Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Hellcat banned from my department

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Springfield Hellcat banned from my department

We recently received an email that the Hellcat is no longer approved for carry on or off duty based on a malfunction that causes the trigger to lock into place. A video demonstrates the issue, so if anyone wishes to attempt to replicate it, the steps appear to be:

1: Partially press the trigger, enough to activate the safety tab, then release. (Ie, started to shoot, situation changed, and did not need to shoot)

2: Then attempt to press the trigger as normal (Ie, situation changed again and now you need to shoot) and the trigger will not move.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Huh. Just tried this repeatedly with snap caps and can't replicate. Any link to the video?

Site Supporter
    Has Springfield been informed of the issue?

OK, I think I found the referenced video. The "problem" is this:

1. Pull back the trigger WITHOUT contacting the trigger safety tab, so that it engages as designed.

2. WITHOUT RELEASING THE REARWARD PRESSURE ON THE TRIGGER, attempt to pull the trigger, in other words, "defeat" the trigger tab.

So, the video complains that the trigger tab works as intended. And you can't defeat it. This is a "problem" for the guy making the video. Of course, a follow up video show how you can modify the trigger safety tab so you CAN engage it, then overcome it while it's still engaged. This is described as a "fix."

At this point, I'm perfectly content with the trigger safety on my sample of one working as intended, and as I want it to work. I have found no way to place my finger on the trigger that, if the safety engages and stops rearward movement, release of pressure and engaging the trigger safety tab as intended doesn't make the trigger work.

Maybe Springfield ought to think back to grip zone, and create a trigger zone for the Hellcat. Robbie could demo it in a sequel to his grip zone video.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Huh. Just tried this repeatedly with snap caps and can't replicate. Any link to the video?
    I don't know if it's been posted anywhere public, so not from me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Has Springfield been informed of the issue?
    My understanding is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    OK, I think I found the referenced video. The "problem" is this:

1. Pull back the trigger WITHOUT contacting the trigger safety tab, so that it engages as designed.

2. WITHOUT RELEASING THE REARWARD PRESSURE ON THE TRIGGER, attempt to pull the trigger, in other words, "defeat" the trigger tab.

So, the video complains that the trigger tab works as intended. And you can't defeat it. This is a "problem" for the guy making the video. Of course, a follow up video show how you can modify the trigger safety tab so you CAN engage it, then overcome it while it's still engaged. This is described as a "fix."

At this point, I'm perfectly content with the trigger safety on my sample of one working as intended, and as I want it to work. I have found no way to place my finger on the trigger that, if the safety engages and stops rearward movement, release of pressure and engaging the trigger safety tab as intended doesn't make the trigger work.
    There is no followup video, the video I'm seeing is our range armorer demonstrating it, and there is no approved "fix" at this point which is why it's banned for us. Once it's locked it stays locked. He takes his finger completely out of the trigger guard and tries again and it won't move. I have no idea how wide spread it is. If anybody here's given example works as intended, great. Figured it'd be worth posting for those who want to check their example.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 07-17-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

A Springfield product not working?

Im shocked... Just shocked lol

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We recently received an email that the Hellcat is no longer approved for carry on or off duty based on a malfunction that causes the trigger to lock into place. A video demonstrates the issue, so if anyone wishes to attempt to replicate it, the steps appear to be:

1: Partially press the trigger, enough to activate the safety tab, then release. (Ie, started to shoot, situation changed, and did not need to shoot)

2: Then attempt to press the trigger as normal (Ie, situation changed again and now you need to shoot) and the trigger will not move.
    This is somewhat reminiscent of the XD's early issues with the grip safety locking up the gun.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There is no followup video, the video I'm seeing is our range armorer demonstrating it, and there is no approved "fix" at this point which is why it's banned for us. Once it's locked it stays locked. He takes his finger completely out of the trigger guard and tries again and it won't move. I have no idea how wide spread it is. If anybody here's given example works as intended, great. Figured it'd be worth posting for those who want to check their example.
    Did this happen to one pistol or several? I don't own one, just curious.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List