Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to EDC a pistol without a traditional belt mounted holster? (medical problems)

Wear a light blanket over yourself while cruisin' in your wheelchair, and pull out your "Invalid-Special" gun-of-choice from underneath the blanket...shotgun preferred. I believe (might be misremembering) this was a method of choice for an infamous lawman working violent-and-organized crime down on a task force down in Miami, Detective Ricardo Tubbs.

Or just wear a shoulder holster. Good quality guns don't randomly go boom in the holster, I wouldn't worry about the "flagging" issue. What sort of gun are you carrying? If it's a Glock or Beretta 92, I'll loan you a Galco Miami Classic II for the time being. I don't need it right now, but I'll want it back.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Wear a light blanket over yourself while cruisin' in your wheelchair, and pull out your "Invalid-Special" gun-of-choice from underneath the blanket...shotgun preferred. I believe (might be misremembering) this was a method of choice for an infamous lawman working violent-and-organized crime down on a task force down in Miami, Detective Ricardo Tubbs.

Or just wear a shoulder holster. Good quality guns don't randomly go boom in the holster, I wouldn't worry about the "flagging" issue. What sort of gun are you carrying? If it's a Glock or Beretta 92, I'll loan you a Galco Miami Classic II for the time being. I don't need it right now, but I'll want it back.
    LOL

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm not sure how long this is going to drag out, and I'm looking for a long term solution that may be used again in the future. I know it's probably irrational, but I just can't bring myself to carry a gun in a way that puts the muzzle on children, women, old people and busloads of nuns. Too creepy for me.

For the record, G19, S&W 2.0 compact, 1.0 compact, and a S&W Shield are my main carry options. I've got nothing smaller/lighter than the Shield in my current inventory. I may have to change that.

I appreciate all the good suggestions so far. There are some interesting products that I hadn't heard of before.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Shoulder holsters obviously come to mind, but I won't carry a gun in a way that flags everyone around me such as a horizontal shoulder holster.
    Then it sounds like you want a shoulder holster that holds the gun vertically.

I can't find it now of course but I saw a suspender once that was a little unusual. It was a single piece that clipped to the holster or belt just in front of the gun, runs up over the opposite shoulder and down the back to clip to belt or holster just behind the gun. One still needed a belt but it could be worn a lot looser than normal because the suspender took the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Or just wear a shoulder holster. Good quality guns don't randomly go boom in the holster, I wouldn't worry about the "flagging" issue. What sort of gun are you carrying?
    I know it's probably irrational, but I just can't bring myself to carry a gun in a way that puts the muzzle on children, women, old people and busloads of nuns. Too creepy for me.
    The thing is, a lot of your vertical shoulder rigs are going to add some retention and contortions that may make it harder to draw. Particularly if you've got any sort of moobs/belly to reach across. here's one with some added retention

The flip side is, if you're low on moobs/belly, concealing a fullsize gun horizontally can be challenging. Even a Glock 19. That's part of the reason the original Jackass rig hangs the gun with the muzzle pointing slightly up. That slight muzzle-up might make you feel better about things.

FWIW, if you do consider a shoulder rig, mags carried horizontal is *way* easier to access as well. IMO the Miami Classic II is the way to go, if you can get over the flagging thing (that, as TGS mentions, isn't really an issue).

Absent that, I'd be looking at pocket carry with suspenders, provided your day-to-day dress code allows for it. If you're retired, i seem to see old guys with a wife beater, hawaiian style shirt, and suspenders between the two all the time. Black socks and shorts for the added grey man.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The thing is, a lot of your vertical shoulder rigs are going to add some retention and contortions that may make it harder to draw. Particularly if you've got any sort of moobs/belly to reach across. here's one with some added retention

The flip side is, if you're low on moobs/belly, concealing a fullsize gun horizontally can be challenging. Even a Glock 19. That's part of the reason the original Jackass rig hangs the gun with the muzzle pointing slightly up. That slight muzzle-up might make you feel better about things.

