Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    If you want a real work-out, try holding Harries and searching for a while with a three cell MagLite or SL-20…
    I like the theory that neck-index emerged as a preferred technique because it (a) enabled you to rest your 3D Maglite on your shoulder and (b) overhand swing the butt end of said Maglite directly forward onto a deserving recipient's dome...
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I treat it like a punch, a guy who really knows how to throw one doesn't have the fist clenched really hard until just before impact.

I use Harries as an on demand technique, situationally to the scenario, angle, cover, and/or distance from the target, as a shooting position or when I am going guns up on a bad guy and really close to shooting. I do not search from there. Using Harries the way I do leads to it being a short time period technique and fatigue doesn't become and issue.

I also work out ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    I like the theory that neck-index emerged as a preferred technique because it (a) enabled you to rest your 3D Maglite on your shoulder and (b) overhand swing the butt end of said Maglite directly forward onto a deserving recipient's dome...
    It was the club technique back when I started using it, but Ken Good likely popularized "neck index" more than anyone else I know or have heard of, and he used lights like 6Ps the whole time.

Let me guess, Chuck…

One of your brass hats saw some dipstick using his WML like a regular flashlight (while still mounted on the pistol), and that's why you guys are prohibited from using them?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    And to think that I typed, then edited out, something to the effect of "how to address that, other than 'get stronger'?"

Where's a facepalm emoticon when you need one? {sigh}
    I could see harries getting tiresome if you were using it for very elongated searching. I like it for quick applications and it feels the best to shoot from for me. Most searching I prefer neck index or FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Let me guess, Chuck…

One of your brass hats saw some dipstick using his WML like a regular flashlight (while still mounted on the pistol), and that's why you guys are prohibited from using them?

Nope. Just SWAT and K9, and patrol never had pistol lights to begin with, because someone somewhere though that a WML might get misused some day.........

Funny thing is I had a light on my pistol ever since Sure Fire came out with the old school originals for the 5906 back in the day. Now that I am no longer in SWAT and "just" a patrol guy I am unqualified to carry a light on my pistol, even though I am an adjunct instructor for a company that is famous for low light training, and I wrote our training and GOs on the subject, and trained my tac team on how to use WMLs........

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    I could see harries getting tiresome if you were using it for very elongated searching. I like it for quick applications and it feels the best to shoot from for me. Most searching I prefer neck index or FBI.
    Seriously, Mod FBI is for searching, neck index is for shooting. Searching from neck index draws fire right to your face.

In your experience has that been true when using it momentary while moving as well? I much prefer the. FBI for searching as it seems easier to move it around. I always thought neck index was kinda sketchy for shooting since it's so easy to wash out your sights. It's also funny that most people miss low left lol. I thought all the techniques attract bullets so no matter the technique you needed to keep moving/only use the light momentarily. The main reason I thought you didn't want to search wth harries was to not flag people potentially - FBI for searching and wml for shooting seems the ticket to me when we play fof with airsoft - with neck index filling small voids around obstacles/ certain barriers. Is this way off base?
    Last edited by justintime; 02-11-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Ck an

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    In your experience has that been true when using it momentary while moving as well? I much prefer the. FBI for searching as it seems easier to move it around

Very much so. Mod FBI allows one to use the light much more chaotically and with more flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I treat it like a punch, a guy who really knows how to throw one doesn't have the fist clenched really hard until just before impact.

I use Harries as an on demand technique, situationally to the scenario, angle, cover, and/or distance from the target, as a shooting position or when I am going guns up on a bad guy and really close to shooting. I do not search from there. Using Harries the way I do leads to it being a short time period technique and fatigue doesn't become and issue.

I also work out ;-p
    THIS^. Okay, a huge problem is that most people don't teach Harries correctly. I trained with Mike Harries for a lot of years. When you are shooting or very much ready to shoot, you are exerting isometric tension to control the light and pistol. Otherwise you are relaxed. I can, and have, spent hours searching in Harries and it works exceptionally well. It is after all a search and evaluation technique that is used to essentially "hunt" with a light and a pistol. A WML is better geared towards shooting with a light vs. searching with a light. Guess which one you do more of? If you see someone shooting from Harries and you can see the back of their shooting hand behind the knuckles, they are doing something, but it is NOT Harries. Like Chuck, I run highly relaxed and simply "lock up" if the pistol comes on to a target. I also have a very easy and rapid system to seamlessly flow the light from Modified FBI, Neck Index, Harries, and Reverse Harries to a force tool with no issue and without any kind of manipulation on the light..........and I can use any kind of light from a speciality made Surefire to a Maglite from Home Depot to a simple emergency light from 7/11.

I spent a good portion of my career using a rechargeable Maglite, held like a club for a primary light. The "neck index" was no more than how we approached many people and vehicles on traffic stops-back of the light on the shoulder with the head index to where you were looking. You took it off the shoulder for angling or putting the light where you didn't want your head. The smaller lights simply made this easier.

I still get back to my question. We have all these folks using a syringe technique.....can a few chime in to how you are using the light when not linked to the shooting hand?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List