) went to some trial, I as a juror (fat chance of being on that jury) might find reasonable doubt the standard to decide on as to the threat being eliminated.
    To be fair, in addition to being LAPD she is an aspiring model and competitive shooter who is likely looking for sponsors of one kind or another. Her instagram and other social media are very important for building a personal brand where she presents a marketable image.

Looking hot is her job.

My understanding from reading that Dillon Blue Press article is that her family has a long history of service with LAPD, and she is following in the family footsteps.

Bless anyone who wants to do that, considering the current climate of anti-LEO media coverage.

And when I that tap-rack-bang malfunction clearance, I thought "That is one solid officer!" Another example of what @John Hearne calls automaticity, or others call unconscious competence.

I hope all turns out well for her, and she continues her service to the people of LA. I have family there, and have a vested interest in having solid officers like her on the street.

Site Supporter
    I messages the following to a buddy in my office re

“Given her linage and competitive background, she had played that tape in her head. Shoot, do not miss (drop points), move, communicate.

It will also be a classic UOF training tool re this is what unconscious competence in gun handling gets you. Your mind is completely free to solve the tactical problem”

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My understanding from reading that Dillon Blue Press article is that her family has a long history of service with LAPD, and she is following in the family footsteps.

Bless anyone who wants to do that, considering the current climate of anti-LEO media coverage.

And when I that tap-rack-bang malfunction clearance, I thought "That is one solid officer!" Another example of what @John Hearne calls automaticity, or others call unconscious competence.

I hope all turns out well for her, and she continues her service to the people of LA. I have family there, and have a vested interest in having solid officers like her on the street.
    In this case? Or are you talking about the MI deputy? I didn't see a malfunction clearance in this video. Am I just missing part of it?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by smells like feet View Post
    To be fair, in addition to being LAPD she is an aspiring model and competitive shooter who is likely looking for sponsors of one kind or another. Her instagram and other social media are very important for building a personal brand where she presents a marketable image.

Looking hot is her job.
    It might not be "fair", but those two things are not compatible with being a police officer in this day and age. Social Media involvement of any kind is a bad, bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    It might not be "fair", but those two things are not compatible with being a police officer in this day and age. Social Media involvement of any kind is a bad, bad idea.
    Yet here you are, a police officer, posting on social media.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Yet here you are, a police officer, posting on social media.
    No pictures in my american flag speedo with an AR15, though. You should all be thankful.

Site Supporter
    I have some nice gun pictures of myself. But they make me look fat. One was on the cover of Tom Given's newsletter a few years ago. Can I be a model!

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    No pictures in my american flag speedo with an AR15, though. You should all be thankful.
    I will second, being grateful for not seeing that.

User Tag List