Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bari Weiss, NY Times editor resigns with scathing resignation letter

After months of EVERYTHING IS RACIST and WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE I’ve been enjoying a news boycott.

Our media in this country sucks ass.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The biggest middle finger to this new McCarthyism is a vote for Trump.
    Just a few months away and that is my deadline for having everything zeroed.

I don't want this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The online reactions from the left I can find is that she was a bigot cry baby who needed to go. They’re quite pleased with themselves.
    So were Lenin’s followers, right up to the point where they were being marched off to be executed cause they were easily manipulated activists who were obviously enemies of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The online reactions from the left I can find is that she was a bigot cry baby who needed to go. They’re quite pleased with themselves.
    The reaction from the left has for the most giveing credence to what she was alleging.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Hammertime
    The letter makes me sad because journalism is important and while I recognize a leftward bent at the Times I often felt they were careful to do the journalism part “right”.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    The letter makes me sad because journalism is important and while I recognize a leftward bent at the Times I often felt they were careful to do the journalism part “right”.
    Now they can change their slogan to "All the Noise That We Deem Fit to Print"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I forgot how awesome the Silence U documentary series is. For your viewing pleasure:

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    While I'm sorry for her, the incident is instructive and should be a "teachable moment" for those willing to see.
    Catch22. Their very affliction makes them unwilling to see.

“I have the cure for deafness. All one needs do is listen to this set of instructional tapes. “

Or, the actual thing many people found when buying a new VCR... an included vhs tape that contained all of the instructions for setting up your new vcr.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Catch22. Their very affliction makes them unwilling to see.

“I have the cure for deafness. All one needs do is listen to this set of instructional tapes. “

Or, the actual thing many people found when buying a new VCR... an included vhs tape that contained all of the instructions for setting up your new vcr.
    Well, I'm a huge fan of Catch-22 and Joseph Heller, but I don't buy it. Things happen in people's lives that give them new perspective. It can be from personal experience, or it can be learned via observation...viewing, reading, hearing etc.

Granted, nothing can turn a pie in the sky idealist into a much more keen sighted realist than some firsthand observation and experience...but it's simply not the case that people don't evolve from one point of view to another during their lifetimes. I know because I personally have experienced it myself.

How quickly it is accomplished, if it is accomplished, is a different matter.

It is up to us to help others with their metamorphosis...when opportunity allows.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, I'm a huge fan of Catch-22 and Joseph Heller, but I don't buy it. Things happen in people's lives that give them new perspective. It can be from personal experience, or it can be learned via observation...viewing, reading, hearing etc.

Granted, nothing can turn a pie in the sky idealist into a much more keen sighted realist than some firsthand observation and experience...but it's simply not the case that people don't evolve from one point of view to another during their lifetimes. I know because I personally have experienced it myself.

How quickly it is accomplished, if it is accomplished, is a different matter.

It is up to us to help others with their metamorphosis...when opportunity allows.
    I think we may have had this discussion/debate here in the past.

so far in my 45 years, I haven't seen but maybe a handful of people actually, fundamentally, truly change their belief system very dramatically. and even then it's generally tied to recovering from an addiction (with the all-too-often back-slide to accompany it). I've seen a lot of people claim to change, or seem to change, or pretend to change, but precious few actually changed as evidenced by the collapse of their new belief system when tested.

IMO asking some uber-liberal, who believes that they have a special gift of insight on the world that justifies their belief system over and above the little people, to realize the error of their ways and change their viewpoint just isn't going to happen.

and it's damn sure not going to happen because some silly twit (who we happen to agree with today) rage-quit her job on the internet after her coworkers were allegedly mean to her.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List