Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Techniques

For a while now, I've used the FBI, neck index, and harries for my low light needs (ha, not very much need here.)

Those three address the demand for a body-detached searching position, a right and left side of cover position, and pure engagement. Because those three flow so nicely into each other and require no regripping, that is my main menu of low light technique.

I've always liked the idea of the Rogers technique, but it became the odd man out for me, since it was the only one to require a grip change. My hands also don't stay together well when I shoot the gun. I know some others have a lot of success with the Rogers technique, so I think there is something I am missing or not doing right.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I am not consistent with the rogers technique. It requires a lot of effort to get the flashlight to work plus use the grip correctly and I do not feel it helps that much in recoil as it is not a super strong grip for me. I much prefer the neck index and harries.

Every time I try the Rogers technique, I find myself thinking "boy, wouldn't it be nice if there were some way to just mount a flashlight directly on the gun so I could use my normal grip?"
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

thats why I like harries with a lanyard and a wml lol.

If my carry gun had a rail, I'd use a WML no questions asked.

After lots, and I mean LOTS, of runs through various FoF drills, scenarios, working nights, buildings searches, etc., I use modified FBI for searching, and neck index or Harries for shooting exclusively. I haven't found a use for any of the other techniques.

Of course this is barring use of a WML, which would become the go-to for shooting.

Chuck, one of the issues I've seen raised with Harries is that it can be fatiguing and difficult to sustain over significant periods of time. Any thoughts on how to address that?
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Chuck, one of the issues I've seen raised with Harries is that it can be fatiguing and difficult to sustain over significant periods of time. Any thoughts on how to address that?
    Hit the gym Buttercup.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Hit the gym Buttercup.
    And to think that I typed, then edited out, something to the effect of "how to address that, other than 'get stronger'?"

Where's a facepalm emoticon when you need one? {sigh}

It is an issue, no doubt about it. Harries is quite fatiguing over an extended period. Other than the "better conditioning" answer, I don't know what to tell you; except that even when one is in good shape, Harries will still wear you down if you don't cheat and relax a bit of that isometric tension.

If you want a real work-out, try holding Harries and searching for a while with a three cell MagLite or SL-20…

User Tag List