FWIW, if you do consider a shoulder rig, mags carried horizontal is *way* easier to access as well. IMO the Miami Classic II is the way to go, if you can get over the flagging thing (that, as TGS mentions, isn't really an issue).

Absent that, I'd be looking at pocket carry with suspenders, provided your day-to-day dress code allows for it. If you're retired, i seem to see old guys with a wife beater, hawaiian style shirt, and suspenders between the two all the time. Black socks and shorts for the added grey man.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. This begins to put the shoulder holster world into a practical, functional perspective.

For the record, I'm near 40 and beginning to straddle the gap between athletic and dad bod. About 5'8", 160 something #'s, active, tool-using professional worker bee, hand callouses, mover of physical objects and doer of things. I've always needed a fairly tight belt just to keep my pants up due to an unfortunate lack of an ass. No gut or moobs, but my mile time dropped far enough that I stopped timing in favor of 'I ran it', which has become the new standard.

This whole business is seriously going to cramp my style. It looks like the beginning of a long haul without a clear end in sight. I think I'm about to take a deep dive into the world of suspenders. I may have just officially joined the ranks of 'the old'. C'est la vie. It had to happen sooner or later.
    Last edited by frozentundra; 07-15-2020 at 09:27 AM.

If you can handle light abdominal pressure thunder wear might work. Most of the weight is carried on the hips and a Shield is not that heavy.

It will conceal under elastic shorts/sweats so no belt required.

There are a number of variants in the vertical shoulder holster world. They also vary in how easy to draw or release from the holster.

If you have physical limitations, you may just have to decide what priorities you are willing to balance and reposition. A vertical shoulder rig may not be as fast as some other belt rigs etc, but are easy to carry and you dont have the flagging concern. What is "enough" in regards to speed, ease of use, security, comfort for you individually with your personal limitations, and feeling OK about not flagging busloads of kids and nuns?

Pocket is very comfortable and handy to me (with pocket sized gun), but sucks when seated. Vertical shoulder rigs arent as fast, but good seated and in vehicles. They are also easy on the back and waistline and work when no belt or "real clothes" are worn. I use one when feeding the birds in the yard wearing skivies and flip flops, and generally hanging around the house and yard slumming and not needing to dress for the world. An alloy Colt Agent or Smith 24 are both easy and comfortable in such use.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Front pocket carry with a P365 in a sticky holster has been working well for me for about 2 years.

Obviously a quality gun belt and traditional leather or kydex holster is by far the best option to carry a pistol.

How do you EDC a decent pistol if you can't use a normal belt and holster arrangement? Think abdominal injury, hernia, surgery, medical conditions, etc..... belt pressure is no bueno.

Shoulder holsters obviously come to mind, but I won't carry a gun in a way that flags everyone around me such as a horizontal shoulder holster. External packs would be conspicuous as hell for many occasions.

Any bright ideas?
    Undoubtedly the best solution is a shoulder holster.

As Rob_S mentioned the original Jackass Rig carries the gun with a slight muzzle-up, butt down cant (about 20-30º). Such a cant not only increases concealment considerably, but helps put the muzzle away to offset the flagging issue.

That said, it is the nature of the beast, you either opt for a very sub-optimal form of carry (ankle, off-body), a sub-optimal weapon (sub-compact pistol in a pocket), or you accept that the 'danger' of a shoulder holster. I use quotes, because in my opinion the 'danger' aspect is overblown. A good shoulder holster will keep the gun as firm and steady as a belt holster, without major concern.

An upside down rig will keep the muzzle up...you'll probably be muzzling yourself at times, but again I think it's not a major concern (I carry a revolver in an upside down rig quite frequently). For your guns - probably the best design is the Ken Null USH - http://www.klnullholsters.com/NewHolsters/ush-x.htm - In horsehide it will be supremely light and very stiff, highly unlikely you would have an issue. A Shield would likely work very well in this rig and it will be very light. The offside uses a suspender clip and it will help hold your pants up, I bet if you asked Mr. Null, he'd make you a short tether with a suspender clip on the gun side as well. You could keep your pants up sans-belt and sans-suspenders, just by carrying your gun.

User Tag List