Page 22 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2 July 2020 SIG P320 Lawsuit and P320 Concerns

The sear on the upgraded P320 has a second notch to catch the striker arm if it comes off the first notch. Do holster AD's include firearms with the voluntary upgrade?

Yes, hence the continued concern (and the major reason for this discussion thread). That's one of the things discussed in detail in the suit, which is why it's well worth a thorough read. Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Thank you 98z28 and HCM. I have two 320 pistols and am debating keeping them. I love the trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    Thank you 98z28 and HCM. I have two 320 pistols and am debating keeping them. I love the trigger pull.
    I considered buying one recently - but I have passed because of this issue

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Again, I'm no engineer, so I might be wrong as well, but my takeaway from reading Tom-Jone's, lwt16's, and JonInWA's comments in this and the other threads over the last couple of years is that the internal safeties can be defeated with inertia on the 320. The trigger moving in the videos is in some ways an artifact of the safeties being defeated.

I was/am confused about this as well. Confused enough that I pulled some bullets and started dropping my TDA guns in single action with primed cases in the chamber to see if inertia could pull the trigger and defeat the internal safeties on those guns as well. The triggers are heavier and the force/distance needed release the sear is less on those guns than on the 320. If the hammer fell, it always fell to half-cock. The primer never detonated like we've seen with the 320. I think something else was/is going on with the 320.
    I and I am sure others appreciate you sharing the results of dropping TDA guns in single action mode. I have wondered about this myself. Causes me to appreciate the HK USP models with hammer spurs made out of rubber to prevent the hammer falling if dropped in single action mode.

This doesn't add any technical information but in case it is of interest, a small local department (a little over 200 sworn personnel) that had permitted the P320 just pulled the gun from the approved list and the P320 may no longer be carried on or off duty effective November 1, which is a rather short time frame compared to how these things usually work. No details provided in the internal memo and the only information I am aware of is in the form of rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    Causes me to appreciate the HK USP models with hammer spurs made out of rubber to prevent the hammer falling if dropped in single action mode.
    Is the rubber there to help prevent accidental discharge or to protect the hammer itself from being damaged?

One may complement the other...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is the rubber there to help prevent accidental discharge or to protect the hammer itself from being damaged?

One may complement the other...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    It was years ago when I read about it. I do remember that the purpose of the rubber was to prevent the hammer from being knocked out if position; the purpose was to keep the gun from breaking due to a drop when in the cocked position. The spring pressure is there when in the cocked position and therefore the hammer could “spring” forward and fire the gun. You said it better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post

Attachment 58007

This is the spring that Sig no longer installs in recent builds. I feel certain that I now know why.

This little spring, which is the spring that retracts the lever that lifts the striker block, was a little hosed up. My thoughts are that the striker block lever was "stuck" in the upward position, with a striker foot not held by proper dual spring tension, and when our guy holstered, when his pistol clicked down and seated, the striker slipped from the sear and fell forward....discharging the HST round.

I have taken several apart from that same general time of year this one was build. They all have the newer style sear with spring posts instead of the dimples.

I'm 90 percent sure this discharge wasn't his fault. We assumed garment on the trigger but now I'm leaning towards the gun. I plan on sending Sig a certified letter this week as I need a replacement sear for this gun as well as any others I come across that have the similar, older style sear.

We have pulled them from duty and most have qualified on other pistols. We will see where it goes. I'd like confirmation from Sig that the fix is to simply remove that striker block lever spring from each copy and to ensure they have the most updated sear. If that's the fix to make them safe, I can do that for nothing for most of the guns we have.

I also appreciate this thread and they way everyone conducted themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Found the page for you, Note Spring, Safety Lever. This is the page with the new parts for the VUP. I received an armorer update package in 2019.

TXPO
    Sorry if this seems like a possibly ignorant question, but as I understand it that spring was what kept the lever in the down position and now only gravity keeps it down. So would holding the pistol upside-down and it hitting something (dropped, struck on something or by something) possibly cause a discharge in a similar manner as to what happened with the lever getting stuck in the up position with LWT's guy?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post
    I just want to thank everyone for this thread. I had tried to put my 320's away and move full time to my SP 2022, but I shoot them so much better that the transition never completely took. (The SP2022 is a great pistol, by the way, and I am so glad to be spending the time on it, because it is making this noob a much better shooter!!).
    Is the SP harder to shoot because of the DA to SA transition? If so, just carry it with the hammer cocked. Of course i jest, but seriously a P320, even a working model, is no safer that carrying a 92, 226, 2022 with the hammer cocked. (I need to do a change my mind meme with this )

User Tag List