Thread: AAR Dodd and Associates Reactive Shooting June 2020

Site Supporter

AAR Dodd and Associates Reactive Shooting June 2020

I am an active member at a private range NW of Atlanta. Several of the members have shot at Rogers' facility in Elijay GA and met Ronnie Dodd of Dodd and Associates. Ronnie is an instructor at Rogers and has built a Rogers style range in Tennessee.

Four of the members of my range in Georgia signed up for the Dodd Reactive Shooting one day class on June 20. Class started at 830AM. We were mainly interested in access to the Rogers style automated plate range facility vs instruction. We had a short classroom instruction to cover safety and administrative matters then watched a video of Bill Rogers describing his theories on Reactive shooting.

We loaded up and moved to the range complex. Ronnie currently has two of the Rogers style bays with plans to add more in the future. With only four shooters, we got plenty of repetitions on the range. The Rogers "test" has 9 individual tests with total of 125 rounds. There have been just a few people who have scored a 125 on the test and several of those are active on PF I believe. Ronnie demoed each of the Rogers tests and then we each ran the tests 1 through 9. We ate a quick lunch and then ran through the tests for score. Note that the tests demand a lot of one hand shooting - both primary and support - plus reloads using only one hand - primary and support.

I ran the test twice in the time available - first pass was a 65 and second pass was a 71. My weaknesses were one hand only shooting at speed and one hand reloading. Lots of opportunity to improve. We ended the course shooting a 38 round "flurry" of appearing targets with decreasing exposure times - this was shot freestyle and I hit 23 of the 38 and I was happy with that - this 38 round engagement was a lot of fun and great way to end the course. We finished around 230PM and I think we all had enough as it was hot and with just 4 shooters we got a lot of reps in a compressed time.

Equipment - we had two S&W M&Ps 9mm 5 inch and two Glock 9mm - one 34 and one 17. I shot my S&W M&P Gen 1 Core 5 inch 40 with a StormLake 40-9 conversion barrel with APEX trigger and a SRO. I shot my reloads of 115 TMJs over 5.1 WSF in mixed brass with FED small primers loaded on Dillon 550. I shot about 500 rounds in the one day class. I had one ammo related stoppage due to bulged brass (probably someone's 9mm Major case range pick up). I had a CZ P10F OR with SRO as backup but did not need it.

I was happy with my M&P and SRO combo. Definitely helped me on the longer plates and I do not think it slowed me down on the closer plates. I cleaned the SRO glass on a break as it was getting cloudy after a few hundred rounds. I like the M&P with the APEX trigger and the Gen 1 "auto-forward" helped on the speed loading opportunities.

We will try to go to Dodds once per year for one day Reactive events. Maybe try one with my MPX.

Ronnie Dodd / Owner & Firearms Instructor redodd@doddtraining.com / 423.877.0399 Dodd & Associates Training
    2107 Leggett Rd, Sale Creek TN 37343
    doddtraining.com

Per Ronnie Dodd:
    You may also want to view this link. Todd Green, deceased, was an excellent shooter and instructor. He put together this video for those wishing to watch.
    http://pistol-training.com/articles/...l-stage-guides

If you are in the Southeastern US, you owe it to yourself to get some training like this.
    I went over to Rogers several years ago, and it is the most technically demanding shooting I think anywhere. It’s been praised many times.
    Ronnie Dodd having this setup is a way to get the reactive target training that one could previously only get through Rogers or at a government facility. It is challenging, but well worth it in terms of skill analysis and development. Having an instructor and facility where you might get manageable bites at a time is a plus.
    I’ve known Ronnie Dodd for years, and he can walk the walk as well as doing the talk, which is the mark of a teacher in my book.

Site Supporter
    One of the Rogers style lanes, the M&P I used, my 25 yard zero target with M&P and my 115 TMJ reloads

Name:  IMG_2925.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2922.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2923.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  34.1 KB

Thanks for the review. Ronnie was one of my instructors at Rogers. Great guy. There is a three bay Rogers range about twenty minutes from my house! https://southingtonhuntclub.com/rogers-reactive-pistol

User Tag List