Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 625 engineering changes

625 engineering changes

In the collective opinion of the hive, what’s the best rendition of the 625?

.45 ACP only.

IMO

625-4 (hammer mounted firing pin)
    625-6 (frame mounted firing pin)

either in 'Mountain Gun' configuration with the 4 inch, lighter, tapered barrel

Quote Originally Posted by akriet View Post
    IMO

625-4 (hammer mounted firing pin)

either in 'Mountain Gun' configuration with the 4 inch, lighter, tapered barrel
    I'd concur with your assessment.

Site Supporter
    I have a -6 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP and it's a great revolver in all respects. Wish I could find one in .45 Colt, since I stupidly sold one about 10 years ago.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Watching this with interest, I've thought about adding a 45acp version.

Mine is a -9 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, obviously I would have preferred an earlier pre-lock version but wasn't going to be picky when I saw it at the LGS. Before I'd even left the store someone offered to buy it from me at a premium. Nope, this one is a keeper.

After adding a plug and wooden stocks, I'm happy with it and sometimes carry it in the backcountry. In California that means 200gr Barnes non-lead HP, elsewhere it's a 255gr hardcast handload once away from town. I've been able to carry it on multi-day hikes without discomfort. The unmodified DA trigger pull is 10lb 4 oz but is smooth and short enough that it's easy to shoot accurately.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    How long is the .45 Colt cylinder? Are there any six-shot, smaller bore cylinders that length that could be bored out and chambered for .45 Auto? Would be cool to have a convertible.

Although I guess that custom gunsmithing might bump up against the cost of just buying the .45 Auto 625...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Watching this with interest, I've thought about adding a 45acp version.

Mine is a -9 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, obviously I would have preferred an earlier pre-lock version but wasn't going to be picky when I saw it at the LGS. Before I'd even left the store someone offered to buy it from me at a premium. Nope, this one is a keeper.

After adding a plug and wooden stocks, I'm happy with it and sometimes carry it in the backcountry. In California that means 200gr Barnes non-lead HP, elsewhere it's a 255gr hardcast handload once away from town. I've been able to carry it on multi-day hikes without discomfort. The unmodified DA trigger pull is 10lb 4 oz but is smooth and short enough that it's easy to shoot accurately.
    Niiiiice.
    I looked quite a while for one in .45, then went with .44 mag instead but I'll still grab any good one I might run into.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I have a -6 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP and it's a great revolver in all respects. Wish I could find one in .45 Colt, since I stupidly sold one about 10 years ago.
    Couple years ago I came across a beauty of a .45 Colt 625 MG for $850 but the chambering turned me off at the time. I wish I would have grabbed it anyway. I would still rather have .45 ACP but I would settle for a .45 Colt if I could find one that cheap again.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by akriet View Post
    This might be a bit weird, but my 625-6 Mountain Gun has a hammer mounted firing pin. (I believe Smith & Wesson calls it a hammer nose.)

User Tag List