Page 51 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2 July 2020 SIG P320 Lawsuit and P320 Concerns

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    This forum has always been realistic about firearms because it was founded by somebody who worked in the industry and the formative early members were all people who shoot.

If you spend enough time on the range, you see weird things happen. As you get more time on the gun and more experience watching others you learn how big a thing human error is. In almost every endeavor where life is on the line one of the biggest focuses of that endeavor is reduction of human error.

It just so happens that every time we handle one of these pieces of machinery, human life is on the line.

When you spend enough time with these lethal weapons you start to realize that the supposed statistically unlikely becomes almost an inevitability just due to repetitions and exposure. That has a way of sobering your outlook.

When there was a transition to Glock pistols there were legions of negligent discharges. The heavy DA trigger pull and ability to block the hammer of a revolver gave a wider margin for error resulting in handling mistakes that did not produce a gunshot as a consequence. When the Glock showed up in holsters that margin for error was narrowed to a razor's edge. Now you have a weapon that has a shorter, lighter (albeit uglier) trigger press AND you have to press the trigger to take the thing apart.

The requirement to press the trigger to disassemble a Glock is a catastrophically stupid engineering decision if you have any awareness whatsoever of how human critters interact with machinery and some modicum of concern for human life. Just a few weeks ago a friend of mine worked a call where he arrived to find that someone who had a target from his last training course with a local training company hanging in the kitchen had decided that he would disassemble his Glock by pressing the muzzle into his palm. Contact distance wound with a 9mm that somehow managed to miss all the bones and the bullet just barely managed to miss his friend after it ripped through his hand.

The truth about Glocks is that they are essentially the razor's edge in terms of living with a handgun day to day. If you do something stupid with a Glock, there's really no margin of error built into them. A mistake is highly likely to result in a loud noise and a hole in something. All the fanboy allegiance and perfection marketing bullshit never took hold here because most of us aren't fucking retarded. As a result, we could actually discuss the reality of what the Glock and Glock-like handguns are.

Even with all of that said, Glocks do not shoot themselves. They practically invite handling mistakes, but if you don't screw around with good-idea-fairy internal parts and don't press the trigger in some form or fashion, a Glock isn't going to discharge. That level of risk is one we can live with. Most of us can live with the idea that if we make a mistake there can be serious consequences.

The P320 and its variants going bang in the holster with nobody touching the gun is an entirely different level of risk.

Yet because of reasons I'm still not fully sure of, the P320 has been cut a hell of a lot of slack. When the dropsafe issues first manifested various luminaries insisted it wasn't really a problem...at least until evidence showed that a P320 inside a holster inside a bag that got dropped could discharge and cause life-altering injury. That same phenomenon has happened multiple times. Suddenly the "impossible!" statements by luminaries got awful quiet.

And here we've got yet another person who has a P320 that discharged in the holster. No drop this time. No booger hook. Just using the pistol as it is meant to be used and boom. He's saved from a racing stripe by the knife he carries in his pocket.

Give me a choice between a pistol that requires me to press the trigger to take it apart or a gun where it might just discharge itself inside the holster and that's the easiest choice I'm ever going to make. I can accept even a high level of risk if I make a mistake. I cannot stomach the idea of a pistol that can just discharge itself for reasons unknown when it's in the holster.

Fuck that.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    At this point I'd say if you have to use a P320 variant, don't carry it AIWB.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I'm grateful for it and thankful that we haven't had a bombshell on the 365 yet because it's my only SIG currently.
    Part of me wonders if the reason Sig has been quietly releasing these steadily larger versions of the 365 isn't because they realize the 320 is a nightmare.

Before long, I expect the release of a "P365 UltraMacroXL competition model" that will just be a p320 but with a better fire control unit.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It just so happens that every time we handle one of these pieces of machinery, human life is on the line.

When you spend enough time with these lethal weapons you start to realize that the supposed statistically unlikely becomes almost an inevitability just due to repetitions and exposure. That has a way of sobering your outlook.
    Pre-freakin'-cisely.

