Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a good second pistol

Recommend me a good second pistol

New here

Picked up my first handgun about a month ago - Walther PDP Pro SD Compact, 4in

I'm hooked, and am beginning to research my 2nd handgun purchase. My permit to purchase is in progress, and hopefully it won't take too long while I decide what to buy and also hopefully find it on sale. I don't have my CCW, but am open to all (full size, compact) guns. I'm mag capped, so ideally something that comes stock with 10rd mags so I don't need to pay for pinning.

Considering P365 XMacro, a CZ (P10C? 75?), maybe even a 40 or a 45? I'm all over the place. I'd definitely put a RDS so it must have that option. Picatinny rail would be very nice too, don't like proprietary stuff.

Sorry if i'm all over the place, its because I don't even know where to start, and since permits are hard to come by, I'll probably be going down this rabbit hole for the next 3 months until my (pending) permit expires.
    New to guns, just got FID, be nice pls.

WALTHER PDP PRO SD – COMPACT 4” 10Rd (Mag cap State)

Site Supporter
    Firstly, welcome, and you are definitely starting in the right place by being here. The ratio of real, experienced backed information to repeated internet buzzwords is higher here than anywhere else Ive seen. Some very valuable data from first person sources.

To the question, my knee jerk reaction is, if you’re hell-bent on buying a new gun (nothing wrong with that) - you can’t go wrong with the Sig P365 Macro. I like the Tacops specifically, for the extra magazines. As you learn what you’re needing, you can grow/shrink the 365 into whatever you need from it. Also, should you decide you really need something else, it will be easy to unload for more of the purchase price than other models. It’s a very popular gun, so accessories can be easily sourced. While magazines are more expensive than they should be, Im finding them pretty cheap on the used market where they come up pretty often.

Additionally, you can never go wrong with a Glock 17/19/45, etc, for the same reasons. I recommend the Sig over the Glock due to the modular fire control unit (fcu) and inexpensive grip modules. The PDP you have is basically the G19.

Another thought would be to get a 5inch version of the gun you have now.

My fully thought out answer would be that what you have now is good enough and you should keep reading here while shooting the absolute piss out of the gun. Spending the money on ammunition and training will give you the experience to better shop for what you actually need. In other words wait for the need to arise.

ETA: I wrote the above without knowing anything re ban state magazines and assuming you can sell standard cap magazines to free states and allocate that money for 10s. Im probably way off.
    Last edited by TOTS; 03-10-2024 at 09:07 AM.

What are your goals? Personal defense/concealed carry? Competition? Go to the gun range, however many times a year, and blast off a box or two of ammo? other?

Once you acquire the second gun, what's your budget for ammo/training/range fees/etc? Is this a $100/year venture or a $10,000/year venture or somewhere in between?

Do you have a hard-on for any guns in particular? Beretta 92's because 80's action flicks? 1911's because "Two World Wars"? XXX gun because that's what your favorite social media influencer is pumping?

Cheers,
    D
    David S.

Macro or identical 2nd copy of first gun

Very few things put people on a path of not getting good at shooting worse than accumulation different handgun models early in their ownership. There are exceptions to that statement, of course, but usually that is the case. I would recommend sticking with one gun for a year of dedicated learning before making your next move. I wouldn't suggest 40 or 45 to a new shooter.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I think this thread by Lost River provides some useful guideposts for purchasing.

I think you need to identify your goals. You mention being in a mag cap state which begs the question of whether CCW is a realistic option (or desire) for you - there is a strong overlap between ban states and states who “comply” with the Bruen decision in much the same way the South “complied” with Brown v. Board of Education. If it is, I think the P365 series is the way to go, though for carry I feel the 365XL with a Wilson grip module may be a more versatile choice for you than a Macro, particularly given your mag limitations.

For what it’s worth, my 5 gun do-it-all battery as somebody who doesn’t do a whole lot of outdoors stuff with a pistol would include, in order of priority:

- Service-size 9mm (your Walther is basically this)
    - Compact carry pistol (the 365XL and the Glock 43X/48 are good examples here)
    - Rimfire pistol/revolver (Ruger Mk. IV would be a good choice)
    - Micro-compact semi-auto or J Frame revolver
    - Nostalgia piece (1911, classic revolver, Beretta 92, etc.)

I'd get a 22LR. Walther makes several models.

Site Supporter
    Identical copy of first gun.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Very few things put people on a path of not getting good at shooting worse than accumulation different handgun models early in their ownership. There are exceptions to that statement, of course, but usually that is the case. I would recommend sticking with one gun for a year of dedicated learning before making your next move. I wouldn't suggest 40 or 45 to a new shooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Identical copy of first gun.

I will echo these as well. This may not be the most exciting or flashy decision but it is wise.

What are you trying to accomplish with getting another gun?

Stick with your gun and down the road if you get another make one your primary gun and the next one use for dryfire/training. You’re in a place that restricts you so it would make sense even more so to stick with the same type of gun that you currently have.

You will probably get all sorts of recommendations of different guns(mostly what people prefer or like at the moment). If you want to develop proficiency then stick with what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Macro or identical 2nd copy of first gun
    100%! Two is One & One is None!

There are countless benefits to having a backup copy of your primary.

User Tag List