Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We need a DA / SA along micro compact lines

We need a DA / SA along micro compact lines

I mean come on already! Even just a thinner design, smaller for CCW. The Springfield was horrid in my opinion, looked clunky and top heavy. Surely Beretta could trim the PX4 a bit! It needs a refresh anyway. There was mention of a slimmed Omega system on CZ Forum, that was a while back. I think Sig should trim and update the P250 and bring it back!

I just want to time travel to when P239s were plentiful, albeit I imagine one is oversized for your needs. And heavy.

To your thread, and as someone who has “almost bought one” for a few months now, where does the Tomcat fit in your vision? Last surviving DA mouse-sized Neanderthal?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

S&W 3913 and the CS9 have both been discontinued but may be options. I don’t think either are micro compacts but they are small.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The 3913/3953 are only slightly slimmer than a G19 or USPc, and not really any lighter. The 8-round mags give up fully half the ammo on board compared to a USPc with the latest 17-round P30 mags and an X-Grip adaptor. The DA on the small third-gen Smiths is really heavy. The 3953 is one of those that will exceed the capacity of an 11-lb trigger pull force gauge with regularity.

I think it was @HCM who commented that a P250 action downsized to P365 or P365XL would have an overly heavy trigger. I'm not sure I buy that; I'd have to get into the details of the argument.

In any case, I'd be perfectly happy with an LCP action scaled up. My LCP Custom had issues, but once I went through it and deburred and smoothed the action, trigger smoothness and weight were not on the problem side of the ledger. I wrote here at the time that it was surprisingly smooth and reasonably light. It shares the characteristic of a K/L/N frame in that the mainspring is essentially frictionless, so if execution isn't a big bag of suck, it should come out smoother than most. Of all the defects LCPs are known for, failing to ignite small pistol primers doesn't register in my memory as being on the list.

I could also handle the trigger press of my M&P 340. It has stock springs, but is smooth enough that with the lack of friction, I don't have any inclination to try lighter springs. Put that in a P365XL package and I'd be happy.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Those are great and have owned one of em at one time or another. Exactly why we need em. I think kinda build it and they will come sorta thing. I think Sig should have done to the P239 what they did to the P224! Would love a smaller, thinner, lighter Sigpro! Doesn’t have to be P365 small, just better package.

I keep saying S&W needs to make a DA/SA hammer version of the Shield and call it a Shield Chief's Special

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    I have (d)illusions of the “X” in S&W’s CSX being kind of a wildcard… so, potentially, they could add other models to the line… like a CSD for a DA/SA variant. It’s already a hammer-fired action… adding some DA components and a decocker couldn't be toooo hard. Could it? I mean, if you’re an engineer and stuff…

Also… the PPK is still being made. It is, literally, a micro compact DA/SA 9mm(x17). It seems like the new one is generally reliable. Personally, I find fixed-barrel blowbacks to be very accurate, too. But, I also have found the Makarov PM to be about the best of that bunch (in terms of reliability and accuracy). If you’re not dead set on 9x19, I feel like it’s hard to beat a Mak for a rugged, reliable, small, very accurate, DA/SA carry gun. Plus, 9x18 makes slightly bigger holes than capitalist 9mms.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I have (d)illusions of the “X” in S&W’s CSX being kind of a wildcard… so, potentially, they could add other models to the line… like a CSD for a DA/SA variant. It’s already a hammer-fired action… adding some DA components and a decocker couldn't be toooo hard. Could it? I mean, if you’re an engineer and stuff…

Also… the PPK is still being made. It is, literally, a micro compact DA/SA 9mm(x17). It seems like the new one is generally reliable. Personally, I find fixed-barrel blowbacks to be very accurate, too. But, I also have found the Makarov PM to be about the best of that bunch (in terms of reliability and accuracy). If you’re not dead set on 9x19, I feel like it’s hard to beat a Mak for a rugged, reliable, small, very accurate, DA/SA carry gun. Plus, 9x18 makes slightly bigger holes than capitalist 9mms.
    The problem with the PPK, other than it not being terribly reliable and biting even smaller hands, is that it's expensive the way old-school machined-steel guns are. It'd be nice to get the benefits of a DA/SA gun with the economy of a polymer frame and modern engineering.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

FWIW, Ruger makes the LC380 for California…

https://ruger.com/search/state_ca/pistol

…in fact, it’s the only Ruger auto that folks can buy new in the state.

Ruger also offers a 9mm conversion kit for it, because, well “California” again.

https://shopruger.com/LC9-Conversion...uctinfo/90499/

— Michael

Every now and again a manufacturer will do a run of something subcompact...a handful of people will go "Awesome!"....and then everyone else will buy a G19 instead. Or maybe a Shield.

The handful of "subcompacts" that I have:

Name:  IMG_1521-cropped.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  101.0 KB

Detonics Combatmaster (later, GA production), Walther P99c, Sig P220 Compact, Springfield XD-E in 9mm, and an early Detonics Combatmaster

Name:  IMG_1524-cropped.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  59.7 KB

We all know how slim 1911s are, so though it'd be helpful comparing them - the P99c is chonky for sure. The P220C doesn't feel as thick, but visually...it sure is. The XD-E is probably the slimmest of them all, at least in this group.

I don't think I have any other DA/SA subcompacts floating around...the Detonics are there strictly as a control/known; they defined the sub-compact automatic genre when they came out, and still punch at or above their weight class today IMO.

User Tag List