Page 49 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2 July 2020 SIG P320 Lawsuit and P320 Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    Here is a YouTube video of someone giving their account of their 320 going off in holster at a steel challenge. He is pretty clear, concise, and detailed in how it happened and discussing his gear.

https://youtu.be/FBjo62vSYZk
    Someone in the comments said it would have been nice if he sent the pistol to a third party to diagnose what allows this to happen. SIG, obviously, will not likely do anything about it other than replace it and doesn't seem to have much to gain by investigating their own products faults by their own history with 320 dropgate. Another issue discovered would likely be a serious blow.

Sig said it was a defective Firing Pin Return Spring? I wonder if that is the striker spring, striker reset spring, or striker safety spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Sig said it was a defective Firing Pin Return Spring? I wonder if that is the striker spring, striker reset spring, or striker safety spring.
    Should there not be some sort of redundancy in there that prevents discharge should this spring failure? I mean it is to be expected that parts fail, it is not acceptable that parts failure equals unintended discharge.

If there is not, then is is beyond obvious that SIG prioritized trigger feel over safety. Safety 1st - NOT!
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 10-18-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Site Supporter
    Here is a YouTube video of someone giving their account of their 320 going off in holster at a steel challenge. He is pretty clear, concise, and detailed in how it happened and discussing his gear.

That is nuts. Hard to attribute this one to user error, given the witnesses, the actions of the shooter, and photos to document. Sounds like Sig even acknowledged it.

Site Supporter
    And despite this growing set of evidence of inherent issues in the 320, we have military/LE units all over the place glomming onto it as their Next Pistol Platform.

What an epic cluster flop. They'd be better off sticking with an M9, or converting to Glock. Or even M&P for that matter.

Very strange. Sig's explanation was a bad striker return spring. However, that doesn't make sense to me. I think the striker return spring being bad might lead to the striker getting stuck forward and the gun slam firing, but not a delayed firing like he saw. Unless I'm really missing something about how the gun works, that explanation sounds odd at best...

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Should there not be some sort of redundancy in there that prevents discharge should this spring failure? I mean it is to be expected that parts fail, it is not acceptable that parts failure equals unintended discharge.

If there is not, then is is beyond obvious that SIG prioritized trigger feel over safety. Safety 1st - NOT!
    And the end result is that the glock gen5 trigger feels better anyway.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Would really like to know the actual manufacture date (was it pre-June 2019?), and I'd love to see that actual email from Sig with their explanation. I'd have also preferred the gun be examined by a 3rd party certified armorer/gunsmith and the examination documented, but thats not really a private citizen/consumers job. Whenever we had documented issues with any equipment, we actually investigated and documented the problem before contacting the manufacturer.....because frankly none of them were 100% trustworthy. No...I don't 'trust' SIG. But I don't trust any gun manufacturer completely. They have all lied in the past, and likely will again in the future. The explanation from SIG for this incident, though, if accurately reported, is total bullshit. It's the throw away explanation given to non armorer certified layman consumers, and would have resulted in multiple followup questions from most professional organizations.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Very strange. Sig's explanation was a bad striker return spring. However, that doesn't make sense to me. I think the striker return spring being bad might lead to the striker getting stuck forward and the gun slam firing, but not a delayed firing like he saw. Unless I'm really missing something about how the gun works, that explanation sounds odd at best...
    I've encountered multiple instances of striker fired guns going bang on a delay after a trigger was pressed. Usually it was much closer in time to when the trigger was actually pressed. You would press the trigger, get nothing, it's stuck to the rear and as you brought the gun down out of the eyeline to start a tap rack procedure, BANG. And then you'd be standing there wondering WTF just happened. (I can assure you that it takes a good while for your brain to catch up to what is happening)

So I've seen situations where pressure on the trigger has resulted in a shot going downrange after the finger was taken off the trigger, but I've never seen a delay long enough to get a gun back into the holster and then go to a surrender position before.

On the couple of guns I've seen this on there was a binding up of the working parts happening that you could sometimes feel. I've seen plenty of "sticky" striker blocks out there in the world lately, and I can see how a striker block could get stuck in the up position and how something like the striker spring hanging up could produce this sort of result.

But when I've seen that it's usually the result of a bunch of aftermarket parts in the gun not playing well together. A gun doing that straight from the factory is scary as hell.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I've encountered multiple instances of striker fired guns going bang on a delay after a trigger was pressed. Usually it was much closer in time to when the trigger was actually pressed. You would press the trigger, get nothing, it's stuck to the rear and as you brought the gun down out of the eyeline to start a tap rack procedure, BANG. And then you'd be standing there wondering WTF just happened. (I can assure you that it takes a good while for your brain to catch up to what is happening)
    I think it was without a trigger press in this instance, as it was after he shot a string and reloaded the gun for the next string. Here's the video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjo62vSYZk

User Tag List