Page 73 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2 July 2020 SIG P320 Lawsuit and P320 Concerns

The more I think about it, the more this pisses me off:
    Name:  IMG_1404.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  53.6 KB

Whoever did this is a fool.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The more I think about it, the more this pisses me off:
    Name:  IMG_1404.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  53.6 KB

Whoever did this is a fool.
    Yup. A statement of "We are aware of the incident and are investigating" would have been much better than what they put out. They set themselves up for fall.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Yup. A statement of "We are aware of the incident and are investigating" would have been much better than what they put out. They set themselves up for fall.
    When I’ve seen that sort of response up close, it’s almost always a desperate attempt at ass-covering. I have to wonder if there will be a whistle blower at some point…
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

In that Montville publicly threw Sig under the bus, and already has bought Glock pistols, my guess is that Sig decided to go scorched earth, reasoning their own reputation was way more important than their now non relationship with Montville PD. Someone is about to look very bad here, and Sig better not be bluffing with what they know.

I wouldn't bet money either way, but if I had to bet, I like Sig's hand over Montville's on the cause of this discharge.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Small town pd…. Small town problems. Plus politics.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Did this happen when you were shooting the gun or after you released a mag with rounds in it onto the ground?

I experienced a similar thing with S&W M&P9 magazines. It seemed to happen with older mags that may have been dropped from the gun with rounds in them. I can't explain the physics of it. It would happen with mags that were not fully loaded. I believe that the force of the fall causes the rounds in the magazine to keep going after the mag hits the ground and one of the rounds gets displaced after two rounds lodge together. In the M&P magazine's case, I would typically see two rounds lodged together somewhere in the magazine. I think I had it happen with four different M&P9 magazines over the course of about 4000ish rounds. I used newer M&P followers and even a different magazine spring that had more resistance and only allowed me to load 16 rounds into the magazine rather than the magazines 17 round capacity. I have seen it happen with M&P45 magazines where a partially loaded magazine is dropped from the gun on a hard surface and it screws up the magazine. I am including a picture of a screwed up M&P45 mag after being dropped from the gun on a hard surface with rounds in it.

Here are some pictures of the malfunction as it appeared in the M&P9 magazines-First from the top, then from the bottom, then from the side.

Name:  badmag1 - Copy.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  badmag2 - Copy.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  bagmag3 - Copy.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  30.3 KB

Here is a picture of an M&P45 mag that was dropped from the gun with rounds in it during a course of fire in a class that required you shoot on the move shooting 2 rounds dropping a magazine, load another magazine, then shoot 2 rounds.

Name:  M&P Mag 45 - Copy.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  73.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Millbarge View Post
    That’s 100% the case.
    Thank you for your insights and posting about this.

Do you know if the gun was fully seated in the holster, or if a WML was involved?

At this point, if I were forced to carry a Sig made weapon, I think the only one I would really trust would be the SP2022. Even then, I’m not sure.

Yes most people (overwhelming majority) will be just fine with their Sig, but there are just too many decent options out there to settle for their products.

Can anybody come up with any hypothetical scenario where a spontaneous discharge of a Sig 320 CAN happen? Let's assume broken/out of spec springs, parts; anything imaginable and unimaginable. I understand people do not like the corporate culture at SIG (Neither do I). But still, we have to be rational. I am sure there are some highly experienced engineers on this forum. Over the years, I have seen many issues (NDs, detonations, and so on) with a lot of different guns. There was always some rational explanation. Except this time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Can anybody come up with any hypothetical scenario where a spontaneous discharge of an Sig 320 CAN happen? Let's assume broken/out of spec springs, parts; anything imaginable and unimaginable. I understand people do not like the corporate culture at SIG (Neither do I). But still, we have to be rational. I am sure there are some highly experienced engineers on this forum. Over the years, I have seen many issues (NDs, detonations, and so on) with a lot of different guns. There was always some rational explanation. Except this time.
    Not even the original 320 had “spontaneous” fire issues. It was not fully drop / impact safe but it still required some type of precipitating event.

As mentioned up thread the 320 has been through multiple changes.

There are at least four variations:
    -original 320
    -original 320 with VUP modifications
    -post VUP through June 2019
    - current production (June 2019 and later)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thank you for your insights and posting about this.

Do you know if the gun was fully seated in the holster, or if a WML was involved?

At this point, if I were forced to carry a Sig made weapon, I think the only one I would really trust would be the SP2022. Even then, I’m not sure.

Yes most people (overwhelming majority) will be just fine with their Sig, but there are just too many decent options out there to settle for their products.
    Fully seated. TLR-1 was attached to the oistol. Safariland 73 series holster, SLS bale.

User Tag List