Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing different Gen mags in Glocks?

Mixing different Gen mags in Glocks?

Will a Glock Factory Gen 5 mag work in a Gen 3 17? Like, you'd stake your life on it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    Will a Glock Factory Gen 5 mag work in a Gen 3 17? Like, you'd stake your life on it?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Yes
    I’ll second that.

zero issues, they are mix and match
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Yes, but…

…things can wear out. I routinely use Glock mags that date back years, and bigger mags in the smaller Glocks. For example, a 17 mag in a 19.
    My check would be to see if the mag is in good shape-follower, springs, etc. Will it lock the slide open on empty? Does it fall free when the catch is operated correctly.
    But answering your specific question: yep, should be fine. Personally, I’d run a full mag of the carry load, and if everything works, move on with life.

Pretty obscure, but unless something has changed, a G5 17 mag will not work in a 19X unless you change the base plate to a pre G5 baseplate or dremel the lip on the 19X frame.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can confirm that the Gen 3 mags work in Gen 5 Glock 21s. Big bore tack driver and the mags have had ZERO issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Pretty obscure, but unless something has changed, a G5 17 mag will not work in a 19X unless you change the base plate to a pre G5 baseplate or dremel the lip on the 19X frame.

This and the fact that Gen 3 mags, and some early Gen 4 mags do not have the ambi/reversible magazine catch notch are the exceptions to the rule. Those early mags won't work in a lefty setup Gen4/5.

I have quite a few Gen 3/4 9mm mags, and they all work fine in my variety of Gen 5 guns. I am considering dumping all my early mags and using only Gen5 from here on out, just to cycle and refresh my entire mag stash. I may wait and see what insanity the election brings.

I do wish Glock would remove the grip dingus from the 19X... its about they only reason I haven't bought one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is it just the 19X or the G45 as well? My preferred pusher is under the impression the floor plate has to be changed or modified for G5 mags to be used in any earlier gen 17/19.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is it just the 19X or the G45 as well? My preferred pusher is under the impression the floor plate has to be changed or modified for G5 mags to be used in any earlier gen 17/19.
    It's specific to the 19X frame. It has a protrusion at the bottom of the frontstrap that will hit the extended beveled lip at the front of the Gen 5 mags. The 45 frame, and 17/34 frames don't have the protrusion.

Gen 5 floor plates DO NOT have to be changed to work in older guns. I have used standard Gen 5 G19 mags in my old Gen 3 19 without issue.

User Tag List