Page 13 of 122 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2 July 2020 SIG P320 Lawsuit and P320 Concerns

Thanks guys.

I wish we could ask someone with a good understanding of this variant if the manual safety removes any and all concern of an unattended discharge. Other than one due to a malfunctioning manual safety itself of course. It is after all a collection of mechanical components. Albeit a very clever collection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by all42a View Post
    Thanks guys.

I wish we could ask someone with a good understanding of this variant if the manual safety removes any and all concern of an unattended discharge. Other than one due to a malfunctioning manual safety itself of course. It is after all a collection of mechanical components. Albeit a very clever collection.
    The answer to your question is in this thread (and other prior threads on this topic here).

TLDR - The manual safety only locks the trigger bar, not the striker so the manual safety alone will not address the concerns about mechanical / accidental discharges.

In reading the older P320 threads I would pay particular attention to member Tom Jones' comments.

Thank you! Do you happen to know Tom Jones' username? I cannot find a tom jones or tomjones

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by all42a View Post
    Thank you! Do you happen to know Tom Jones' username? I cannot find a tom jones or tomjones
    Tom Jones's profile

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    Thank you, and same to the others that have replied to my questions. I've gone back and reread this entire thread and now have a better understanding regarding my question concerning the manual safety; specifically that not enough is known about it by those here to say whether or not it could stop an errant sear/striker disconnnect and subsequent striker forward movement from happening if the safety was engaged and working properly. I am still hoping to find/learn that information, and if I do so from a source other than this forum I will report back with what I find.

P320

I was an early adopter of the P320 the first gun went back to sig twice kept not hitting primer. I think it was a lighter slide with increased sculpting. I said then this is ridiculous how complex they made this pistol. Overengineered and complex to say the least. I said this in the beginning to many little parts.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I was able to obtain our pistol that was related to our ND/AD and I took it down to the individual parts......which I had never done and this pistol was factory fresh with a build date of 10/2017. I entered the s/n into Sig's website "upgrade" checker and it came up good to go per Sig.

However.......

Attachment 58004

Dual sear springs were crossed and not putting correct pressure up on the foot of the striker

Attachment 58005

For lack of a better term, apparently this is an older style sear that lacks the nipples or posts that the springs slip over to keep them aligned.

Attachment 58006

It has dimples instead....and apparently, whoever assembled this thing in 10/17 did so in a hurry.

Attachment 58007

This is the spring that Sig no longer installs in recent builds. I feel certain that I now know why.

This little spring, which is the spring that retracts the lever that lifts the striker block, was a little hosed up. My thoughts are that the striker block lever was "stuck" in the upward position, with a striker foot not held by proper dual spring tension, and when our guy holstered, when his pistol clicked down and seated, the striker slipped from the sear and fell forward....discharging the HST round.

I have taken several apart from that same general time of year this one was build. They all have the newer style sear with spring posts instead of the dimples.

I'm 90 percent sure this discharge wasn't his fault. We assumed garment on the trigger but now I'm leaning towards the gun. I plan on sending Sig a certified letter this week as I need a replacement sear for this gun as well as any others I come across that have the similar, older style sear.

We have pulled them from duty and most have qualified on other pistols. We will see where it goes. I'd like confirmation from Sig that the fix is to simply remove that striker block lever spring from each copy and to ensure they have the most updated sear. If that's the fix to make them safe, I can do that for nothing for most of the guns we have.

I also appreciate this thread and they way everyone conducted themselves.

Hi Jon @JonInWA and Larry

today I sent an email to Siga sauer just to confirm the lack of the safety lever spring and the latest revision of the sear to be included in my guns that were built in 2019, so here´s the reply I got from Sig CS:

so both came set up with the upgraded components from the factory. Since we removed the safety lever spring with the upgrade parts revision, your pistols do not contain one. The latest Sear revision would also be included in both serial numbers you provided.

So is it fair to say the assumption in the OP is true? M17/18 and post 4/2018 320s are okay? Everything else suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    So is it fair to say the assumption in the OP is true? M17/18 and post 4/2018 320s are okay? Everything else suspect?
    I would say not. Hearing reports of at least one in-the-holster M17, so God only knows what's "OK" and what's not. There are simply SO MANY changes that have been made on a rolling production basis that it's damn near impossible to know what you're getting UNLESS you're getting a DHS contract pistol. Everything else is a crap shoot as to when it was made, what upgrades were done at the factory/post purchase, etc... And, honestly, we don't know if the current completely upgraded pistols are REALLY OK.

I love the way the P320 feels in my hand, and I pray that Sig gets it right for all our servicemembers and LE who are forced to carry it, but, in a world of Gen5 Glocks, CZ P10s, M&P 2.0s, APXs, VP9s and 1911s, I wouldn't put my money or my safety into one...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I would say not. Hearing reports of at least one in-the-holster M17, so God only knows what's "OK" and what's not. There are simply SO MANY changes that have been made on a rolling production basis that it's damn near impossible to know what you're getting UNLESS you're getting a DHS contract pistol. Everything else is a crap shoot as to when it was made, what upgrades were done at the factory/post purchase, etc... And, honestly, we don't know if the current completely upgraded pistols are REALLY OK.

I love the way the P320 feels in my hand, and I pray that Sig gets it right for all our servicemembers and LE who are forced to carry it, but, in a world of Gen5 Glocks, CZ P10s, M&P 2.0s, APXs, VP9s and 1911s, I wouldn't put my money or my safety into one...
    It also seems, as noted earlier in this thread, that it could also come down to how well the FCU was put together or put back together as well. There’s plenty of other great options out right now that I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze. I just hope SIG figures it out soon so this issue is a thing of the past and no one else gets hurt.

User Tag List