Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffer question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Both uppers are 100% factory. One is 11.5" BCM ELW barrel, other is Larue 12.5" Ultimate upper (Stealth barrel). Ejection on both is closer to 3:00 but brass appears fine. Although I didn't look too close.
    Oh ok, yeah, that's more of what I would think. By common convention, your rifle "should" get at least an H buffer.

Unless someone pipes up with some data from an armorers course that 3 O'Clock ejection is proven to result in an X-percentage lower bolt life, I think it's a fairly academic "should", though. I'd probably do it (H, H2 or A5) just because I'm a geek and would want it smoother, anyway. I don't think it's anything to worry about IMO, though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I experiment with heavier buffer springs first then experiment with heavier buffers. A heavier spring (e.g., Sprinco blue or Sprinco red) performs the same function as a heavier buffer but without adding reciprocating weight, which causes muzzle jump. I have carbine standard, Sprinco blue and Sprinco red springs and standard carbine, H, H2 and H3 buffers. I experiment by trying different combinations of spring weights and buffer weights and determining which combination works best in controlling muzzle jump while maintaining reliable functioning.

Spent case ejection angle can be be affected by the BCG finish. I've had NiB BCGs eject at 1 o'clock that when swapped with a phosphate BCG in the same gun change ejection angle to 4 o'clock. Similar situation with BCG lube. A phosphate BCG that reliably ejected to 4 o'clock with one lube suddenly starts ejecting to 1 o'clock with Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm.

Bottom line- Carbine buffers are too light. They give sharper than necessary recoil even when an AR is properly gassed, giving the shooter the impression the AR is over gassed. An AR with a carbine buffer isn't over gassed, it's under buffered.

The standard buffer for an issue M4 is the H2. The standard buffer for a Colt civilian 6920 is an H.

The H3 is the same weight as a rifle buffer and an A5H2, but things start getting out of balance with an H3 because you're stuck using a carbine length spring. It's better to switch to an A5 or rifle setup at that point, to gain the advantage of the longer length of the rifle spring.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Buffer weight is pointless on a semi-auto AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    After experimenting with various buffers & gas settings, I must disagree.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    You'll have to sell that kind of bullshit in a Facebook gun group. We ain't buyin'.

I'm fairly clueless with rifles and know it. So what I did for my 16" Mid BCM upper was look up BCM's specs for their complete 16" midlength rifles and copy that, at least as a starting point (happens to be an H buffer and a presumably mil-spec spring). You could probably do the same, again at least as a place to start.

(Edited typo)

Interesting discussion. I was contemplating using more than one upper, on a lower, as I recently added several uppers, so have more completed uppers than completed lowers, at this time.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    You'll have to sell that kind of bullshit in a Facebook gun group. We ain't buyin'.
    Whoever pissed in your Cheerios this morning swiped your manners too.

FACT: Since the XM177, the CAR buffer was standard until the Colt 920. Over 30 years of Colt carbine models from the XM177 to the 723/733 never had an issue with a CAR buffer.

FACT: The M4 Program introduced the H buffer and M4 feedramps to fix feed issues in full auto. Colt fixed the issues with either the feedramps or the H buffer, leaving a redundancy. The feed issues were all under full auto conditions, there was NOT an issue in semi-auto only with the M4 Carbine.

FACT: M4A1 received the H2 buffer after issues due to full auto and the heavier barrel profile. Once again, there was NO issues in semi-auto with the M4A1.

FACT: H3 buffers were designed for the Colt IAR. There were NEVER designed for a DI AR-15, only a meme piston AR.

Now, last I checked, there ain't a COTS AR-15 with a happy switch. There is NO need for a heavy buffer on a semi-auto only AR15. There were not engineered because you have an under/over gassed AR or there was a problem with the CAR buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    After experimenting with various buffers & gas settings, I must disagree.
    I have never seen a problem that was directly related to the buffer. I will agree you can smooth up the recoil impulse with a heavier buffer, but I will retain that it is not needed for proper function.

There is a problematic issue in the AR world that can be viewed in this very forum. People get an AR and start changing shit before they even fire it because Brand Y is shit, you need Brand X widget to make a M4gery not fall apart in your hands. Let alone people with functional AR-15s that read forums and buy into the marketing side instead of 60 years of government development and actually shooting their functional AR-15. It's not an firearm issue, but marketing bullshit that can be found in motor vehicles, guitars, and anything else where the tangible goods can last for lifetimes.

User Tag List