A (now former) LGS owner who had been in the game a very long time once said to me after discussing a mutual acquaintance's ND, "Play with these things long enough, and you'll get bitten." I took it to heart and changed a few of my ways.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Part of me wonders if the reason Sig has been quietly releasing these steadily larger versions of the 365 isn't because they realize the 320 is a nightmare.

Before long, I expect the release of a "P365 UltraMacroXL competition model" that will just be a p320 but with a better fire control unit.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    They’re stuck with the P320 because of the military and DHS contracts. Even if they wanted to replace it completely with the P365, they couldn’t.

I’m curious if this was a pre-summer 2019 manufactured P320. I haven’t heard of anything like this happening with the military or DHS pistols. @HCM, have you heard of anything like this happening outside of the commercial market guns (besides that agent who sued Sig even though people clearly saw they had a finger on the trigger when the gun went off)?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

In the Vid he says the pistol was a Sig P320X5 in 10 ? 10 what ? Yet he said his knife stopped/ deflected the 9mm bullet. The date of the pistol’s manufacture was 2019 and he hasn’t had it that long? With all the P320’s that are out there, if there was a design flaw, out of spec, material or assembly issues, you would think you would be seeing a lot more of, it just went off on me incidents. I really hope they get to the bottom of this once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    In the Vid he says the pistol was a Sig P320X5 in 10 ? 10 what ? Yet he said his knife stopped/ deflected the 9mm bullet. The date of the pistol’s manufacture was 2019 and he hasn’t had it that long? With all the P320’s that are out there, if there was a design flaw, out of spec, material or assembly issues, you would think you would be seeing a lot more of, it just went off on me incidents. I really hope they get to the bottom of this once and for all.
    I thought he said "ten" at first, too, but he said "tan".

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I think this is the crux of the current issue. It's glaringly obvious that there WAS a problem with the 320 design. Looking at the original FCU and striker construction, it's amazing that anybody thought some of those design ideas were good. The question still remains if there is a problem with Post-June 2019 guns. I know several folks have reported on alleged incidents, and Sigs explanations for some of those have been less than satisfactory. But I've yet to see an explanation of the supposed mechanism of failure in those instances. I've seen some interesting theories as to the why, but no definitive identified specific failure point with the newer manufactured guns. Doesn't mean there isn't an issue.....just odd if no one can point to the specific problem. If it is a manufacturing tolerances issue....thats gonna make identifying it even harder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I think this is the crux of the current issue. It's glaringly obvious that there WAS a problem with the 320 design. Looking at the original FCU and striker construction, it's amazing that anybody thought some of those design ideas were good. The question still remains if there is a problem with Post-June 2019 guns. I know several folks have reported on alleged incidents, and Sigs explanations for some of those have been less than satisfactory. But I've yet to see an explanation of the supposed mechanism of failure in those instances. I've seen some interesting theories as to the why, but no definitive identified specific failure point with the newer manufactured guns. Doesn't mean there isn't an issue.....just odd if no one can point to the specific problem. If it is a manufacturing tolerances issue....thats gonna make identifying it even harder.

Early in this thread there was a documented example of improperly assembled (at the factory) sear springs and mixed generations of sear spring components causing what I'll call a "mechanical discharge".

I thought the post 2019 issues were mostly foreign object vs no trigger safety single action striker problems. But this looks more like a very scary "mechanical discharge"

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Early in this thread there was a documented example of improperly assembled (at the factory) sear springs and mixed generations of sear spring components causing what I'll call a "mechanical discharge".

I thought the post 2019 issues were mostly foreign object vs no trigger safety single action striker problems. But this looks more like a very scary "mechanical discharge"
    There is a difference between a design flaw and gross production errors in terms of how you address the problem. I'd prefer the term "Mechanical Failure Discharge" because that highlights the fact that SOMETHING failed. It wasn't supposed to happen. The question is was that the result of really poor QC in the production of that pistol, or an inherent flaw in the design that will lead to further such incidents in the future. I know from some people's standpoint that's a "Who Cares?!?" question, but from the standpoint of all of the institutional users and consumers it's a big question.

And the pistol in the video is a 2019 manufactured gun. It may be relevant whether or not it was a Pre or Post June 2019 gun.

User Tag List