Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition as a negative

Site Supporter

Competition as a negative

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/la...itive-shooter/

[Daniel] Hernandez’s parents and 14-year-old daughter argue, through their attorneys, that McBride could have done more to deescalate the confrontation. She might, for example, have stepped behind a bystander’s car to buy time, they say. They contend that she responded like the competitive shooter seen on video, racing to get off shots.

“She loves to shoot all these things as fast as she can,” said Casillas, the lawyer for Hernandez’s family. “That certainly is in stark contrast to the measured, cautious police officer, exhibiting a reverence for life. This isn’t a movie.”
    The nuance is that competition is being used as an added negative. Larry Hickey had his training (civilian case) brought up against him. In some of the research we did, we found that gun negative folks looked at training as a negative in an SD case. Gun positive people were neutral or positive.

Discussing this with BBI, it is obvious that attorneys will go for whatever they think will support their case.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    it is obvious that attorneys will go for whatever they think will support their case.
    The crux of the matter. In a world were we say more than ever and document it more thoroughly than ever, the whole "anything you say can and will be used against you" line resonates strongly. Lawyers gonna lawyer.

Regardless, I'd rather have the combination of capability and enjoyment of training and competition, and be justifying that to a jury as a defendant with expert witnesses in tow, than to live my life avoiding doing things I enjoy for fear I might employ them in non-recreational ways, and then lose the fight and have my family need expert witnesses as the plaintiffs in my absence.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I would be way out of my lane to comment on whether that use of force was justified, but I will say that I can understand how it would look sketchy to a non-expert. The guy in the video looked more wobbly than threatening, and I'm none too sure about additional shots after he had already fallen to the ground after the first several shots. Hopefully someone with actual expertise can comment on how it looks to them after watching the video.

Regarding the "competition shooter" angle, I don't see how that plays into it at all - the shots were fired at a VERY measured cadence.

100% good shoot in my view. And a perfect example of why I despise most lawyers. Too many Americans form their ideas about what’s right, legal, moral, and tactical for deadly force based on TV and movies.

If you could also show that you'd taken courses on verbal judo (or deescalation or whatever they're calling it these days) you could mitigate the perception that you're some idiot treating everything like a nail just because you're carrying a hammer...

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    100% good shoot in my view.
    Would you be willing to expand on that? Watching the video, he didn't obey commands, but he looked more like he was lurching around than about to rush at anybody to my very non-expert eyes. I didn't see an immediate, needs immediate lethal force type of threat, but maybe I'm missing something, and I'd like to learn. Perhaps there was some visual cue that he was about to transition into that mode that I just didn't see?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/la...itive-shooter/

Defense counsel can then argue the competition skills permit faster friend/for identification ability to shoot or not shoot under stress and greater ability to avoid hitting non threats people's.
    The nuance is that competition is being used as an added negative. Larry Hickey had his training (civilian case) brought up against him. In some of the research we did, we found that gun negative folks looked at training as a negative in an SD case. Gun positive people were neutral or positive.

Discussing this with BBI, it is obvious that attorneys will go for whatever they think will support their case.

Site Supporter
    "If you could also show that you'd taken courses on verbal judo (or deescalation or whatever they're calling it these days) you could mitigate the perception that you're some idiot treating everything like a nail just because you're carrying a hammer..."

Bonafides or STFU.

Good shoot.

If anything, competition made her a better shot, as misses would be a danger to bystanders. She took slow, intentional shots until the subject stopped being a threat.

But this is California, where the half the population thinks the world should be full of unicorns and rainbows, cops are bad, and a suicidal man should be shot with marshmallows until he complies.

I hope she wins her case.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

What's also misleading is the wide angle lens of the body cam that makes close objects look further away. I was trying to figure out what the distance was but I'd find it hard to believe she wasn't fully versed on Tueller.

User Tag List