Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 686-3 Rear Sight Assembly

Site Supporter

S&W 686-3 Rear Sight Assembly

I recently purchased a 686-3 6" from a friend's estate. It had a scope mounted and the rear sight assembly is MIA. Ordered one from Numrich and it was the wrong one (front screw hole of sight tang doesn't match up with the frame hole). By my caliper measurements, it is 1.925" from the square machined surface on the back of the top strap to the center of the screw hole for the sight tang's screw.

Can anybody help me with an assembly for this?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I recently purchased a 686-3 6" from a friend's estate. It had a scope mounted and the rear sight assembly is MIA. Ordered one from Numrich and it was the wrong one (front screw hole of sight tang doesn't match up with the frame hole). By my caliper measurements, it is 1.925" from the square machined surface on the back of the top strap to the center of the screw hole for the sight tang's screw.

I have a takeoff (slightly damaged) rear sight from a 686-5, but I think they went to a drop-in (round front) on the 686-4 and you need the old square (fitted) rear for a 686-3.

As I said, it's damaged and postage is cheap. If you want to try it, it's yours. But I can't imagine with a 1.9+" spacing it would work.

I may have one. Ill have to check in a week when I get back where the parts are.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

BTW, what scope and mount, and whats the future plan for them?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Most of my stuff is still packed after my move but let me see if I can find the rear from my 66-8.

Would that work?

Call Jeff Lee of Lee's Gun Parts over in Irving.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post

Earlier sights had a very small screw hole. Later ones had a much larger hole. I remember only two variations.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I have a takeoff (slightly damaged) rear sight from a 686-5, but I think they went to a drop-in (round front) on the 686-4 and you need the old square (fitted) rear for a 686-3.

As I said, it's damaged and postage is cheap. If you want to try it, it's yours. But I can't imagine with a 1.9+" spacing it would work.
    This one has the longer square ended tang and the small mounting screw. I understand that S&W may have had several versions of this vintage of adjustable rear sight assembly, which really complicates this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    BTW, what scope and mount, and whats the future plan for them?
    Malamute, it's a Tasco 2X20 (silver/stainless finish) with a Weaver marked base that screws into the mortise for the rear sight and that clamps around the frame where the forcing cone and rifling origin are located.

Wayne, I think I have one new in box from Smith and Wesson for a project gun I never built. I will look for it. When I find it, I'll throw it in your mailbox, along with some whiskey and books that belong to you.

If it fits, keep it. That applies to the whiskey and books, too.

User Tag List