Page 54 of 122 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2 July 2020 SIG P320 Lawsuit and P320 Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    JCS, what we found was that while SIG was pretty tight-lipped as to specifically when in 2019 the desired mods were incorporated, we had one p-f member participating on this thread who was able to verify with SIG that the mods were in place on his P320, which a late May 2019 production date, so we've stated that P320s made June 1st 2019 and later should be good to go. While earlier 2019 produced P320s may be good to go, this is the only good date verification that we can cite. I'll suggest that owners/users of P320s manufactured earlier in 2019 (i.e., from 1 Jan to 31 May) call SIG specifically (or coordinate with their SIG LEO rep) to verify.

Fortunately, P320 manufacture dates are conveniently on the sticker SIG places at the end of the P320 cases.

Best, Jon
    Is the main difference in the 2019 internal change with the sear adding the little nubs for the spring? Or did they change the geometry of the sear also?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Is the main difference in the 2019 internal change with the sear adding the little nubs for the spring? Or did they change the geometry of the sear also?
    They also deleted the striker safety lever spring which was jamming, IIRC.

JCS and Noah, those are the 2 changes that I'm aware of; Lwt16 and HCM are certified SIG P320 armorers and major participants on this discussion, and hopefully will chime in if there's anything else of significance, or if there are any other running changes that SIG has performed.

Best, Jon

Does the striker return spring influence the safety of the gun?

I recently discovered mine was not working anymore on my competition gun. It caused the striker to stick out the breechface after pulling the trigger.

Name:  49232D7A-0194-48FF-8CD7-89C35B95B83E.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  93.7 KB

It’s a tiny spring and I can’t imagine it has much life in it. From what I can discern about the operation it doesn’t impact the safety or function of the gun when it breaks.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Site Supporter
    Does the striker return spring influence the safety of the gun?

I recently discovered mine was not working anymore on my competition gun. It caused the striker to stick out the breechface after pulling the trigger.

Name:  49232D7A-0194-48FF-8CD7-89C35B95B83E.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  93.7 KB

It’s a tiny spring and I can’t imagine it has much life in it. From what I can discern about the operation it doesn’t impact the safety or function of the gun when it breaks.

Any thoughts from anyone?
    As you noted, failure of the striker return spring can allow the striker to get stuck forward in a dirty gun, causing a slam fire when a round is chambered.

However it would not cause the “uncommanded” “go off in the holster” issues.

The striker safety / block lever spring which SIG stopped installing in 2019 could do so by causing the striker safety /block lever to get stuck in the “fire” position I.e. not blocking the striker and leaving the striker retained only by the sear engagement.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened to the guy with the youtube video. He racked in the next round. The protruding striker probably crumpled the primer just enough not to set it off. Then, he holstered the gun, and as he started moving, a tiniest movement caused ignition (although, see the postscriptum).

He was unlucky in that normally a stuck striker would cause a slam fire when the gun points downrange, but his was stuck just right.

Good for you to check for protrusion.

P.S. I should note that on something like a Glock or PPQ the sear catches the striker and forcefully withdraws it as the slide goes into battery. This happens even if trigger is held down. The safety plunger is only for a mechanical failure. Conversely, if safety fails, there should be no shot fired.
    Last edited by zaitcev; 10-29-2022 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As you noted, failure of the striker return spring can allow the striker to get stuck forward in a dirty gun, causing a slam fire when a round is chambered.

However it would not cause the “uncommanded” “go off in the holster” issues.

The striker safety / block lever spring which SIG stopped installing in 2019 could do so by causing the striker safety /block lever to get stuck in the “fire” position I.e. not blocking the striker and leaving the striker retained only by the sear engagement.
    Thank you that is good to know. I feel better about the platform after learning how the current striker safety tab works.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened to the guy with the youtube video. He racked in the next round. The protruding striker probably crumpled the primer just enough not to set it off. Then, he holstered the gun, and as he started moving, a tiniest movement caused ignition (although, see the postscriptum).

He was unlucky in that normally a stuck striker would cause a slam fire when the gun points downrange, but his was stuck just right.

Good for you to check for protrusion.

P.S. I should note that on something like a Glock or PPQ the sear catches the striker and forcefully withdraws it as the slide goes into battery. This happens even if trigger is held down. The safety plunger is only for a mechanical failure. Conversely, if safety fails, there should be no shot fired.
    I don’t know about the pre-2019 pistols but on my current one with the issue the striker could easily be pushed back in. I wouldn’t think it can set off a primer.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/re....60338.1.0.pdf

Name:  994A2A9A-245B-49DE-B2CF-EFC05E3F3B7B.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  60.1 KB

Wasn’t sure if this had come up lately, since it appears to be filed in last few days?

User Tag List