Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Techniques

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Thanks, JHC -- I appreciate that

I've done a similar thing, Coyotesfan. In the most extreme example I can think of, I was hiding behind a file cabinet and just made sure to keep myself within the shadow that it cast. I couldn't even see the guy who was looking for me, but he was using constant light. As the shadow shifted, I just moved with it, ensuring that I was always "behind" the cabinet from his perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Sorry... that was longer than I expected and I'm not sure I even addressed your question.
    -- Yup, nailed it - and upsold AMIS while you were at it.

I watched Byron engage 4 hostiles in a pitch black room and destroy all of them without a single round touching him on his second time through AMIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    The AMIS curriculum places heavy stress on pacing up and pacing down, often changing on a dime. This applies both to physical movement (moving at a snail's pace one second, running the next, and then back to anywhere on the spectrum) as well as light use (sometimes using brief strobes, sometimes using constant-on). There's definitely no always/never solution. As such, trying to verbalize some of this comes across as wishy-washy... "sometimes do this... sometimes do that..." but there really is a huge decision-making component to the coursework.
    +1

I took AMIS for the first time this April in Memphis. I don't think anything I could write on this forum could do justice toward explaining the complexity of the AMIS coursework. Like ECQC, it's one of those things you have to see and do in person to even begin to get a grasp on the material. Learning to pick up on where you are exposed while moving trough a structure and more importantly when and how to minimize exposure through trying to conform your body to the structure or changing pace is way more challenging than it sounds. Southnarc emphasizes that there is no safe way to move through a structure solo (vs. with a team) and that you shouldn't do it unless you have to. AMIS, like ECQC, was an eye opening experience that left me with a lot to reflect on, a lot to practice, and a lot to learn. I highly recommend it and plan on taking it again sometime next year.

I was lucky enough to make it through the final test at AMIS without getting shot. I'm not sure how many in our class had clean runs but it was few enough that it convinced me that if I had to do it for real I would want to be wearing some soft armor and have a handgun with as many bullets as I can fit in it (maybe a G17 with one of those 33 round mags!). I have started keeping a Klarus XT11 strobing handheld with a lanyard on my nightstand next to my EDC pistol since I finished AMIS.

As far as the original topic of this thread, I ran both a WML and a handheld light during the nighttime portion of AMIS and found that a strobing handheld light was far more useful for hunting through the structure than the WML. The WML was rarely used. I used the Southnarc recommended modified FBI technique using short bursts of light while keeping the light constantly moving. SN empisized that lights draw bullets and had a couple of shot out handheld and WMLs on hand from previous AMIS classes to make his point.

- Hugh
    Last edited by HCL3; 06-07-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Bump.

I'm just an electrician , that has never been in a day or night shootout, but after attending a low light practice session with Todd and trying a bunch of different techniques , in different scenarios I decided that I like fbi, neck and then Rogers.With FBI and neck I felt like I had better vision.I also figured if I were in a shootout at night ,when in doubt I'd shoot at bad guys light it makes a good target most likely right in front of the bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    This is why I like turning lights on as I come to them. The best is when you hit a central switch that turns on a lot of lights.

The people hiding know you are there. The darkness gives them an added advantage. Turning on lights takes that away. Hiding gives them the advantage. My dog levels that field. With no dog good tactics and a slow search are a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was my favorite low light tactic............make it light. I also used a lot of deception with light combined with driving with light. The key was having multiple lights.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    I'm just an electrician , that has never been in a day or night shootout, but after attending a low light practice session with Todd and trying a bunch of different techniques , in different scenarios I decided that I like fbi, neck and then Rogers.With FBI and neck I felt like I had better vision.I also figured if I were in a shootout at night ,when in doubt I'd shoot at bad guys light it makes a good target most likely right in front of the bad guy.
    I like FBI/Nick-Temple hold as well, but when it comes to speed, two handed cigar/syringe style is definitely faster. I think we should train with both techniques and use them appropriately depending on the situation.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I like FBI/Nick-Temple hold as well, but when it comes to speed, two handed cigar/syringe style is definitely faster. I think we should train with both techniques and use them appropriately depending on the situation.
    Cody
    Faster how? It's always been much slower to the first shot when transitioning from searching to shooting for me.

Just a question for those using techniques with the light held between the fingers and using the palm to activate (Rogers, cigar, syringe, whatever...). How are you holding the light when you go to neck index or off line (Modified FBI)?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List