Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ol' Black Bear in the Road

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Maybe this isn't as obvious to everyone else, but every time I read one of these stories, there is never any mention of the maulee/victim losing control of their bodily functions....at least while they're still alive. So, asking for myself, does anyone know what a bear's reaction MIGHT be were the prey to "lose it?"
    My guess is that probably occasionally happens when they grab a deer, which isn't super often, but if it's wounded...The fact that bear seems to have no problem eating rotting fish and very ripe carrion makes me think it wouldn't be an effective deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    My guess is that probably occasionally happens when they grab a deer, which isn't super often, but if it's wounded...The fact that bear seems to have no problem eating rotting fish and very ripe carrion makes me think it wouldn't be an effective deterrent.
    Considering the fact that bear find raw sewage a pleasing snack...I fail to see how they’d view soiling ones self as anything other than you’d view a hot dog that applied it’s own ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Black bears are giant pussies until they kill you and eat your corpse. I have a difficult time taking black bears seriously as I've seen so many of them clumsily fleeing in panic. They're apparently a whole different animal when conducting a predatory attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, I read another piece about this right after it happened. The women declined a shotgun and training that the company offered them.

I was in AK shooting the USPSA championship that year, and there were at least two fatal black bear attacks. It seemed like everyone was carrying a gun.

My wife and I have been spending a lot of time hiking in bear country (AK, MO, WY, ID, CO), and it's interesting how many people we see carrying bear spray when it is way too windy to use it. We typically discuss our bear defense tactics before hitting the trail. If it's very windy, she won't bother deploying her spray.
    Everything I've heard said that black bears don't attack humans near as often as browns or grizzlies, but if they do attack, they are more inclined to finish the job.

They are now on my land in SE Oklahoma whereas they never used to be. A neighbor up the mountain from us has had a big male prove to be a quite mischievous bastard in tearing up a lot of his stuff around his cabin with some weird propensity towards game cams. He's taken out two or three of them. They are expanding much farther west than they've ever been in my lifetime and recently there was a news report on one on the outskirts of the very North Oklahoma City area which is right in the middle of the state, and a few years ago one in the town of Wayne which is a small sleepy town about 45 minutes almost due south of Oklahoma City. We now have a limited hunting season in certain southeastern parts of the state.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    ...with some weird propensity towards game cams. He's taken out two or three of them.
    I use game cams on public land for bear season scouting. I had a bear damage one camera a few years ago, but left it functional. Last year, a mamma bear and cubs visited my cameras. Mamma destroyed both. They were cheap cameras and I think the little red led for night shots set them off.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post

Actually, I wasn't thinking of the prey using it as a deterrent - I was just curious if any surviving humans "lost it." Hell, I can lose it just reading the stories!
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Considering the fact that bear find raw sewage a pleasing snack...I fail to see how they’d view soiling ones self as anything other than you’d view a hot dog that applied it’s own ketchup.

Dan, I "liked" your post - albeit with a very big asterisk. "Ketchup on a hot dog?"
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    This was a couple of days ago. Campus is much more inviting without those annoying students...

https://news.dartmouth.edu/news/2020...ternoon-campus

Attachment 57521
    No mask - no campus access.

Site Supporter
    The scariest black bear I ever saw was a cub in a tree while I was mountain biking.

GTFO with haste.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Everything I've heard said that black bears don't attack humans near as often as browns or grizzlies, but if they do attack, they are more inclined to finish the job.
    I recently attended an "educational encounter" with grizzly bears and the handler, who was in the enclosure with the bears and had trained bears for movies, etc. said the following that stuck out to me:

Brown bears attack to get rid of you. They are scared, territorial, whatever. Playing dead is a valid tactic against brown bears.

Black bears attack you to eat you. Playing dead just means they eat you.

And, confusingly, not all black bears are black and not all brown bears are brown. The easiest way to tell is if they have the hump of muscle/fat between their front shoulder blades they are a brown bear, regardless of coloring.

Understand that I am simply parroting what that guy said and claim no knowledge of my own.

Oh, and grizzly bears can peel an orange. Some can catch thrown cookies, others lack the coordination.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Hammertime
    If you are interested in the topic, I can't recommend this book enough
    Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance 3rd Edition

by Stephen Herrero

https://www.amazon.com/dp/149302941X...osi&th=1&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/149302941X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PFZeFbFN053VAhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/149302941X?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/149302941X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PFZeFbFN053VA

User Tag List