Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol 4473?

Site Supporter

AR Pistol 4473?

Just bought a BCM pistol lower with an SBA3 brace. Does that get registered as a reciever or a pistol on the 4473?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Just bought a BCM pistol lower with an SBA3 brace. Does that get registered as a reciever or a pistol on the 4473?
    Prevailing guidance indicates that any AR receiver is a 'receiver' until it has an upper installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Per ATF guidelines, stripped or assembled lowers with no upper should be transferred as "other".

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys, just didn't want to run into any issues when tryimg to get it registered as a pistol.

Why would you be registering it? State requirement?
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Why would you be registering it? State requirement?

Yes, Michigan has state handgun registration.

When I bought my lower that I was going to build into a pistol, the 4473 was marked as other.

It may be a best practice to make sure that the FFL dealer transferred it to you, as a “firearm,” or “pistol,” rather than “rifle.”

I am not a lawyer. I am simply saying what would make me feel most comfortable. YMMV.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post

Yes, Michigan has state handgun registration.
    Under federal law it it transfers to you as a "Other" and remains so until you put an upper on it.

Once you put the sub 16" upper on you have made it a pistol. You should ask the the MI state police.

Found this on MI Gun owners:

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/ar.../t-296397.html

You purchase any lower that has not been built into a rifle first. So brand new from company, from someone who hasn't put anything together yet, or an already built pistol. If you purchase brand new from a company, make sure the dealer transfers or sells it as "Other".

Build it and then register it. You don't need to take it in, just pick up a pistol purchase permit, or print one off the internet if you have a CPL. Put down yourself as the buyer and seller. Fill it out completely with specifics. You can change your pistol around later (caliber, barrel length, mag size, ect), without needing to change your purchase permit.
    I'm assuming you would have to do the same thing if you built a pistol from a P80 type kit.

I would also make sure it fits MI's definition of a pistol as it may not be the same as the federal definition.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ...Once you put the sub 16" upper on you have made it a pistol...
    According to federal regulations, it becomes a rifle when a barreled upper (of any length) and a rifle stock is installed. Pistols do not have a minimum or maximum barrel length.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List