Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 625 engineering changes

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    This might be a bit weird, but my 625-6 Mountain Gun has a hammer mounted firing pin. (I believe Smith & Wesson calls it a hammer nose.)
    Is it a .45 Long Colt? I'm seeing at least one person at smith-wesson forum saying some dash 6 Mountain Guns were made in LC with the hammer mounted firing pin while the dash 6's in ACP were all using the frame mounted firing pin. That doesn't match anything else I'm finding online but...

Edited to add: continuing to search and finding multiple photos from various folks of dash 6's in LC with the hammer nose. One poster says they're rare but no history found yet. I really should buy the Smith and Wesson standard catalog but keep telling myself I'm a shooter not a collector... though the gun safe says that might be becoming a lie :-)
    Last edited by Half Moon; 07-19-2020 at 07:38 AM.

I have heard, from folks more knowledgeable than me, that you can (almost) never say never about S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Is it a .45 Long Colt?
    Yes it is. (Well, technically it's a .45 Colt. But the term Long Colt is in such common use that even some ammunition manufacturers mark their .45 Colt ammunition as .45 Long Colt.)

I added a 625-6 "Model of 1989" .45 ACP to my collection last April, and frankly, I'm starting to second guess myself. Don't get me wrong, it's an outstanding revolver, but I'm just far more comfortable with a semi-auto. I've gotten in several range trips since getting it, and I'm just not falling in love, I enjoy my Sig P220 or my CZ 97 BD far more. I got it because I felt I should have at least one revolver, and I went with the 625 simply because I already load for .45 ACP, and wasn't interested in adding another caliber to the reloading line-up. Truth is, I think it's going to be up for sale fairly soon.

But to get back to the thread title, as I understand it, this is the last pre-lock model and the first with the MIM trigger and hammer. Mine has the 5" barrel and came with the Hogue Mono-grip, which I changed out for a Hogue Tamer, it just fits my hand better, and helps reduce the already light recoil even more. I really don't know why I don't like this gun more, I love the way it looks and feels, and with the BMT Mooner tool, moon clips are a joy. The trigger is outstanding, recoil is mild, and accuracy is excellent. I love just about everything except shooting it, for some reason, that just ain't tripping my trigger, if you know what I mean . Oh well, it was a fun experiment, and I suspect I won't have any trouble recovering my cost. Later.

Dave

I would love to find a Smith 625-4 with a 5 inch barrel. The one time I found a 625 locally, it was way put of my price range.

My model 25-13.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Picked up this 625-6 Mountain Gun today from my local stealer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by akriet View Post
    IMO

625-4 (hammer mounted firing pin)
    625-6 (frame mounted firing pin)

either in 'Mountain Gun' configuration with the 4 inch, lighter, tapered barrel
    I just picked up a 625-6 Mountain Gun and the firing pin is attached to the hammer.

Copied from the S&W Forum at http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...sh-number.html

Model 625 Model of 1988/1989 .45 Stainless
    . . Note: no-dash or -1’s are not known to be made.
    -2 1989, February, .45 ACP Model of 1988, 5", black ramp, matte finish, one-piece box.
    . . 1989, April, Model of 1989, 5", Patridge front, matte finish, one-piece box.
    -3 1989, November, longer cylinder stop notch, .45 Colt added, 3 & 4" added.
    . . 1991, .45 Colt Classic, 5", 1,500 made.
    . . 1992, Cease production of 3 & 4" versions.
    -4 1993, .45 ACP, new rear sight, drilled & tapped, transition to Hogue grips.
    . . 1995, April, shipping begins in 1st gen blue plastic case.
    . . 1995 - 1996, transition to round butt frame, cease production of square butt.
    . . 1996, August, new MIM angled thumbpiece seen.
    . . 1997, Shipped with Master brand trigger lock.
    -5 1993, September .45 Colt, stocking dealer special, 1,550 made, SDS s/n prefix.
    -6 1996, January, .45 ACP, new frame design with integral stop stud boss & floating firing pin, delete tang serrations, new MIM hammer and trigger, changes to internal lockwork.
    . . 1996, January, .45 Colt, 4" Mountain Gun version.
    . . 2000, February, .45 ACP, 4" Mountain Gun version.
    . . 2000, June, 3" special edition, 200 made.
    . . 2001, November, shipping begins with fired case (FC) in individual envelope.
    . . 2002, January, last -6 Model of 1989 ships.
    -7 1998, January, .45 Colt, new frame design and other changes as above for -6.
    . . 2001, November, shipping begins with fired case (FC) in individual envelope.
    -8 2002, November, .45 ACP, keyed internal lock system (ILS) introduced.
    . . 2006, March, begin shipments in 2nd gen blue plastic case.
    -9 2002, November, .45 Colt, keyed internal lock system (ILS) introduced.
    . . 2006, March, begin shipments in 2nd gen blue plastic case.
    -10 2003, Sept., .45 ACP, 2", scandium alloy frame, 300 Performance Center made.
    . . . 2004, August, 2", black scandium frame, 200 PC made for Lew Horton.
    -11 2005, October, .45 Colt, scandium alloy frame, 2", 103 PC made for LH.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Picked up this 625-6 Mountain Gun today from my local stealer.
    {Drool}

Sorry. But that is one nice gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List