Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle advice/recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    For new hunters I like to recommend this in 30-06. It can be had for ~$500 and comes with an okay 3-9x40 Nikon scope.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=19691
    This is perfect. Spend the money you save on ammo for practice. Buy several boxes or Remington Core-Lokt 168 gr. Good quality, time proven hunting ammo. Will work just fine on both elk and deer. Comes on sale frequently for $15 A box and is available everywhere.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Howas can be found for mid-$400s pricing using gun.deals, either bare or in a package with Legacy Sports' house brand scopes. (I'd go bare.) The Hogue stock is at least as good as the lower-content Savage stocks and I like the Howa action a good deal better. It's just a smoother, nicer setup.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Not an endorsement of either of the two choices proffered by OP, so disregard if not helpful. In today's social climate, I would no longer buy a sporting rifle. I would only buy a multipurpose modern sporting rifle (likely semi-auto AR platform in 7.62 or other caliber). Mags of standard capacity and limited capacity as required by law for hunting. YMMV.

What's a good reticle for a beginner? Duplex?

Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    What's a good reticle for a beginner? Duplex?
    Yep. Don’t overthink it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thoughts on the JP Sauer 100 rifles as a general purpose hunting rifle.

I have one or two sitting in a local Cabela’s. Its 6.5 Creedmoor and has synthetic desert tan camo stock, 18.5” threaded barrel.

Curious about:
    6.5 in an 18” barrel?
    60* bolt throw?
    Any other considerations.
    David S.

I have a Bergara SPR with an 18” barrel, factory ELD-M 140’s hit 2530ish but made it to 1000 just fine. My reloads are pushing the same bullets just over 2700 FPS. 18” is a good place to be.

Nothing wrong with a short bolt throw.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Both of those rifles are good choices. I’d also look at the Remington M-700, the Tikka T3x, the Winchester M-70, and the Ruger M-77 Hawkeye at a minimum.

Add a good 2.5-8 or 3-9 variable with an objective bell smaller than about 45mm in field-detachable mounts, zero it at 200 yards with the heaviest bullet that the chosen cartridge will move at 2,700 fps, and go forth.
    I just got a good price on a preowned M-77 Hawkeye in 30-06, partly based on the above recommendation. Thoughts on the VX3i 2.5-8x36 scope for the general purpose rifle described above?

I'm used to looking at significantly more expensive optics for AR-15's.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I just got a good price on a preowned M-77 Hawkeye in 30-06, partly based on the above recommendation. Thoughts on the VX3i 2.5-8x36 scope for the general purpose rifle described above?

I'm used to looking at significantly more expensive optics for AR-15's.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile optic for that rifle. Be sure to degrease the scope rings and use plenty of LocTite 243 on all of the screws.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Thoughts on the VX3i 2.5-8x36 scope for the general purpose rifle described above?
    I have two of the VX-3s in that spec.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List